Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How long for a 5 year old play date? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446215)

luvsviola 09-22-2012 09:44 AM

How long for a 5 year old play date?

We are kinda new to the drop off play date scene since I work full time. How long do you schedule them for? If a mom drops a kid off at 9 am, how long would you expect kiddo to stay? DD is 5 and in kindy.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 09-22-2012 11:29 AM

I did not do the drop off play date thing until older ds was almost 8. It was for 3 hours. I would say for a five year old, maybe an hour or two.

TwinMommaplus2 09-22-2012 11:32 AM

Re: How long for a 5 year old play date?

We do about 5-7 hours... they are BFF's have grown up together. :)

Fashionably Green Baby 09-22-2012 11:34 AM

I say 4-5 hours probably. We haven't done drop off playdates...although I kinda wish :giggle: but I think any less than 3-4 hours and they can't really have too much fun :)

luvsviola 09-22-2012 11:37 AM

Thanks! DD has made a bestie in her class, and she is super sweet. They play really nice (much better than DS and DD!) but I just didn't know how long to say when talking to the mom. She stayed about 2 hours this morning, and they (of course) trashed DD's room. But they had fun, and Abby was so disappointed when her mom came to get her! They just live around the corner and her mom is the Girl Scout leader, so I know I'll be seeing a lot of them over the next few years.

KaleidoscopeEyes 09-22-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby (Post 15716850)
I say 4-5 hours probably. We haven't done drop off playdates...although I kinda wish :giggle: but I think any less than 3-4 hours and they can't really have too much fun :)

yeah usually play dates involve all the parents staying and hanging out and they are pretty much a 4-5 hour thing.

luvsviola 09-22-2012 12:15 PM

I've got 3 kids. 5, 3, and 17 months, and work full time. There is no way I can stay at anyone's house. My 3 year old is special needs and will destroy anything in his path, and what he doesn't get, the 17 month old will! We aren't welcome anywhere! And honestly, I don't want to entertain another mom either. Saturdays are my wash/cleaning days. If a mom wanted to stay with their kid, I would have to respectfully decline the playdate. I do not want to entertain you for the day. I want my kid to have someone to play with and leave ME alone!

KaleidoscopeEyes 09-22-2012 12:18 PM

i work full time and have 3 kids and i NEED the adult interaction lol

sojomisa 09-22-2012 12:19 PM

2 hours until everyone knows each other better.

EmilytheStrange 09-22-2012 02:48 PM

I think there are two types of playdates. There are the ones where parents stay and there are the ones where parents do not.

You are not expected to socialize with every single parent that your child wants to have their kid over to play. Certainly, at 5yrs old, with a family I trusted, I would let another child just be dropped off at my house for a playdate or visa versa.

It's rare that I talk to my sister and she doesn't have 1 or more extra kids at her house and she's not entertaining the parents. She's letting the kids have fun in the other room or the backyard while she goes on with housecleaning or whatever. It's fun for the kids to have a friend over.