Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   What features do you wish your house had? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446555)

babycat42 09-23-2012 02:01 PM

What features do you wish your house had?

If you could change something about your home what would you change?

Our house is too small. I would love more space. Right now we have 2 beds and 1 bath in 800sq ft.
I want 1 bedroom for my daughter so she can have her own room.
A Master suite where we can have a space for sewing , an office, and a place for Dh's hobbies with an off-the-wall-bed to use when we have guests. I want it to be a master suite because I like when guests have their own bathrooms to use.
I like how our room is small I don't see the point to having a super big room when it's only used for sleeping.
I would like an extra family room to use for a playroom for the kids.
I would love to have a walk-in pantry with one side for food and paper products and the other side to store things like holiday decorations and other out of season things in nice clear tubs.
I would like a hallway long enough to have bookshelves going down it on one side.
I would like the room the the kids are in right now to be smaller and to be just for the boys.
I would love it if the carport was a garage or it the laundry was a just a bit bigger and insulated so I could put the extra freezer some where other than next to my kitchen table.

If I could build a dream home it would have 4 bedrooms, 2 small ones, 1 medium one and a good sized master suite(just like I described above) The only room to have a closet would be the master. There would be a huge laundry room family closet.
The kitchen would have stove, dishwasher, fridge. The lower cabinets would be big deep drawers for cookware and a tall pantry cabinet to store appliances. There would be no upper cabinets maybe a shelf or two for dishes. But their would be lots of windows. There would be a island for prep work. I want there to be a comfy seating area to hang out and chat while cooking.
There would be a living room/TV room just for sitting watch TV and the TV could be hidden when we don't want to see it.
There would be a big den with comfy couches and lots of toys this would be our messy hangout room.
It would be nice to have an outdoor sitting area.
It would have a connected 2 car garage with a work shop area.

What would you like to have?

P!nkPepper 09-23-2012 02:55 PM

Hmm, I would love window seats in the boys rooms so they could store their toys inside & have cute seats. A playroom would be divine. I'm pretty easy to please though & I love love love my house. We just moved here in July. My biggest thing would be to move it to my hometown.

Jodie ~ wife & mama

cherylchoo 09-23-2012 04:04 PM

Re: What features do you wish your house had?

You know I'd have to really think about it, because we just bought what is fairly close to our dream home. There are just some things that need to be updated, like the 25yo roof, they 20yo A/C unit, the gutters which may fall off the house at any moment :rofl:, the original bathrooms from 1962 :giggle2:. But the rest of it is pretty close to perfect for us.

We have a formal living room and a family room. We use the family room as our real living room and the formal living room as a library, which is full of our books plus the 50-100 we have checked out at the library at any given time. I never dreamed we would ever have a library, but it the kids love it and read in there more time than they do playing with toys or TV/Wii. Neither room is open to the kitchen (nor is the dining room) like some people want, but there are open doorways between all of them. Personally, I like to be able to retire to any of the other three rooms on the main floor and NOT see the pile of dishes in the sink, or the pile of unfinished homework or art projects on the kitchen table, etc. The only thing I'd change is the living room has the original 10' long sliding glass door and it doesn't work, and I'd LOVE to put accordion doors there but will likely have to settle for a more inexpensive slider or french door replacement.

The kitchen was also original to the house, but we gutted it and are 90% finished with the reno. Due to budget constraints, I did have to compromise on a few things but nothing I can't live with. Like PP said, I'd love to have deep drawers but it was way cheaper to get regular cabinets with no organizer upgrades, and I make it work. I have matching stainless appliances that all work well, but they are not high end by any means, and I have a double oven range instead of separate cooktop and ovens. It's large but the layout doesn't allow for a island, but it fits a table big enough for 6, which makes it a true eat-in kitchen. Not a barstools at the counter eat-in kitchen, LOL. We got granite, we got real tile floors, I'm in the process of installing the glass tile backsplash. It has more storage than I'd ever use. It's awesome - I've never had a kitchen that ever really worked for me. Then only change I'd make is redo the reach-in pantry to match the rest of the kitchen, instead of the curtain covering up the original pantry. :giggle2:

Upstairs it has a bedroom for each kid, a sizeable bathroom they share, and a master suite for us. I really prefer to only have beds and clothing storage in bedrooms and not use them for any other purposes, but we do have a desk for DH in our room so when he has to work at home, which is not often, he can be in a room with a closed door and away from kid noise. Our bathroom is a typical tiny 1960s room with a single sink next to a toilet across from a small shower and linen closet. Our hope is to eventually expand it into the two reach-in closets right outside, so there will be a tub, a shower, and two sinks. Then we'd just line one of the other walls with those PAX closet things from IKEA to replace the closets. The kids' bathroom is totally functional but very dated, so the only changes I'd make there are cosmetic.

This house also has an awesome HUGE basement, and half of it is finished. That half serves as the kid playroom, so there's no toys upstairs on the main floor - only books and whatever board game or puzzle they are working on in the dining room. The other half is unfinished, and the previous owner outfitted it with a giant work bench and industrial strength shelving. So the workshop/hobby stuff/extra storage can all go there. This is all something I never dreamed we would have, and I can't imagine living without it now. The finished basement has carpet :yuck: which I'd rather have something that won't mold, but I can live with it for now.

Also this house has four extra other sizeable closets in the hallways, which we've never had and are half-empty. And it has a large laundry/mudroom off the attached two car garage, big enough for a washer/dryer/mop sink with cabinets above, upright freezer, 4' reach in closet, plus plenty of wall space covered with hooks for coats/backpacks/bags/hats with shoe cubbies and boot racks underneath.

So again, even though the house still needs tons of work, it still has everything we really need. And even though it is a much bigger house than we have ever lived in, the layout has made the transition to becoming more minimalist so much easier. It's so nice to see the big rooms not crammed full of stuff. ;)

SenoraE 09-23-2012 04:13 PM

LOVE our laundry chute!! It's the one thing I can't live without!

Fashionably Green Baby 09-23-2012 07:00 PM

Another bedroom (we have 2), a little bigger kitchen, and some outside space

LaniMami 09-23-2012 07:35 PM

I love my home, but I would have to say my laundry "closet" would be an actual room. Right now its literally a closet with folding doors to conceal it. Our hamper is up against a wall and it bothers me big time that our dirty laundry is visible (even if it is in a nice hamper), and I dont really have a folding space. I would also love an actual sun room, not just the falling apart leaky old screen porch that is currently attached to our house. Thats about it.

abunchoflemons 09-23-2012 07:48 PM

Double garage or bigger to get both cars in & extra stuff....maybe 3 car.Bay windows, bigger kitchen, 4 to 5 bedrooms so all 3 kids have room & play areas & ours & extra/ office. Bigger living room & maybe area that I could keep eliptical up. Lawn 4 kids to play & clothes lines outside. Imagineable stuff..... thing finder like glasses (specs), shoes, keys , toys anthing that can b lost. Kinda like smart house & make sure like a shoe doesn't get thrown away in trash...... laundry shoot to basement from upstairs so no lugging stuff down.

TypeAMom 09-23-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickshep19 (Post 15721077)
A playroom would be divine. I'm pretty easy to please though & I love love love my house. We just moved here in July. My biggest thing would be to move it to my hometown.

Jodie ~ wife & mama

We converted our rarely used dining room into a play room and it has been such a blessing. I too wish I could move to my hometown as my husband and I are from the same hometown and most of our friends and family live in that area AND I commute to work in that area two or three times a week.

We'd also LOVE a garage, a paved driveway and a guest room. We don't even have a fold out couch which makes having family stay over near impossible. :cry:

solarbabies 09-23-2012 08:33 PM

We are seriously considering building soon. We are planning on downsizing. Right now we live in about 2000 sq ft and want to size down to no more that 1000 sq ft. We want 1 room for each child and one for us, not big either as bedrooms are just for sleeping. Then there will be a kitchen, dining, living room. One room for all 2 purposes....no walls separating at all. The south wall of this 'room' will be a passive solar design. We are thinking of building a straw bale house with radiant flooring. There will be 1 bathroom...but a strange one lol. From the master you can access one side which will be a sink and toilet. Then from the living area you will be able to access the other side...another sink and toilet. In the middle (accessed from either of the toilet rooms) will be a big bath/shower shared by the 4 of us. We want a yard with a little bit of grass and at least 1 big shade tree. We have a long driveway and want to line it with fruit trees. We want to build a unattached garage/workshop that will be about the size of a 2 car garage. Ah, dreams lo

ZnBmama 09-23-2012 08:35 PM

I would love a yard for the kids. We live in a townhouse, which is nice but the front door is directly on the sidewalk with no green space for blocks. We go outside to play in our "concrete jungle" or "urban playground" which means walking along retaining walls and riding scooters in the bank parking lot (after hours) or underground parking garage. I miss grass out the back door...and I'll add a porch, since I'm complaining ;)