Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Too much babywearing or the wrong crrier? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446936)

Dancy Baby 09-24-2012 02:54 PM

Too much babywearing or the wrong crrier?

So I wore ds for 7 hours on Sat in the sling and Gemini and then for 6 hours on Sunday in the Gemini. I can barely move my neck or shoulders today!

Is anyone able to wear their baby that long without pain? What carrier?

Liadan23 09-24-2012 05:58 PM

Re: Too much babywearing or the wrong crrier?

ouch! 7 hours in a ring sling would do that to me for sure! i love my ring sling, but the one-shouldered carry is just not something i like to do for very long at one time and my current wearee is only about 11-12 lbs.

i could probably do a ssc for that long (i have a bbII) since the weight isn't all on 1 shoulder. but i dunno, 2 days in a row, essentially all day long, that's a lot of wearing. if you're not used to it, i think that would hurt regardless of what carrier you used. also, i always find that i can handle a back carry for quite awhile longer than a front carry. i can't wait until dd is big enough to do a back carry with. front carries just annoy me and pull at my shoulders after awhile. ds is 30 lbs and sometimes it's almost easier to wear him on my back than it is to wear her on my front. the weight just seems to be better distributed like that.

anyways, more than any one thing, i'd say it was a combo of things. and ultimately, no matter what/how you wear your lo, if you do for that long, 2 days in a row, i think some soreness is inevitable. hope you feel better!

*LizziesLoops* 09-24-2012 05:59 PM

I've gone 5 hours in my mei tei 2 days in a row and hurt for ages afterwards...I can't imagine comfortably wearing baby for longer multiple days in a row. I do have a mei tei with wrap straps now that is a bit more comfy but haven't tried wearing for that long yet. I would think something with wide shoulders would be more comfy than thin shoulders. I've heard carriers with a padded wrap strap are the best but haven't tried them myself.

Dancy Baby 09-24-2012 06:50 PM

Thanks mamas, it was Sat in both the wrap and Gemini, but he is quite heavy so I'd guess I should figure out some good ways to carry him on my back from now on! Do you think a wrap carry would work better because it won't be just the two straps holding him? I can never get the waist belt tight enough on the Gemini because it doesn't go small enough so I think that's part of the problem too!

Just Ducky 09-25-2012 12:12 AM

The only sort of carrier I would ever even consider doing that with would be a frame pack from Deuter, Osprey, Kelty, of Vaude. I would never do that in a pack that wasn't designed by a backpacking company.

Also, the "waist belt" is supposed to sit on the upward curve of your hips. Just so you know. x_x'

Connor 09-25-2012 01:36 AM

Last July when DS was 21 months I wore him (and swayed/bounced) for 6 hours one day and 4 the next. The only thing sore were my calves from swaying/bouncing from side to side, lol. He was in a Kinderpack. :)

BuckeyeHokieMommy 09-25-2012 08:48 PM

Ergo does well for us for about 3 hours; anything longer and I'm wishing for my Kelty! :)

clarinetb 09-25-2012 11:04 PM

That IS a long period of time :D Were you wearing on your back? I find that is a lot easier on you than on your front. Longer periods the ring sling is out for us.

I do find back wrapping distributes it a bit nicer than a lot of SSCs. I don't back wrap out of the house a lot, but if I'm going to have her up a long time I go to the effort of using a wrap.

Though 7 hours I think you'll feel it no matter what.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Ducky (Post 15727789)
The only sort of carrier I would ever even consider doing that with would be a frame pack from Deuter, Osprey, Kelty, of Vaude. I would never do that in a pack that wasn't designed by a backpacking company.

Also, the "waist belt" is supposed to sit on the upward curve of your hips. Just so you know. x_x'

No, most SSCs are designed to be at the natural waist, or at least say to use anywhere that works best for you, not just the top of the hips ;)

clarinetb 09-25-2012 11:04 PM

And hiking back packs can make it worse cause they are changing your centre of gravity and many find it makes them compensate a lot more..

neatostacy 09-28-2012 10:22 AM

I was just about to post this same question. I wear my 11-12 pound 8 week-old in the baby k'tan for hours at a time and I am always sore. Always. And I get tension headaches. I desperately need a massage!! I also use a Beco butterfly, but it's a bit harder to get him into the infant insert thingy so I generally use the k'tan.

Although wearing him is easier in some regards, I find it very difficult to do things that require bending down (like tending to anything with my other kids). Anyone have any suggestions about that?