Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Even when you save you just can't win (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447303)

keonli 09-25-2012 01:45 PM

Even when you save you just can't win

Just a little rant because I'm quite hormonal lately....

DH and I have been saving for a car. We desperately need not one car but 2 cars, so we've been pinching and saving for a reliable, used vehicle within the coming months, and then hopefully another by next summer or fall.

We've had a few setbacks too, like needing a new roof pretty soon and DH's hours being cut back at work, on top of saving some more for the new baby.

Well, DH's youngest sister's car just broke down. She's 24, so really, not that young. She has a full time job and a part time job. But since she just graduated from college and is the baby in the family, she has no savings or money for a car.

Our plan was to find a car relatively soon and give her one of our old ones. Apparently, DH's family finds this selfish. We know our cars will last a few years more and won't fit us with our commutes, but it will certainly work for someone just driving around the city like his sister does.

Apparently, they expect us to GIVE her money for another car (think $5,000) since (they think) we have that money in our bank accounts. DH and I do not discuss finances with his family, but they think that since we both work and are saving for a car, that we have money to just dish out to everyone. :banghead:

People never cease to amaze me....

Frizabeans 09-25-2012 01:49 PM

Nope. No how. Nuh uh.

Does DH think y'all should just give her your own money?

Good luck momma.

smores 09-25-2012 01:56 PM

Re: Even when you save you just can't win

Wow. What? That is the stupidest expectation i've ever heard! I would tell them they can go ask someone else for $5k or hope it drops out of the sky.

babycat42 09-25-2012 01:56 PM

That's ridiculous. How does the sister feel about this? Does she expect a cash gift for no reason?

keonli 09-25-2012 02:03 PM

His whole family expects it, yes.

DH honestly just laughed when a relative mentioned it to him. In the past, he would have felt bad for his family, but now that he has his own family to care for, he's smartened up.

slimy72 09-25-2012 02:05 PM

Banks are for car loans not family. Sorry you're dealing with this.

eco-mum 09-25-2012 02:10 PM

:jawdrop: that is so incredibly ridiculous.

lynn97 09-25-2012 02:11 PM

I have family like this too, sadly. For me, it's extended family so it's a little easier to say no. And none of them ever have jobs even though they're able-bodied so I have no guilt in saying no. Stay strong, mama!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Babybird4 09-25-2012 02:29 PM

Why can't she go to a dealership and make payments like everyone else who doesn't have the money up front? I think it is sad that they all expect you to just hand over the cash. Would she be expected to pay it back?

Catbutt Diapers 09-25-2012 02:33 PM

OK, I'm the youngest in the family, and by FAR the poorest (sis is actually a millionaire). And I would NEVER EVER EVER even THINK about asking that!!!!! I think his family is NUTS!