Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   does making soap cost more then buying? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445889)

cassie.sattler 09-21-2012 09:40 AM

does making soap cost more then buying?

dh and i really want to make our own soap but only if it is worth the cost. even with the cheapest oils possible.

have you had luck with cost savings?

GEM Cloth 09-21-2012 04:30 PM

Re: does making soap cost more then buying?

It's been easier for me to buy them already made because I seem to make a mess but I'm like you, I really want to make my own. I hope you get some good replies on this.

cassie.sattler 09-21-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEM Cloth (Post 15713969)
It's been easier for me to buy them already made because I seem to make a mess but I'm like you, I really want to make my own. I hope you get some good replies on this.

it appears that if you get hrift store materials and use cheap veg oils it isnt so bad. i just cant beleive how expensive dr. bronners is. i found that if you grate a bar of it and add it to a boiling gallon of water then beat it once cooled it makes a fine liquid and really stretches the cost

GEM Cloth 09-21-2012 07:39 PM

It is expensive, but a little bit goes a very long way and we use it here for all manner of personal and household cleaning. I should do this you mentioned with a bar of soap and see how it works.

vjbakke 09-22-2012 03:25 PM

It would be cheaper to buy it made IMO if you don't already have all the supplies or have a way to sell it as well. The soap making supplies add up and to make a good bar you don't want to use cheap veggie oil. I buy my lye in bulk about 10 lbs at a time and buy oils in bulk when I can. I use mainly olive oil, coconut oil and organic palm oil, those are the basics.

qsefthuko 09-22-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjbakke (Post 15717783)
It would be cheaper to buy it made IMO if you don't already have all the supplies or have a way to sell it as well. The soap making supplies add up and to make a good bar you don't want to use cheap veggie oil. I buy my lye in bulk about 10 lbs at a time and buy oils in bulk when I can. I use mainly olive oil, coconut oil and organic palm oil, those are the basics.

I was considering making our own soap. When I added up the cost of quality materials I found buying from coops in bulk was going to be significantly cheaper unless I planned on making in bulk and selling. If all I wanted was cheap soap and didn't care to much about the quality of ingredients it was perhaps a bit cheaper but not a lot.

AutumnRose 09-22-2012 08:57 PM

Cheaper then wally world's cheap stuff? not a chance (if you can prove me wrong please do! I'd love to be able to do it!)

When I sat down and calculated everything, materials needed besides ingredients (yes you'll have a big spend down at first but you will not be buying materials every time) it came out to 1/2 of that WAHM's are charging. Which makes sense seeing that the rule of thumb in running your own business is to AT LEST double the cost of materials to formulate a cost. BUT you also have to figure trial and errors for yourself too. Some recipes may not be what you are looking for, you might do it wrong, practice makes perfect, etc.
ATM, for us, I'm better off just buying through coops. Maybe once we get our tax return I'll invest in the whole shabang and run with it. But we'll see...I have other things that might take precedence...

Leah52 09-23-2012 09:03 AM

You could try melt and pour soap bases from somewhere like Bramble Berry. You can get a 7 pound sample set for $20, pour it into a Rubbermaid container instead of a "real" mold and it wouldn't cost too much. Essential oils would add some cost but you could always just go with unscented. Another idea is to get the ends and pieces assortments from other soap makers, you can usually get a mixed bag for a decent price.

Sarawithouth 09-27-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah52
You could try melt and pour soap bases from somewhere like Bramble Berry. You can get a 7 pound sample set for $20, pour it into a Rubbermaid container instead of a "real" mold and it wouldn't cost too much. Essential oils would add some cost but you could always just go with unscented. Another idea is to get the ends and pieces assortments from other soap makers, you can usually get a mixed bag for a decent price.

Hint: really want to stretch your soap?? Melt your odds and ends in water as suggested above to make liquid soap!

And yes, the supplies to get started CAN be expensive, but they don't have to be. The most important part is the oils should be good quality. You can get a metal spoon, a glass bowl, and a plastic shoe box for a mold at the dollar store. Just don't use any of your good kitchen stuff for soap making. It shouldn't be reused after you use it to make soap.