Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Homeschooling check-in (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446639)

angel nee nee 09-23-2012 05:41 PM

Homeschooling check-in

Is anyone interested in starting a homeschooling check-in where we come together and share how our days went?

garness 09-23-2012 05:53 PM

Re: Homeschooling check-in

I'm in.

angel nee nee 09-23-2012 06:00 PM

We can do it here. :) Or if anyone want to be my facebook buddy to share check-ins, I'll do check-in with you. I think it's nice to hear how our homeschooling friends are doing and share experiences and advices, and encourage each other.

HeatherlovesCDs 09-23-2012 07:57 PM

Yup. I was going to start this, but we ended up taking a 2wk break and I haven't been on as much. We are starting back up tomorrow.

I'll be honest and say, I'm not a FB fan though. So, if it moves over there, no offense, I'm out. :)

angel nee nee 09-23-2012 08:04 PM

I don't use FB much. Too much drama etc going on amoung few of my FB friends.... I still have great friends on FB plus, I communicate with my family members that live far, so I log in just to talk to them. But I'd rather talk here.

So what are you all doing this week, or tomorrow?

Tomorrow I'm going shopping with my MIL. My husband is planning to teach the Bible, phonics test, and geography. I think I'll get my son started with math if I have a time before leaving the house, if not, I'll have him study the worksheets I have for him to review for math, plus handwriting/spelling, and have him study on computer/other devices he has. He likes to do his own reading these days, so that's a blessing. :)

Jen's_4 09-23-2012 09:11 PM

Tomorrow we'll be almost totally done with MFW K! We won't finish tomorrow but probably will by the end of the week. We're going to work on reading quite a bit because that's where we're having the most trouble right now. We'll put in a few hours in the morning, and then I'm hoping to get the house cleaned up at least a little. It looks like there's been an earthquake or something in here. Only...no earthquake, just life with children. Plus we've been gone for a few days, so I have some major catching up to do!

somo_chickenlady 09-23-2012 09:36 PM

I'm in! DS is in 8th grade, and this is our first year HSing and we started in the middle of August (we decided kind of last minute). We are doing a year round schedule, so I schedule frequent short breaks. We worked M-Sat for 4 weeks, just had last week off, and we start back up again tomorrow. It was nice to have a break.

I changed his science curriculum (CK12 Biology), so he gets to start that, and I also found a free online sign language class for his foreign language. I have always wanted to learn sign language, so I will be learning with him. He is deaf in one ear, so I thought this would be a good language for him to learn. I'm excited to start it!

We use Alpha Omega Lifepacs for history and language arts, CLE 700 for math, and now CK12 for science. He is reading The Book Thief for reading, and now the sign language. We also do various cooking and craft projects for home ec.

acwakip 09-23-2012 10:01 PM

Normal day planned tomorrow. I have lots of prep work this week, I can't wait until I can purchase some history curriculum for them. I have to prepare all their assignments, quizzes, and tests and it is getting old.

Anyone have any suggestions for good middle school American History curriculum?

acwakip 09-23-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady (Post 15722796)
I'm in! DS is in 8th grade, and this is our first year HSing and we started in the middle of August (we decided kind of last minute). We are doing a year round schedule, so I schedule frequent short breaks. We worked M-Sat for 4 weeks, just had last week off, and we start back up again tomorrow. It was nice to have a break.

I changed his science curriculum (CK12 Biology), so he gets to start that, and I also found a free online sign language class for his foreign language. I have always wanted to learn sign language, so I will be learning with him. He is deaf in one ear, so I thought this would be a good language for him to learn. I'm excited to start it!

We use Alpha Omega Lifepacs for history and language arts, CLE 700 for math, and now CK12 for science. He is reading The Book Thief for reading, and now the sign language. We also do various cooking and craft projects for home ec.

Do you have a link for the CK12 Biology you are using? We started out using their Earth Science for Middle School but the reading level is way over his head. He tested post high school for reading comprehension on his SATs last year, so I don't know if it was lack of effort on his part or if the book was really over his head. I am doing BJU Science 6 with both my 8th grader and 6th grader. I plan on giving him extra work to do since it is "below" his level.

I really need my 6th and 8th graders to be on the same level in some subjects, so they are doing history and science together.

*KaiMom* 09-23-2012 10:10 PM

I'd like to join also.

Brainstormed some schedule changes this weekend; it always feels like there isn't enough time in the day. I'm not a morning person and ds gets tired and cranky in the afternoons.