Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Should we go back to the emergency room? Update (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446202)

babycat42 09-22-2012 07:33 AM

Should we go back to the emergency room? Update

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday my 23 month fell and cut his lip in 4 places. 2 cuts were bad enough to need stitches. He got a total of 4 stitches. 2 stitches on each side. We were there for over 5 hours. He had to be tightly swaddled an held down.
Last night both stitches one side fell out. Should I take him back in and make him go through all that again? Or should I let it heal on its own?

Attachment 120307
Also yesterday dh went with me and my mom watch the other kids and today I will have go by myself and have all 3 kids with me.

Update: I had to run out to buy some straw sippys because his regular cups hurt his mouth and he was refusing a regular straw. No bleeding but I can tell he is in pain. If it opens up again we will be off to the er. But this time I will drive the extra 15 minutes to go to the children's er.

babycat42 09-22-2012 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here anotherpicture.
I am worried about him scarring.

Attachment 120308
Q
W

mommaagain 09-22-2012 07:42 AM

Re: Should we go back to the emergency room?

I would call your pedi to check in before going. I don't think it's worth another trip to the ER, but I'm not 100% on that.

canadianbakers 09-22-2012 07:42 AM

Oh :( poor little dude!
Hmm... they probably could restitch it... but I just don't know if I would want to put him through it again. I dunno... that's a really tough decision, mama. :hugs:

HeatherlovesCDs 09-22-2012 07:45 AM

The scar is what I would worry about. But, I would probably call his dr on-call and ask if they can do it in office on Monday (or even today, my clinic has Saturday hours for urgent care.)

My son had stitches on his eyebrow. He was older and the stitches didn't fall out, but my biggest reason for dealing with it was the scar. (Although, my son's cut was much more open that what I'm seeing there.) If it wasn't on his face, especially on his lip like that, I might not worry about it. But, *I* would not want a scar on my face. So, I took mine for stitches.

I hope he heals quickly. :hugs:

aimeeturd 09-22-2012 07:48 AM

I personally would not take him back. He'll definitely have a scar but it will fade over time. I don't think it'd be worth it to put him through the trauma again. Scars give you character and make for interesting stories ;)

babycat42 09-22-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
The scar is what I would worry about. But, I would probably call his dr on-call and ask if they can do it in office on Monday (or even today, my clinic has Saturday hours for urgent care.)

My son had stitches on his eyebrow. He was older and the stitches didn't fall out, but my biggest reason for dealing with it was the scar. (Although, my son's cut was much more open that what I'm seeing there.) If it wasn't on his face, especially on his lip like that, I might not worry about it. But, *I* would not want a scar on my face. So, I took mine for stitches.

I hope he heals quickly. :hugs:

His ped's office doesn't do stitches.

babycat42 09-22-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeeturd
I personally would not take him back. He'll definitely have a scar but it will fade over time. I don't think it'd be worth it to put him through the trauma again. Scars give you character and make for interesting stories ;)

This is dh's option too. I'm leaning towards it as well. I don't want to put him through that again. I really don't want my other Ds to have to witness it or he would be really traumatized.

keen1981 09-22-2012 08:00 AM

It's gonna scar no matter what.

abunchoflemons 09-22-2012 08:07 AM

How's it looking? My mom gashed her head in tub & had to go in because it was open. Unless it was open I probably wouldn't go because like others said trauma & the thing is going to scar watch it but try to keep clean.