Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   First birthday ideas (sugar free) ? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447161)

mel j 09-25-2012 07:56 AM

First birthday ideas (sugar free) ?

Any ideas?

danielle 09-25-2012 08:33 AM

Sure, use agave or honey. There are plenty of recipes out there that don't use sugar. Do you need a recipe?

SarahS12 09-25-2012 08:39 AM

There are cake recipes in wholesomebabyfood.com. I don't know if they are sugar free but they are definitely lower sugar.

CMamma 09-25-2012 08:59 AM

Re: First birthday ideas (sugar free) ?

What would you have in mind if sugar weren't an issue? It's easy to alter a recipe to make it w/o sugar. I'm happy to help.

And when you say sugar - do you mean just sugar or refined sugar? Or other sugars too like honey, agave, etc? I cook with no added sugars (all the others listed included). I do use some fruit though, like applesauce for sweetening. I just made an applesauce cake the other day that my boys love.

mel j 09-25-2012 09:28 AM

Just looking for ideas :) I replace sugar with honey a lot, so more looking for no sugar at all... would love to see the apple sauce cake recipe :goodvibes:

taylor's mom 09-25-2012 10:13 PM

instead of sugar frosting, i mashed up banana and frosted a cupcake with that for each of the kid's 1st bdays. they liked it and i didn't have to worry about them making themselves sick.

KelseyH 09-26-2012 05:38 AM

My mom made carrot cake cupcakes with no sugar for DS birthday and frosted it with whipped heavy cream and a touch of honey. They were delicious :) I can ask her for the recipe if you want.

mel j 09-26-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelseyH (Post 15732643)
My mom made carrot cake cupcakes with no sugar for DS birthday and frosted it with whipped heavy cream and a touch of honey. They were delicious :) I can ask her for the recipe if you want.

Sure! Thanks!

taylor's mom, my LO would definitely love the smushed up banana too :)

KelseyH 09-26-2012 10:41 AM

She used the pineapple, but no walnuts. And skipped the 3/4 c of honey - just 1/4 c.

Attachment 120788

Attachment 120789

NYCVeg 09-27-2012 06:24 AM

Are you looking for cake, specifically, or anything?

We like doing a rainbow fruit platter. We get a large rectangular dish, and then do "stripes" of fruit in rainbow color order, i.e., strawberries or watermelon, oranges or cantaloupe, pineapple, honeydew, blueberries, purple grapes. You can also do rainbow fruit skewers (cut off the top of a watermelon and use it as a base to stick the skewers in).