Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Kangaroo mother care! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445760)

cathplyr 09-20-2012 08:31 PM

Kangaroo mother care!

I wanted to share the concept of KMC with preemie mothers. As far as I know most doctors do not even acknowledge this exists and will not suggest it. Here is the beautiful article I learned about it from:

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/08/mothe...bye-saves.html

The concept is that the best way for a newborn or preemie to regulate all her systems, her temperature her breathing and her coloring is as simple as being held skin to skin on mom or dad's or anyone else's chest. But the issue is that doctors want to hook your baby to a machine and do tests and put them in an incubator. But no machine will help as much as mom. This is an established concept and articles and studies have been done to prove it may save preemie's lives. BUT THERE IS NO PROFIT IN IT FOR THE HOSPITALS. and so they continue to ignore the facts. The article is about one woman and her 20 oz preemie. But this is not a unique case. you will read in the article that medical care does have its place, but mom has a higher place. Preemie moms should insist to be able to hold their preemies unless it is medically necessary that their preemie needs to be taken away for procedures.

Caz 09-21-2012 09:55 PM

Re: Kangaroo mother care!

I guess I might be mistaken, but I thought this was pretty standard in most NICUs? I know my friends and family that have had NICU babies did Kangaroo Care...

Belle1002 09-22-2012 09:09 PM

Kangaroo care has been a standard in every NICU I've worked in and the one where our children were when they were born. They still use monitors so they have the monitoring capabilities and make use of what technology is available, but kangaroo care is very much a part of the treatment plan.

twinmomstl 09-28-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathplyr
I wanted to share the concept of KMC with preemie mothers. As far as I know most doctors do not even acknowledge this exists and will not suggest it. Here is the beautiful article I learned about it from:

The concept is that the best way for a newborn or preemie to regulate all her systems, her temperature her breathing and her coloring is as simple as being held skin to skin on mom or dad's or anyone else's chest. But the issue is that doctors want to hook your baby to a machine and do tests and put them in an incubator. But no machine will help as much as mom. This is an established concept and articles and studies have been done to prove it may save preemie's lives. BUT THERE IS NO PROFIT IN IT FOR THE HOSPITALS. and so they continue to ignore the facts. The article is about one woman and her 20 oz preemie. But this is not a unique case. you will read in the article that medical care does have its place, but mom has a higher place. Preemie moms should insist to be able to hold their preemies unless it is medically necessary that their preemie needs to be taken away for procedures.

Funny how most hospitals DO acknowledge this and DO allow moms to hold their babies. We do not do our jobs to make money for the hospital and its rude that you would even imply that. Not ever preemie is stable enough to be held, did you ever think of that?

vmomma 09-29-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathplyr (Post 15710323)

Are you serious?? As a mom of a 25 weeker, I would like to ask that you educate yourself before you come on a board like this with accusations. Had it not been for the machines, my daughter would have died 100 times over. Kangaroo care is very important, however you can't replace one with the other.

napua 09-30-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmomma

Are you serious?? As a mom of a 25 weeker, I would like to ask that you educate yourself before you come on a board like this with accusations. Had it not been for the machines, my daughter would have died 100 times over. Kangaroo care is very important, however you can't replace one with the other.

EXACTLY!!! As a Mom of two preemies that were very, very sick, I find this to be ridiculous! My oldest was born at 28 weeks and is now 11 years old. The NICU staff was amazing and kangaroo care was used as often as possible. Once I was able to hold her they had both me and my husband doing kangaroo care. My son was born at 34 weeks but developed pneumonia due to aspirating at birth. He was in the NICU for 3 weeks and as soon and I was able to hold him at 6 days old they suggested kangaroo care.

I don't see why anyone would be commenting on this unless they've been through the struggles of having a NICU preemie.

lilannies mama 09-30-2012 05:05 PM

My baby was born 2 months early at 2 pounds. She was in the nicu for 50 days it was more than a month before I got to hold her. It may depend on the situation I don't know but after I got to hold her I made sure I got to every day until she got to come home

angelalynn 10-02-2012 07:07 PM

My dd was born at 29 weeks and under 2 pounds, and they encouraged this from day 1. ALSO, like others have said, if it wasn't for the machines our little one wouldn't even be with us. The doctors and nurses are amazing people who always had our daughters best interest at heart. Its very offensive that you should suggest otherwise, especially if you have no experience in this area.

Isabellesmama 10-02-2012 10:48 PM

I had DD at 32 weeks & the first day she was stable & allowed out from the lights they told me about kangaroo care & I did it every day until she got to come home 29 days later. Her NICU nurses & drs were some of the nicest, caring, loving people I've ever met & I'm so thankful that my daughter was in such good hands & they made the experience as good as it could have been!

Kissed by the Moon 10-05-2012 11:32 AM

Yes it was standard at ours and they encouraged it.