Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Back to sleep, or not? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445938)

erlyjo 09-21-2012 11:33 AM

Back to sleep, or not?

My new DD will only sleep by herself on her tummy. If she's not on her tummy, in her bouncy seat, or being held, she wakes up after 5 minutes. At first I thought she was spoiled already, but seriously, how can a 2 week old be spoiled? Now I'm thinking maybe she has tummy issues. What about your kids? Did they sleep on their backs? I know the "Back to Sleep" campaign is huge right now, but I'm ready to say if she wants to sleep on her tummy, let her sleep on her tummy, kwim?

mibarra 09-21-2012 11:47 AM

Re: Back to sleep, or not?

We always did back to sleep. To me, it wasn't worth the risk, and I would never forgive myself if something happened. I know everyone doesn't feel the same, and that's ok. Part of the problem is tummy sleeping keeps their arms and legs 'contained' so to speak, whereas on their back they flail. Both my DD's did much much better with a swaddle blanket, it gives them that 'cuddled' feeling they have in the womb. That being said, both my girls just had trouble sleeping anywhere but mommies arms until closer to 6 weeks. Good luck! :)

stringbean02 09-21-2012 11:51 AM

My kids slept however they were happiest. And we bed share.

sisu 09-21-2012 11:55 AM

Mine both scrunched up onto their sides when they were sleeping by the time they were two weeks old, so I left them that way.

my2sweets 09-21-2012 12:03 PM

My girls slept on their backs. Not worth the risk to me! However, most of my friends kids slept in bouncers, swings, ect for months. I much rather havr a kid in a swing or simething then on their bellies

aimeeturd 09-21-2012 12:04 PM

I'm so paranoid about SIDS that DS only sleeps on his back, HOWEVER when he was in the NICU he slept on his stomach as a lot of NICU babies do. I had a NICU nurse tell me that they breath better while sleeping on their stomachs. Go figure!

TaraB 09-21-2012 12:05 PM

halo swaddle sleep sacks on their backs until they rolled. once rolling they choose belly sleeping

kaia.aline 09-21-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erlyjo
My new DD will only sleep by herself on her tummy. If she's not on her tummy, in her bouncy seat, or being held, she wakes up after 5 minutes. At first I thought she was spoiled already, but seriously, how can a 2 week old be spoiled? Now I'm thinking maybe she has tummy issues. What about your kids? Did they sleep on their backs? I know the "Back to Sleep" campaign is huge right now, but I'm ready to say if she wants to sleep on her tummy, let her sleep on her tummy, kwim?

I've been worried about but after 7 weeks of letting my dd sleep on my chest I'm done and I am going to let her sleep on her tummy. She has reflux and I'm not going to fight it.

abunchoflemons 09-21-2012 12:25 PM

My oldest was back but my second only tummy.

erlyjo 09-21-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeeturd (Post 15712763)
I'm so paranoid about SIDS that DS only sleeps on his back, HOWEVER when he was in the NICU he slept on his stomach as a lot of NICU babies do. I had a NICU nurse tell me that they breath better while sleeping on their stomachs. Go figure!

That is very interesting! I wonder why they think sleeping on backs is better?