Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Plz help me choose a pump! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447307)

ericanicole1111 09-25-2012 03:11 PM

Plz help me choose a pump!

I am working on my registry and have no idea where to start when it comes to breast pumps...I tried looking at reviews on amazon and a few other sites but not finding any real info that helps...

I am not sure yet if i will be going back to work after baby but if I do I will be at work 8 hours a day and need to pump there... other than that I will just pump when leaving the baby with my mom or if daddy wants to feed her.

I really don't want to spend $200+ on a Medela....Any other reccomendations?? And also not sure if I should get a single or double?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Kmomto2 09-25-2012 04:29 PM

Re: Plz help me choose a pump!

If you are going back to work I would get a Medela, hygeia or Ameda pump, both of those can be properly fitted for you whereas the cheaper pumps would not be able to be. Pumps are not one size fits all and you can really tear yourself up if you are pumping with an ill fitting pump. Especially if you are pumping as much as you would working full time. If you are wanting a pump for occasional use and do not return to work a hand pump like the medela harmony works really nicely and is easy on the hands. Some hospitals even have them to give away, you could always ask! It is also able to be fitted to your size.

KelseyH 09-25-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmomto2
If you are going back to work I would get a Medela, hygeia or Ameda pump, both of those can be properly fitted for you whereas the cheaper pumps would not be able to be. <b>Pumps are not one size fits all and you can really tear yourself up if you are pumping with an ill fitting pump. Especially if you are pumping as much as you would working full time. </b>If you are wanting a pump for occasional use and do not return to work a hand pump like the medela harmony works really nicely and is easy on the hands. Some hospitals even have them to give away, you could always ask! It is also able to be fitted to your size.

I totally agree with the bolded. You'll be using it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for ~12 months or more. $300 for that kind of usage is not that bad. I would MUCH rather spend that money on a good pump than spend $80 on a cheap pump that wouldn't be strong enough or well-fitting enough to keep up my supply, and consequently have to spend $$hundreds on formula. Kwim?

I have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced and I'm a SAHM! It was worth every. single. penny. (I think I got it on sale for $275-ish, normally $320). I used it constantly (daily or more) for the first six months to have breast milk stored (and to make baby food with), and then again daily when my son was 8-14 months old, when I increased my supply to donate to a friend's baby.

When DS was jaundiced and needed bottle feedings after every nursing session from day one to week three, my Medela was priceless. I wouldn't have been able to breastfeed without a good pump because my supply wouldn't have been enough (DS was tongue tied). We saved as much money as we could - refinished all of his nursery furniture, didn't buy new clothes, etc, but we bought a new carseat, a new crib, and a great pump. Those are non-negotiables for me.

BuckeyeHokieMommy 09-25-2012 07:10 PM

I absolutely love my Medela PISA (Pump in Style Advanced). I got mine through my registry on BRU. My mom actually bought it, and with the 20% off coupons, it was more affordable.

I'm an RN, and I worked 4 days/week with my first baby (born in Oct 2009). Now I work 2 days a week (with my second baby). I still use that same pump, and its going strong! :)

hohaas 09-28-2012 02:53 PM

I have a Medela PISA that I use both at home and work and a Medela Swing I use at home and on the go. Love them both but my PISA pumps the milk out faster than the Swing. I think a Medela pump is worth the investment. Check to see if your insurance will cover all or part of the cost of a pump. I know many will since they qualify as DME.

jaelynsmommy61607 09-30-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohaas
I have a Medela PISA that I use both at home and work and a Medela Swing I use at home and on the go. Love them both but my PISA pumps the milk out faster than the Swing. I think a Medela pump is worth the investment. Check to see if your insurance will cover all or part of the cost of a pump. I know many will since they qualify as DME.

I have the same set up. I actually.prefer the swing over the pisa. It may have to do with it being easier to set up. If I could go back I'd get a hygeia over the pisa.

Wanderlust 09-30-2012 05:11 PM

I suggest a Medela PISA too. I used two different hospital grade pumps while my twins were in the NICU and preferred my PISA.

It's a true workhorse- I exclusive pumped for my twins for 1 year and I used it up to 10 times every day.