Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Veggie only meals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445968)

cacasey1981 09-21-2012 01:01 PM

Veggie only meals

You guys have never dissapointed before so I'm looking for some help. A member of my squadron just lost his wife and 12 y/o daughter in a drunk boating incident (they were struck by a drunken boater). He is still in the hospital but his two sons (15 and 18?) are home and are with his family to the tune of 7 adults total. His father has some very strict meal requirements and they have started a "Take them a meal" page for them. Here is the info that they have listed:
Meals for a total of 7 persons will need to be prepared in two portions. The health of Paul's father requires him to be on a strict vegan diet. He can only eat vegetables (e.g. sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers), beans, tofu and salads...no sugars, fruits or meats. The rest of the Peterlin family are good for any meal combinations.

In order to make this as helpful as possible for the Peterlins, request delivery of both the evening meal and the next day's breakfast between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m.

I'd like to make a meal (when a slot opens up - they're covered through the first week of October) - but I'd like to make one meal for them to all share as a family, rather than making two separate meals. Above is all the info that I have but looking at the other meals listed pasta may be okay.

And I have no idea what to do for the breakfast meal either so any ideas are appreciated.:goodvibes:

Just Ducky 09-21-2012 06:37 PM

Re: Veggie only meals

No fruit? Seriously?

I'd try maybe a tofu scramble for breakfast. You'd basically cook it like you would scrambled eggs. I'd dice some onions, caramelize them in the pan, then add diced mushrooms, fresh spinach, and tofu and scramble it. If he can have nuts, I'd also grate a bit of vegan almond cheddar on top. (Soy cheese is usually pretty icky.) Be sure to look for "vegan" on the label for the cheese. A lot of soy and almond based cheeses contain casein (milk protein).

cacasey1981 09-21-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Ducky
No fruit? Seriously?

That is exactly what everyone at work said - makes it really difficult to do anything.

Sent from my DROID2 using DS Forum

Just Ducky 09-22-2012 06:43 AM

Yeah, no kidding. Do you know if you are able to use things like Coconut oil?

kcanstef 09-22-2012 07:13 AM

Im a vegan I make home made granola I could just leave the fruit out also tofu sautéed with veggies over rice or rice noodles is easy

Mama*Kim 09-22-2012 10:20 AM

While we are not as strict, DH is on a fairly similar diet. For him, it's because he has high cholesterol and a fatty liver. The fatty liver causes some issues with processing sugars, particularly the ones in fruit. Anyway, just pointing this out because it may really be a dietary thing rather than preference or wanting to lose weight or something.

Breakfast burritos would make a good breakfast. For the vegan guy, do his with scrambled tofu. Homemade granola would be great too. I have a super easy recipe for that if you want it.

I have a blog where I've been writing the new recipes we've been trying since DH has been on a diet. I've done quinoa chili, black bean quinoa burgers, tofu peanut noodles, etc. We had the burgers last night; they were great. DH and DS1 asked for seconds. I can link you if you want.

cacasey1981 09-22-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
While we are not as strict, DH is on a fairly similar diet. For him, it's because he has high cholesterol and a fatty liver. The fatty liver causes some issues with processing sugars, particularly the ones in fruit. Anyway, just pointing this out because it may really be a dietary thing rather than preference or wanting to lose weight or something.

Breakfast burritos would make a good breakfast. For the vegan guy, do his with scrambled tofu. Homemade granola would be great too. I have a super easy recipe for that if you want it.

I have a blog where I've been writing the new recipes we've been trying since DH has been on a diet. I've done quinoa chili, black bean quinoa burgers, tofu peanut noodles, etc. We had the burgers last night; they were great. DH and DS1 asked for seconds. I can link you if you want.

Link please :) sounds like good stuff

Sent from my DROID2 using DS Forum

Mama*Kim 09-22-2012 08:46 PM

http://misadventuresinmommyland.wordpress.com/

We're just getting started with our diet, so there's not a ton of recipes, but I'm only posting things that turned out well.

Just Ducky 09-24-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama*Kim (Post 15716775)

I was fairly sure it was a medical thing. I can't imagine anyone making an "all vegan but no fruit" diet choice on their own. So for your husband, is it fruit in the botanical sense? So no peppers, no eggplant, no tomato, no squash, no pumpkin, no okra? Or does it mean that he just can't eat the things that people typically think of when they think of fruits, like apples and oranges and pears? Is there a sugar cutoff? Or a list? Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just curious.

Mama*Kim 09-24-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Ducky
I was fairly sure it was a medical thing. I can't imagine anyone making an "all vegan but no fruit" diet choice on their own. So for your husband, is it fruit in the botanical sense? So no peppers, no eggplant, no tomato, no squash, no pumpkin, no okra? Or does it mean that he just can't eat the things that people typically think of when they think of fruits, like apples and oranges and pears? Is there a sugar cutoff? Or a list? Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just curious.

His doctor said to limit fruits to 2-3 servings per week. That includes those that are botanically fruits. The primary goal is to minimize sugars, do we focus mostly on limiting sweeter fruits like pears, bananas, etc. We still use peppers and tomatoes in foods, but minimize the amount we use. I'll make a huge pot of soup and only use half a pepper now as opposed to a whole one, for example. I try to keep the glycemic index in mind as much a possible. That focuses on how quickly the sugars are digested. The slower, the better.