Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Christmas gift WWYD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446439)

corinne76 09-22-2012 11:09 PM

Christmas gift WWYD?

DD has been asking for those darn Stompeez for gawd knows how long now. It's now on her letter to Santa. I was going to get her a pair but the reviews on Amazon are awful. They don't seem to last too long and some are hard to stomp on.
Would you get them anyway even if they don't last long and make her happy, or not get them and...IDK what other solution is there other than not getting them and disappointing her.

my2sweets 09-23-2012 06:54 AM

My girls want them too. They are also already on their wish list. I think theyd be really annoying and since we'll have a newbie in the house come christmas the noise would probably send me over the edge. I plan on getting them some cute (quiet!) slippers instead. I have no idea if they'll be cool with that but Im trying it lol

sojomisa 09-23-2012 07:01 AM

Re: Christmas gift WWYD?

My 4 year old has the unicorn pair, they seem to stomp easily. I can't speak to how they hold up as we've only had them for about a month.

syfitz 09-23-2012 09:11 AM

I would get them.

happysmileylady 09-23-2012 09:40 AM

According to the website, they are $20-ish? And she's going to be 5 in December? Do you think she would get the concept of doing a bit of work to earn the money to get them herself? Maybe she could do some particular chores around the house that she doesn't normally do, like gather leaves this fall or help clean a room or something. Then she could save up the $20 and buy it herself. If they work out ok, she's got the lesson of working to earn money for something extra, if they don't, she's learned the additional lesson of sometimes things look great on tv but not in real life.

If you think she could manage that sort of thing.

mmmom 09-23-2012 09:48 AM

My 5 and 7 year old have always done chores but they also have a list of extras they can do to earn money. This past weekend they pooled all the money they saved and bought a new DS game. I think having her work to buy them on her own is a great idea, I gets stuff done around the house and teaches her a few life lessons.

Mom2Connor 09-23-2012 09:57 AM

I guess I am little confused, it seems to have gone two ways here. OP was talking about getting them as a Christmas gift and everyone else is talking about the kid earning money to buy them....

Question 1) Should you buy a gift your child has been begging for, for awhile, as an xmas GIFT: IMHO - yes. Perhaps talk to her about how you have looked into them and a lot of people say they don't work very well, break quickly, etc. It's a child christmas present, and they aren't that expensive if what the PP said about them being around $20 is accurate.

Question 2) Should you make your child earn money towards buying things herself - most certainly. But I don't see that having anything to do with a christmas gift, which I don't think she should have to "earn" money towards.

So I guess if you think she'd rather get them sooner than later then have her "earn" money to buy them. Explain to her about you reading reviews that they break quickly or don't work like they do on TV. Then, if they break quickly, perhaps she'll think longer next time about listening to mom when she says the shoes aren't worth it.

happysmileylady 09-23-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor (Post 15720245)
I guess I am little confused, it seems to have gone two ways here. OP was talking about getting them as a Christmas gift and everyone else is talking about the kid earning money to buy them....

Question 1) Should you buy a gift your child has been begging for, for awhile, as an xmas GIFT: IMHO - yes. Perhaps talk to her about how you have looked into them and a lot of people say they don't work very well, break quickly, etc. It's a child christmas present, and they aren't that expensive if what the PP said about them being around $20 is accurate.

Question 2) Should you make your child earn money towards buying things herself - most certainly. But I don't see that having anything to do with a christmas gift, which I don't think she should have to "earn" money towards.

So I guess if you think she'd rather get them sooner than later then have her "earn" money to buy them. Explain to her about you reading reviews that they break quickly or don't work like they do on TV. Then, if they break quickly, perhaps she'll think longer next time about listening to mom when she says the shoes aren't worth it.

I only suggested it as an alternative to spending and perhaps "wasting" money on a Christmas gift if the OP is unsure about the practicality of that particular gift. OP said she wasn't sure what the solution was to the dilemma of buying something she is uncomfortable buying vs disappointing her kid if she doesn't get them. There IS another possible solution, so that's why I suggested it.

Mom2Connor 09-23-2012 10:17 AM

ah, I see your point. I guess I don't really see the difference - but perhaps a better life lesson if the kid pays for the object with her "own" earned money vs a gift that breaks.

corinne76 09-23-2012 10:31 AM

Thanks everyone. Still not sure what to do.i see the point about having her earn it. I may also talk to her about the reviews,she's pretty practical and may decide she would rathrr have someyhing else on her list. Or i may buy them anyway. She does want the unicorn one and it's the only tv thing she keeps asking for. She will see other things and ask for them but thisis the only one she remembers by name and keeps asking for