Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   23# 14mo needing a new carrier... suggestions? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445797)

Funky Birdie Boutique 09-20-2012 11:26 PM

23# 14mo needing a new carrier... suggestions?

Plz excuse the musing-ramblings of a mama that loves to BW and wishes I had enough $ to buy one of everything... who doesn't right?

I got all the way through dd1 and never needed more than our stretchy wraps, but this time around we have 2 WAHM stretchy wraps, a WAHM mei tai (I can't seem to get right-seems to short to hold her securely), a baby K'Tan and a commercial carrier we never use similar to Bjorn-can't think of the name :blush:

Here's us in a nutshell:
-She's a leaner, she pushes back from me when facing me in a wrap or K'Tan
-I really wanna put Lexi on my back, I think she'll love it
-I am not the most coordinated with getting her on my back :giggle:
-I guess I have narrow or slope-y shoulders, everything with straps falls off me :banghead:
-I'm not a skinny minny nor am I very tall (almost 5'4", size 16), oh yeah big boobs too, DD's+
-I still wanna be able to carry her in front too
-She likes her arms OUT!! LOL!
-I want to be able to wear her, well, forever :hugegrin: so you know, has to be good for little toddler on up

I'm bummed cuz I did get her up on my back pretty easily sitting in a chair using the mei tai, but our's doesn't go high enough on her back and the straps are placed at the corners so they go around the caps of my shoulders instead over them.

There are several things I've always to try but being that the holidays are approaching, my extra cash is pretty well spoken for so tho I can carve out enough to do prob one, I don't know that I will have more than that atm.

Wondering about:
-Woven Wrap, all the awesome hardcore carrying mamas in my area have a play group and they all make em look so easy breezy to use and they are just so classic kwim? BTW I know very little about brands... help?

-SSC's, specifically Beco, Boba, Ergo... these are just the ones I've heard most about. There are so many versions of each of these, HELP! Really liking the sound of the Boba 3G after what I've been reading.

-Moby, I always thought my WAHM stretchies were great but my neighbor used her moby in front of me the other day and it seemed so much more substantial than my single layer ones

Would I be wasting $ to do a woven or moby with her being so old? Also any advice on what I might be doing wrong or how to carry her/wrap more properly so I don't have shoulder slip MUCH APPRECIATED!!! (I've always wondered if she should be a bit higher than we tend to wear?)

:bighug: Thx for taking the time to READ all this, let alone answer! LOL! :giggle2:

lynn97 09-20-2012 11:30 PM

I am not an expert but I own a Moby and have a similar-sized 14-month old. There is no way I would use Moby at his size. Maybe a woven, though? I have a Boba 3G and an Ergo Sport and I definitely like the Boba better. My DS is also a leaner and the Boba has a much higher back.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Heather1583 09-21-2012 06:27 AM

I second the boba, I love mine, and if I am crazy enough my 4 yo still fits well in it. So you'll get your $ worth. If you are afraid of putting her on your back I think the beco butterfly has an internal harness or something to make it easier. With my boba though I just put one strap on, slide my dd around and pull her leg through leaning over, and pull the other strap up. Just keep practicing, it gets easier.

Funky Birdie Boutique 09-21-2012 03:11 PM

Re: 23# 14mo needing a new carrier... suggestions?

:yay: Thanks so much!! I love getting the confirmation that everyone is luving the 3G!! I'm really just trying to figure out the nuances that differentiate all the different SSC's.

2 More ?'s:
-Does anyone have a suggestion where to buy that may be a bit more affordable than straight from Boba (I know FSOT here, I'll def. check there too, I just mean more retail'ish)

-Can your babies have their arms out? I see lots of pix of arms in and I dunno if Lexi will go for that.

hpfgirl 09-21-2012 03:26 PM

They are expensive. I don't know if I've ever even seen the Boba on sale. There are a bunch on FSOT though. The Beco butterfly is another one that might work for you and there are a bunch of those floating around FSOT too.

I think the baby chooses where to put her arms. When they are small they tend to tuck them in.

MonkeyBean415 09-21-2012 03:52 PM

I agree that a moby would be a waste of money at this point. A woven would be a great option as well as a boba. I love wrapping and use the almost exclusively but do use my boba as well. I would suggest looking on the fs section on tbw or here. Or I know that bobas pop up on zulily now and then but I don't think it happens often.

As for wovens I would recommend an all cotton size 6 because it's the most versatile size at 4.7m. Didymos is great but it's hard to sort through all the different weaves and blends when you first start looking. I'd recommend storchenweige, or dolcino.

ETA Colimacon et cie is another brand that you can find under $100 even new

itiswhatitis1984 09-21-2012 04:01 PM

What about an olives & applesauce? I just got one and love it! The straps can cris cross so that they don't wall off. It also has a internal harness but it optional (unlike the beco butterfly). The harness would help you with back carries but if you find it a pain while doing a front carry you can just keep it buckled behind her back. It also has seat darts that give a really good seat width as they get older. I'd at least check them out :)

Just Ducky 09-21-2012 06:18 PM

It's not much of a sale but Amazon has two different Boba 3G colors that are on sale for $108 down from their usual $120.

http://www.amazon.com/Boba-3G-Baby-C...ywords=boba+3g

Funky Birdie Boutique 09-23-2012 09:45 AM

Woooooo Hoooooo!!! :yay: I found someone on FSOT with a Soho Boba 3G she is doing for $95ppd I am THRILLED! I think I will go that way, I really like the idea of the stirrups for positioning.

babycat42 09-23-2012 09:49 AM

Have you tried an ABC. I love mine.