Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Bleeding after c-section? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447060)

dancingingrace 09-24-2012 08:23 PM

Bleeding after c-section?

My LO has been breech, and so there's obviously a possibility that I may have to have a c-section. We haven't tried a version yet, and it isn't for sure, but I'm just trying to think ahead and cover all the what if's. So, I have a dumb question: do you have vaginal bleeding after a c-section, like you do with a vaginal delivery, or do you not start bleeding until your first period shows up? I'm wondering if I need to stock up on pads if I do have a c-section. Thanks, and sorry to sound ignorant! :)

jaelynsmommy61607 09-24-2012 08:24 PM

You still bleed. I didn't notice a huge difference in the amount with my c section or vbac.

flufflovinmama 09-24-2012 08:27 PM

I did have bleeding after a csection, but it was never major. I wasn't sure if that was because of the surgery, or the breastfeeding.

Mom2ManyBlessings 09-24-2012 11:59 PM

I bled more after my first section then after my vaginal births, and moderately after my second. . .I thought I would bleed less so I was kinda shocked. But I did have to walk back and forth to the NICU not having as much down time as most women might.

Sent from my phone, excuse any typos. :)

Harmony96 09-25-2012 09:46 AM

Re: Bleeding after c-section?

With my c-section birth, I bled less postpartum than I did during pregnancy (my placenta was trying to abrupt for several weeks before the birth, causing bleeding). It was about the same as for my vaginal births.

Lady_B 09-25-2012 10:04 AM

Yes you still bleed because your oft had to get all the baby goo out :). I had c/s twice now and I have to say my second was more then the first but my first baby was 6.4 and my second 9.4 sooooooo lol

PerfectFifth 09-25-2012 10:15 AM

Yep! If I recall, the bleeding is from the placenta detaching from the uterine wall, and that happens either way. So you still have a good excuse to stock up on some mama cloth, lol.

3lilbubs 09-25-2012 10:26 AM

I think there's misinformation out there that they give you sort of a D&C when you've had a cesarean. That's not true. They detach the placenta and make sure there's no membranes inside but you still have a typical lochia flow after the baby. I will tell you though, you'll want to use their mattress-pad thingies the first week or so after you deliver because with all the laying down/sitting that you will be doing in the first few days as you recover it will come out of you in a huge rush when you stand. It's gross and there's just nothing that can contain it that quickly. I've had four cesareans.

dancingingrace 09-25-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs (Post 15729130)
I think there's misinformation out there that they give you sort of a D&C when you've had a cesarean. That's not true. They detach the placenta and make sure there's no membranes inside but you still have a typical lochia flow after the baby. I will tell you though, you'll want to use their mattress-pad thingies the first week or so after you deliver because with all the laying down/sitting that you will be doing in the first few days as you recover it will come out of you in a huge rush when you stand. It's gross and there's just nothing that can contain it that quickly. I've had four cesareans.

Thanks for this piece of advice...that's something I wouldn't have known, and would have found out unpleasantly!

HotPotato1010 09-28-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingingrace (Post 15731235)
[/B]

Thanks for this piece of advice...that's something I wouldn't have known, and would have found out unpleasantly!

Yes, that is definitely good advice. I wish I had taken more of those big pads home with my first baby. I underestimated how great they were at containing the flow!

I've had 2 c-section and bled for both the same as moms with vbac/vaginal births. The bleeding isn't from pushing the baby out vaginally, it's your body's way of shedding blood and stuff from the pregnancy/birth.

It can last pretty long, too. With my 1st pregnancy, the bleeding lasted 8 weeks (towards the end, it lightened up but was still there!). With my 2nd, it lasted 7 weeks. So annoying!