Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   anyone have experience with nursing while pregnant?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446262)

jennayoung99 09-22-2012 12:37 PM

anyone have experience with nursing while pregnant??

we just found out we're expecting in may, my DD just turned 1 and doesn't show signs of weaning any time soon. anything special i need to know about nursing while pregnant?? or anyone have experience with tandum nursing a toddler and newborn??

waterisntsomething 09-22-2012 01:32 PM

Re: anyone have experience with nursing while pregnant??

subbing!

MDever 09-22-2012 01:51 PM

I am pregnant while nursing for the 3rd time out of 5 pregnancies. I have tandem nursed 2 other times and fully expect to do it again in February. Basically you need to make sure you are eating and drinking enough. Be aware that your nipples will likely become very sensitive so it can be uncomfortable and that many women see big changes in supply. My milk is totally dried up no at 19 weeks but that does not stop Poppy from nursing. I do not mind dry nursing so we will just continue on until my milk comes back. Poppy will actually say that the "milkies" in her "nurse" are all gone but that they will "be back later". Congrats!

l_Kimmie_l 09-22-2012 02:00 PM

I dried up very fast and had to go on Reglan to supply my son who was only 6 months when I got PG with milk up to a year. My nipples were uber sensitive. I dried up at 20 weeks even on Reglan. He stopped nursing and I never got to tandem.

jessca06 09-23-2012 02:47 PM

My DD was 16 months old when I got pregnant with my DS. I nursed her the whole time. I'm not sure how much (if any) milk I had towards the end though. It did start getting very uncomfortable the last few months of my pregnancy though (mainly when she would nurse before bedtime--the shorter times during the day weren't bad).

It was great to have DD still nursing when DS was born. My milk came in quickly, I never got engorged, and DS only lost 2 oz. I also think it helped a ton with avoiding much jealousy. DD did want to nurse pretty much every single time that DS nursed for a little while. That didn't last all that long though. It is also very uncomfortable for me to nurse both kids at the same time. I get this weird feeling like I want to jump out of my skin (hard to explain) so I nurse them at different times. Everyone has different experiences though and I am definitely glad that I continued nursing during my pregnancy and that I'm still nursing DD.

Just make sure that you're eating and drinking enough. Congrats!

jennayoung99 09-23-2012 07:21 PM

thanks so much everyone, at least i know kind of what to expect.