Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Brooder/Heat/Behavior Question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446637)

aumismommy 09-23-2012 05:37 PM

Brooder/Heat/Behavior Question

Ok they had a red light for the first two days but I didn't think they were warm enough because they huddled under it a descent amount of time. So we put a white 250 watt (I don't know the wattage on the red is but it's what we used last time with our chicks but they were in a tiny little room so it got warm in that room quick) and they are all SUPER ACTIVE and running around pecking at the side of the brooder (clear tote). Is it just because they are actually warm enough now? Some of the chicks will go under the light and lay out all sprawled out for a couple minutes then jump away, others stay away from it.

The red just didn't seem warm enough. I could leave my hand under it indefinitely and it would just be warm. The white light is much further away from them (maybe 2.5-3 feet above them) and it's warm. One of the little EE just fell asleep under it.

What do I do?

How can I tell my activity level or behavior how they are doing? They are just SO MUCH more active now with this white light than they were with the red. And the marans are low flying in there too.

Help :)

Nielsen6 09-23-2012 05:44 PM

Re: Brooder/Heat/Behavior Question

I think the only reason some people use the red light is because it inhibits them for pecking eachother as much. But it sounds like maybe it might not have been warm enough. I use a red bulb, but I did use a white with my other chicks, did not notice much difference. They sound happy now. I think your doing great! :)

sarahannecloud9 09-23-2012 05:47 PM

Honestly, I think the 250 may be too much heat. They should snuggle under it and take breaks. Not really scatter and only stay a min. Perhaps try a lower wat?

aumismommy 09-23-2012 05:53 PM

Ok I raised the white lamp a bit and 4 are under it sprawled out and sleeping and the others are on the shaded half. I will continue to try this for a few more hours, thank you ladies, and see how they do. :)

sarahannecloud9 09-23-2012 06:15 PM

Gl! When my first babies got here I had to lear to use a wht light. They were'nt getting enough warmth so I lowered it. I also put a blanket over half of the bin to hold heat in. Then I was able to make it higher after time.

3lilbubs 09-23-2012 06:50 PM

Yup, sounds like you did good. :) All the big-time sites give you specific temps for age ranges and I think that's ridiculous. Mama hens don't walk around with a thermometer in their wing. :giggle: If I had kept to the "recommended" temp my chicks would have fried. If they are moving around, happy and fall asleep in a big sprawled out chicken pile they are good. Huddled together like a mob=needs warmer. Wings out, panting, staying away from lamp=need to be cooler. Just move the light up and down as you feel they need it mama. One thing I will say I wish I had known with my first group though, is that by around 2-3weeks they don't need nearly as much heat and keeping too much on them will cause them to feather in slower.

aumismommy 09-23-2012 07:48 PM

Thank you ladies. I didn't get to watch our last set of babies much because I was too busy with morning sickness...the faintest smell of them made me vomit. It took almost three months for me to not smell them in the room they were in after they were out. Now they are in a bigger room and I'm 32 weeks and no longer sick so I get to watch and hang with them. Much more fun ;)

I didn't realize how often they eat! They literally nap a little, drink and eat and then eat and eat and then repeat. Just like my babies! Lol!

And how active they are too. That's surprising to me. They are so curious. Pretty cool. I feel like they need something to occupy their brains like a toy or something. I'll have to look that up unless any of you have ideas or maybe that's just crazy ;)

sarahannecloud9 09-24-2012 04:50 AM

When mine started acting like that, I cut down two little butter dishes and raised their food trough by putting it on them. It was the perfect height. They loved jumping up and down! Not only to eat, but to excercise. :) I also started giveing them little treats to peck around for. They didn't understand at first, but soon learned. Whata blast lo's are.

Happy Mommax4 09-24-2012 05:22 AM

Our last peeps I used one of my broody buff orpingtons, it was way easier. She did all of the work!
I stuck 20 peeps under her, she was a great mamma!

Heck I just put food n water in there, I did read somewhere that they need a break from the light? Not sure if that was for older hens like if u use a light in the winter?

It can make them go a little nutty? Maybe Mother Earth magazine?

Goodluck,
Chloe

Nielsen6 09-24-2012 06:55 AM

I set up a little "playground" for mine. http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps64f7d0ba.jpg