Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   School lunches and an unhappy kid! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446387)

megenic 09-22-2012 08:43 PM

School lunches and an unhappy kid!

DD started kindergarten 2 weeks ago. If I do say so myself, I am a pretty awesome lunch maker. I send lots of variety, fruit, veggies, cheese, milk. I ask DD what she wants every night and pack it. Now she's coming home sad because the other kids "all" have this pre packaged crap - bear paws, rice krispie bars, chocolate granola bars, etc. She wants to know why she can't have that too. Now I am not against treats and am by no means totally anti sugar. However, I don't buy that stuff and when we do have treats I try to make them healthy and we don't have them all the time. We're not allowed to send homemade things go school. It just irks me because the school has this whole thing about emohasizing healthy lunches, but I guess some parents didn't get the memo :-( and it makes me sad for DD even though she likes healthy food and knows why it's important.

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? What do you tell kids?

sojomisa 09-22-2012 08:51 PM

Re: School lunches and an unhappy kid!

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic (Post 15718650)
DD started kindergarten 2 weeks ago. If I do say so myself, I am a pretty awesome lunch maker. I send lots of variety, fruit, veggies, cheese, milk. I ask DD what she wants every night and pack it. Now she's coming home sad because the other kids "all" have this pre packaged crap - bear paws, rice krispie bars, chocolate granola bars, etc. She wants to know why she can't have that too. Now I am not against treats and am by no means totally anti sugar. However, I don't buy that stuff and when we do have treats I try to make them healthy and we don't have them all the time. We're not allowed to send homemade things go school. It just irks me because the school has this whole thing about emohasizing healthy lunches, but I guess some parents didn't get the memo :-( and it makes me sad for DD even though she likes healthy food and knows why it's important.

Really? You couldn't make cookies and pack her one? How would they know they weren't store bought.

My oldest asked for slushes everyday for the first 3 weeks of school. For the time being I've allowed her to get a small one on Fridays.

mg5g 09-22-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic (Post 15718650)

To the bolded .. that doesn't make sense! We couldn't send homemade things to SHARE ... but could certainly pack a homemade treats for our own children's lunch. I mean if this is the case are you not allowed to pack a snadwich cause that isn't store bought either. If packaged Rice krispies are ok I'd just make some and send them anyway even tiny tiny size as a sometimes treat. If they have issues with that then I think you have a very good case to fight because it is allowed in a package.

NiNi 09-22-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sojomisa

Really? You couldn't make cookies and pack her one? How would they know they weren't store bought.

My oldest asked for slushes everyday for the first 3 weeks of school. For the time being I've allowed her to get a small one on Fridays.

Yep. I'd make her cookies and let her take them. If you make them small, like quarter sized, she could have a few and feel like everyone else :)

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos :)

megenic 09-22-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sojomisa

No, it's the whole nut free thing. You need to send baked goods in the original package that shows the peanut free symbol. I don't have a problem with that...we're very careful because we have friends with nut allergies. We just don't do "treats" as a regular part of our diet and it's never been a problem because she never realized all the fantastic yummy things that were out there LOL! Now she comes home and is like "one kid had rice krispie bars that had CANDY in them!" I wish I could send a homemade granola bar or something :-(

Terra 09-22-2012 09:11 PM

Awww, I get where you are coming from. If that is a passion and you want your daughter to continue eating the way that is best for your family just continue to stick to your guns and keep letting her know why you do what you do.

I used to be very very picky about what my son ate and he 'got' it. I still can be that way but not at all like I use too. I pack his lunch everyday [he is SPD/ASD so he's picky anyway and won't eat a lot of what is served at school].

As far as snacks and snack time, I wouldn't let it upset me what other parents do. Just like you have the right to send healthier snacks, they have the right to send what they want. I honestly let my son have those snacks and enjoy himself. He is in kindergarten as well. However he's been in a special needs school for 3 years prior to that. I've become a lot less stringent on things. :giggle:

soonerfan 09-22-2012 09:12 PM

I think it is insane that you can't make food from scratch to send in your child's lunch. So you have to make sure everything is prepackaged and over processed because of someone else's allergies? I'd have to start working to change that because that expectation is unreasonable, unhealthy and expensive! Can you find a compromise treat for her lunch and pay attention to portion size?

sojomisa 09-22-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonerfan (Post 15718818)
I think it is insane that you can't make food from scratch to send in your child's lunch. So you have to make sure everything is prepackaged and over processed because of someone else's allergies? I'd have to start working to change that because that expectation is unreasonable, unhealthy and expensive! Can you find a compromise treat for her lunch and pay attention to portion size?

I agree, and I say that as a parent of a child with a severe peanut/tree nut allergy. I do appreciate their trying to keep children safe but there are ways to do this without such a strict policy.

reneaumommy 09-22-2012 09:18 PM

I would let her take a treat one day a week. Then she doesnt feel left out and it emphasizes that is it a treat not an everyday food.

Terra 09-22-2012 09:19 PM

I do agree that it's a little much to not let your child pack a home treat. I completely understand about having pre-packaged treats for the whole class. But goodness, not for personal use. Strange. But I can understand on the other hand if there is a larger population at the school with allergies to it.