Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   If you believe in vaxing, but have friends who don't... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445759)

chandni3 09-20-2012 09:28 PM

If you believe in vaxing, but have friends who don't...

Do you try to see them less when pregnant or with a new baby? Would you be more concerned if there was a group of them who hang out who all don't vax? This is my situation. A lot of people at our church don't vax their kids. If it was just one family I would be less concerned, it's just that there's a number of them. The only good thing is they all home school and live out in the country so I guess they have less exposure.

becky1231 09-20-2012 09:39 PM

Re: If you believe in vaxing, but have friends who don't...

I have friends that I see very very often that don't vax for various reasons. I have never really limited my time around them when I was preggo or with small children. I figure that I am encountering a lot of people that have unvaxed kids through out the course of my daily activities and don't even know it. If they are going to get it they are going to get it and I know I have done all possible for my kids to help lessen the chances of them getting it.

bluedaisyma 09-20-2012 09:52 PM

I don't vax, but I also don't have my kids walking around with measles, pertussis, polio, diptheria, etc, so they would be of no risk to your new baby or you. I find that to be true of everyone I know who does not vax.

NiNi 09-20-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedaisyma
I don't vax, but I also don't have my kids walking around with measles, pertussis, polio, diptheria, etc, so they would be of no risk to your new baby or you. I find that to be true of everyone I know who does not vax.

This

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos :)

SarahS12 09-21-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becky1231
I have friends that I see very very often that don't vax for various reasons. I have never really limited my time around them when I was preggo or with small children. I figure that I am encountering a lot of people that have unvaxed kids through out the course of my daily activities and don't even know it. If they are going to get it they are going to get it and I know I have done all possible for my kids to help lessen the chances of them getting it.

This is my situation as well.

jamie714 09-21-2012 01:10 AM

I do vac but have several friends who do not. I really have never thought about it. I don't feel they are a threat to the health of me or my children. I do however keep my kids away from theirs if mine has a bad cold as it could be pertussis that would be minor for us but worse for them. My kids get a cold maybe once a year though so no big deal. I would also keep my young baby away from anyone who was sick, vaxed or not.

nicolemariep 09-21-2012 02:00 AM

I'm actually a little worried about this with this coming winter baby. The only thing I'm really worried about is pertussis because the symptoms are that of a common cold for 10 days to 2 weeks before the coughing starts and the whooping cough is actually diagnosed. Washington is in the midst of a major whooping cough outbreak and it makes me a little nervous for the newbie because infants are most at risk. I'm not sure what I'll do though...

jeebee 09-21-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedaisyma (Post 15710433)

Most viruses are most contagious right before symptoms start and anybody realises they are sick. Just saying. I don't think most people go out of their way to get other people sick.

jeebee 09-21-2012 02:36 AM

But to answer the question... no I don't do anything special. My nephew is unvaxed. I figure there are plenty of unvaxed people around who you wouldn't know about. We just do general hygiene, handwashing etc.

aries416 09-21-2012 05:39 AM

The thought to stay away doesn't even cross my mind. I don't ask people if they vax or not, so how would I ever know? My kids are vaxed, but on a delayed schedule.