Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Weightloss Platueau (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445629)

MyPerfectLife 09-20-2012 01:59 PM

Weightloss Platueau

Well, I have been dieting (calorie counting) and exercising the same way for a couple of months. I was losing great ... down 30 lbs so far! Then, all of a sudden, I'm not losing any more. Doing the same stuff, exactly, but not losing. In fact, I even gained a pound :banghead:. Any tips? Suggestions? Anyone to wallow in misery with?
I just want to give up. Everything I read says plateaus are normal and it's time to change something ... but, I've never had success with dieting until now, so to change what's working is hard to accept. I changed my workout a little and am hoping that will help - not more or anything, just different workout.
Ugh.
Vent over.

Vie.en.Rose 09-20-2012 02:21 PM

Re: Weightloss Platueau

First of all, congrats on losing 30lbs!! That's a huge accomplishment! One thing I found helps when I hit a plateau is to shake up your calorie consumption... So eat 1200 calories one day, 1800 then next. You're still averaging 1500 calories daily, but it keeps your body guessing a little bit. Also make sure you're eating several small meals every day, rather than just two or three big ones.

Can you tell us a bit about your daily routine in terms of eating and excercising? How long have you been at this plateau?

Try not to stress about it. You've done a really great job so far!

l_Kimmie_l 09-20-2012 03:30 PM

Also - you need to do different work outs as your body gets used to them.

MyPerfectLife 09-20-2012 03:35 PM

Thank you so much!
So my day usually looks like this:
8:00 small meal approx 250 cals (like egg and low carb toast or pb and low carb toast)
9:30 40 min cardio (elliptical, bike, rower).
10:30 small snack approx 100 cals (apple, nuts, string cheese, for example)
1:00 lunch approx 350 cals (like a sandwich, leftovers, frozen entree)
4:00 light dinner (varies, but usually 300-400 cals, usually something veggieish)
6:00 snack (varies based on daily consumption, examples incl veggies, nuts, peanut butter, cheese, lean meats)
Three nights a week I walk half hour as well after dinner.
I have T2, so trying to stay low carb hence the meaty, cheesy tendencies. I'm most careful about sticking to 1400-1500 cals per day, aware of fats and carbs. I watch my blood sugar carefully... Always under 125.
I have been in a rut of elliptical for 20 mins and bike 20 mins so I have changed that up the past two days swimming laps and jogging instead.
I drink powerade zero and water... I cut out most soda but some mornings do have a coke zero for the caffeine.
I started at 223. I am at 183.4 now. I'm 5'4.
Would love tips and advice! I'm trying to get this going again because I'm starting a full time internship in January after not working for 7 years. I need to set a good example for my kids and get healthy! Help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum

savingmomof2boys 09-20-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dele33
First of all, congrats on losing 30lbs!! That's a huge accomplishment! One thing I found helps when I hit a plateau is to shake up your calorie consumption... So eat 1200 calories one day, 1800 then next. You're still averaging 1500 calories daily, but it keeps your body guessing a little bit. Also make sure you're eating several small meals every day, rather than just two or three big ones.

Try not to stress about it. You've done a really great job so far!

I agree with this completely.

Frizabeans 09-20-2012 09:02 PM

Great job momma!! Try adding some weight training and add some intervals in your cardio. Spice it up and keep your body guessing.

diaperangel 09-20-2012 10:19 PM

Hey mama,

Congrats on your success so far! Don't worry, your body will find it's healthy weight if you continue to shift your lifestyle to become more and more healthy.

I have some suggestions for you - my approach is a little different, if you are open :) I work with holistic nutrition and emotional imagery.

Calorie counting isn't the best idea for long term weight management/release. Reason being that your body needs the highest density in nutrition possible. Sometimes when we calorie count, we waste our meals and snacks with nutritionally less dense foods.

Also, the more you can become aware of your body's needs, the more you should be able to "feel" when you are eating appropriate amounts.

You will also store fat for different reasons - such as toxins built up in your fat cells that aren't being metabolized. Calorie counting will never get rid if this problem.

So:

1. Forget calorie counting all together. 1200 calories a day is not sustainable, and will affect your metabolism.

2. Shift to a whole food approach, where you eat leafy greens as your main source, then other vegg, then fruits, then lean proteins, then dairy or substitutes, then grains (whole grain and quinoa type grains). Less processed foods, as little sugar as possible, but maple syrup, honey etc is great to sweeten :-) it's not CARB reduction its processed sugar reduction.

3. NO artificial sweetener - ever. EVER. Raw organic sugar, honey, maple syrup, fruit etc is FINE to eat, but NEVER EVER consume artificial sweetener. (Stevia is great and the others mentioned). Aspartame and Sucralose have been shown not only to slow weight loss, but are also highly toxic to the body (which will slow weight loss because the body will hoard fat to protect it's organs).
**no powerade - there are healthier options that do't have the color or chemical content.

4. Working out os only 20% of the weight release answer - so, do what you love, and do it often. If you can up your time to 40 minutes that would be awesome, and if you can add weight bearing activity once or twice a week, you would notice a huge difference.

Anyways mama - I would be more than happy to help you shift some of this if you are interested. It is really a huge shift in mindset away from calorie counting, but it works, and it is the healthiest way to go about weight release.

PM me if you want some help or more detail - I feel like I am writing a book here!

JellEBeanDesigns 09-30-2012 07:48 AM

You are where I started (184) I got down to 176 pretty easily plateau and then back on track to 144 I stayed at 144 for a year!!! I recently broke the plateau and am at 135.5 as of last month-- my month in calories looks like this
Week 1 1600
Week 2 1800
Week 3 1900
Week 4 1200 + 1/2 exercise calories
My week working out looks likes this
M 3 mile run and 30 day shred
T 5 mile run 30 ds
W 4 miles 30 ds
Th 30 ds
F 3 miles 30 ds
S 6-10 miles
My weight program changes monthly and I don't do the cardio in 30ds
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife (Post 15709187)
Thank you so much!
So my day usually looks like this:
8:00 small meal approx 250 cals (like egg and low carb toast or pb and low carb toast)
9:30 40 min cardio (elliptical, bike, rower).
10:30 small snack approx 100 cals (apple, nuts, string cheese, for example)
1:00 lunch approx 350 cals (like a sandwich, leftovers, frozen entree)
4:00 light dinner (varies, but usually 300-400 cals, usually something veggieish)
6:00 snack (varies based on daily consumption, examples incl veggies, nuts, peanut butter, cheese, lean meats)
Three nights a week I walk half hour as well after dinner.
I have T2, so trying to stay low carb hence the meaty, cheesy tendencies. I'm most careful about sticking to 1400-1500 cals per day, aware of fats and carbs. I watch my blood sugar carefully... Always under 125.
I have been in a rut of elliptical for 20 mins and bike 20 mins so I have changed that up the past two days swimming laps and jogging instead.
I drink powerade zero and water... I cut out most soda but some mornings do have a coke zero for the caffeine.
I started at 223. I am at 183.4 now. I'm 5'4.
Would love tips and advice! I'm trying to get this going again because I'm starting a full time internship in January after not working for 7 years. I need to set a good example for my kids and get healthy! Help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum