Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   anyone have surgery while pregnant? Updated in #5 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446247)

cristancanoe 09-22-2012 10:40 AM

anyone have surgery while pregnant? Updated in #5

I fell and fractured my patella, I meet with the ortho monday for surgery on tuesday.

Any experiences? I am 12 weeks pregnant and very nauseaus, and worried about the anesthesia and added nausea.

MIpiccolo44 09-22-2012 01:25 PM

Re: anyone have surgery while pregnant?

I had my gallbladder out at 14 weeks this pregnancy. I didn't have any additional complications, and the hospital staff checked baby's hr with a doppler every so often. I was all the way under with my anesthesia, and don't remember a thing! The only thing I would advice is when they give you vicodin or whatever pain relief to take at home, take an otc stool softener too, because that stuff plus being pregnant = ouch!

I have a friend who is still in the first trimester and just had surgery on her foot. For her they did a localized nerve block because they didn't want to put her all the way under anesthesia (probably because she's only at like 6 weeks?)

Rewind_Selector 09-22-2012 03:22 PM

I had my appendix out at 15 weeks with my oldest. I was completely under also .They had considered a spinal block type anesthesia but chose to put me under when I told them I wanted to watch LOL.
They kept me for 4 days even though it is usually an outpatient procedure now. They checked on baby every couple of hours and I had an ultrasound every day I was there. They had me on morphine for pain and sent me home with motrin and percocet for pain which I didn't need once I got home. I think it was because no one was coming in pushing on my belly every couple of hours at home.
No adverse effects on me or baby. Except I have a scar on my belly that is worse than it should be because my belly stretched at the same time my incision was healing.

cristancanoe 09-22-2012 04:48 PM

Thanks ladies!

Urchin 09-22-2012 05:42 PM

I also had (non-evasive) surgery while pregnant. Numerous times.
I had to have a kidney stent placed 3 or 4 times (I lost count) while pregnant, started at 24weeks. I had heavy sedation for a couple and a spinal block for one.

The doctors explained to me that a spinal was better than general anesthesia because with general, the baby also falls asleep and there is a higher chance than normal that the baby won`t wake up.

Also, there was a nurse from the L&D ward or Mat ward attending my surgery and recovery (I recovered in the mat-ward) to keep a close eye on baby. The anesthesia didn`t cause me nausia, but the morphine that they gave me once made me violently ill :(

All turned out well. It was a stressful time, but everything turned out fine.

Best of luck!

cristancanoe 09-26-2012 08:26 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Surgery went smoothly. I had spinal anesthesia and was able to stay awake and listen to the whole thing. Very cool!

I had horrible nausea/vomitting later in the evening (gotta love being 12 weeks pregnant) and was unable to take my pain meds. The pain got really bad so we went to the ER. The nurses were so nice to me (it helps that I was their boss earlier this year!) and gave me lots of zofran and fluids and pain meds. We couldn't find the baby's heartbeat on the doppler so we had a quick U/S.

I will be in a straight brace for 6 weeks, so no driving for me!

Urchin 09-27-2012 05:41 AM

Re: anyone have surgery while pregnant? Updated in #5

SO glad to hear everything went well. Sorry you felt ill afterwards, that is brutal :( I got sick from my pain meds...so it was a lose-lose.

Hope you're feeling better soon :)

my2sweets 09-27-2012 07:39 AM

Glad it went well. Hope you feel better soon!