Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   I don't care what you call it, it still hurts (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447182)

happysmileylady 09-25-2012 08:48 AM

I don't care what you call it, it still hurts

I will be 37 weeks on Friday. My previous three were born at 39wks 4 days, 39wks 4 days and 38wks 4 days. So, I don't expect that I am going to be too many more weeks at all.

Last Wednesday I posted about getting nervous about the contractions I was having at that time. I have a lot anyway, but there were some differences and I did eventually call my OB and got some reassurance. The contractions on Wednesday were pretty regular but only every 20 minutes, so not quite "real" labor really, just something that warranted keeping an eye on them.

Since then, they have slowed down, but they are still "different." I am still at only 2 to 3 per hour, but rather than every 20 minutes, it will be like 10 minutes, 10 minutes, then half an hour, then 45 minutes, etc etc. I can feel them in my back too. Plus, often I will get this little adrenaline surge, or a hot flash along with them. And I can sometimes feel it coming, like up to a minute before the actual contraction hits, almost like a warning.

They are not however productive. They didn't check my cervix yesterday at my appointment, which is fine by me. I checked it myself, and it's like impossible to find. There's no way these contractions are actually DOING anything. So, it isn't "real" labor. But dang it, I don't care if you call it real labor, early labor, prodromal labor, false labor, whatever. These things are hurting. I am already miserable and these contractions, whatever kind you call them, are going to obviously go on for a couple of weeks at least. Going to be a suck-tastic couple of weeks. And I don't know that I can do these things for two or three more weeks and then do "real" labor completely epi free.

BESMama 09-25-2012 09:03 AM

Re: I don't care what you call it, it still hurts

For what it's worth, I had my 3rd baby epi free (my 1st and 2nd with epi) and yes, it hurts. But after a while you just sort of zone out and time goes away. When you really can't take it anymore, you're likely in transition. But if you want a med free birth you have to mentally prepare that drugs aren't an option.

I found pushing was about a million times easier when you could actually feel the urge (vs. with an epi where I was not 100% sure when to push or how to push).

Good luck!

happysmileylady 09-25-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BESMama (Post 15728752)
For what it's worth, I had my 3rd baby epi free (my 1st and 2nd with epi) and yes, it hurts. But after a while you just sort of zone out and time goes away. When you really can't take it anymore, you're likely in transition. But if you want a med free birth you have to mentally prepare that drugs aren't an option.

I found pushing was about a million times easier when you could actually feel the urge (vs. with an epi where I was not 100% sure when to push or how to push).

Good luck!

Well it's not *that* important to me really, last time I went without the thing thing that sticks out most to me was me asking myself why going epi free was such a big deal. If I can't do it again, I can't. I have done two without epi, and one with...and they all pretty much suck the same for me. All the epi did for me was dull a bit of the pain, it never actually numbed me or made it less intense and certainly didn't remove the "urge to push." For me there's no "urge to push" it's just "OMG, slow the freaking freight train down I need to take a breath for criminey's sake!: lol

HeatherlovesCDs 09-25-2012 11:37 AM

I'm exactly the same way. It was definitely worse in my twin pregnancies. But, it absolutely does hurt. When they come, they stop me in my tracts and my breathing gets heavy and I can hardly talk through them. Also, with every single one, I suddenly feel like I have to go pee so badly that I'm going to pee my pants and it hurts like heck! I feel them going into my legs and in my back. They are strong. I get a LOT more of them in the evenings after about 4pm. Last night, they were coming probably every 6-8 minutes for a couple hours. :yuck: I know they aren't doing much and they aren't "real." It is discouraging. I'm planning my first epi free birth. I've hired a doula and prepared and I don't even know if I want to do it anymore. I probably only have a max of 2 more weeks left also, but I'm scared I'll have more. My first was 39wks 1 day and my twins were 35 wks then 36wks. We can't really go by my history with 2 sets of twins. It could mean, I'm prone to delivering early, but it could be also that with only one baby my body will easily stretch and hang on for longer. Who knows. I can't even imagine going all the way to 40wks getting more and more and stronger and stronger contractions. With my last twin pregnancy, I contracted every 10 minutes or more very strongly for well over a month. I ended up at 5cms and in the hospital for a week because of it. So, this shouldn't feel be bothering me that much, but it really is annoying and frustrating!

happysmileylady 09-25-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Also, with every single one, I suddenly feel like I have to go pee so badly that I'm going to pee my pants and it hurts like heck!
OMG!!! YES, EXACTLY! It's like this huge sharp bladder pain, and I instantly have to pee! OR, in reverse, having to pee with trigger the contraction.

Quote:

So, this shouldn't feel be bothering me that much, but it really is annoying and frustrating!
It is just really wearing and draining is what it is. It takes effort to deal with each one, and multiply that times how many times a day they happen and that's a lot of expended effort to get like nothing done.

Kiliki 09-25-2012 11:59 AM

Sounds like maybe prodromal labor? to me.

I had prodromal labor for about 2 wks with DS. It was absolute misery. It WAS painful. Not to the point of me howling and being in complete agony, but enough that it made me stop and pay attention. I was SO annoyed. I wishes labor would either just start already or that the contrax would just go away. :(

I'm sorry you are experiencing it. It's no fun. But on the bright side, you won't be pregnant forever, and hopefully you'll be done sooner rather than later! :hugs:

HeatherlovesCDs 09-25-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 15729512)
OMG!!! YES, EXACTLY! It's like this huge sharp bladder pain, and I instantly have to pee! OR, in reverse, having to pee with trigger the contraction.

It is just really wearing and draining is what it is. It takes effort to deal with each one, and multiply that times how many times a day they happen and that's a lot of expended effort to get like nothing done.

I've wondered the same...it's like the chicken and the egg. Which came first, the severe debilitating urge to pee or the contraction??? They wake me up at night and I wonder what actually woke me, the need to pee or the contraction I wake up having. :banghead:

At least in real labor, it has a purpose. This feels so pointless except to drive me insane! :cry:and :hairpull:

DragonnMama 10-10-2012 12:53 PM

I had prodromal labor for almost a month (my little one was 2 weeks late), and even my early active labor wasn't productive. Planned for a midwife-attended natural birth, got stuck being induced at the hospital. It ALL hurt like hell, especially the ones closer to when she was born! It's not "fake" that's for sure.

Had a long, pitocin induced labor but FWIW I only pushed for 20 mins. Maybe it helped? :)

waterisntsomething 10-10-2012 12:58 PM

That sucks! In case it makes you feel better, when I was overdue my midwife tried to strip my membranes and my cervix was so high she couldn't reach. I gave birth 2 days later. I also didn't start dilating until active labor.

4dramamama 10-12-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs

At least in real labor, it has a purpose. This feels so pointless except to drive me insane! :cry:and :hairpull:

To me, this is truly the difference. Labor has a true purpose and a foreseeable end. Can't imagine indefinite, pointless pain. How frustrating. I'm so sorry.