Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   4 month old showing ready signs? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447314)

cassie.sattler 09-25-2012 02:20 PM

4 month old showing ready signs?

well owen just turned four months 3 days ago. i thought i would ebf until 6 months like recommended then attempt blw. he has at least doubled in weight since birth. he seems really interested when people eat. he isnt drooling so much and holds his head up well. he doesnt sit on his own yet. i was curious one day to see if he liked my green smoothie i made and i gave him a pea size amount. he didnt thrust it back out. i dont want to rush anything but it makes me wonder is he is ready :/

wwyd?

stephy2241 09-28-2012 12:25 AM

Re: 4 month old showing ready signs?

You should give him some oatmeal or a cereal mixed with BM, thats what i did and shes loved all food ever since : )

moonlightblonde 09-28-2012 11:33 AM

I'd wait =) my dd is about a month older & aside from giving in and letting her attack the last swig of water from my glass she doesn't get anything other than bm - though not for lack of trying...she has a lightning fast death grip to anything I try to eat. She has more than doubled her birth weight. Time goes by so fast - don't rush it (IMO anyway)

beansie19 09-28-2012 12:27 PM

You can start solids if he has teeth. But they don't really have the proper digestive juices/enzymes until then. Also, I would start with bananas or avocados. Grains are hard to handle before 9 months, even rice cereal.

akfran 09-28-2012 02:53 PM

Make him happy and give him some tastes! we did!

keen1981 09-28-2012 02:59 PM

In the big picture waiting two
Months is nothing. I would wait. If they aren't sitting well, IMO not ready.

QTKT 10-02-2012 04:24 PM

If you do start introducing new foods it's recommended to only introduce one thing at a time and wait several days before introducing another. That way if baby has any negative reactions you can pinpoint what triggered it. I started introducing solids when my son was 4 1/2 months I think.

gastonanne 10-19-2012 01:14 AM

My little girl is almost 4 months and she has been acting ready since 3 months. She watches every time we eat something. I have given her just the tiniest amount of bland food on my finger tip and she has had a very appropriate "chewing response". I think every baby is going to be ready at a different point and if you are ever concerned or curious ask your pediatrician. I am a pediatric occupational therapist and work with kids with severe feeding disorders so I am just thrilled to see "typical" oral motor development happening in my household!

mamaratliff 10-24-2012 02:39 PM

Eh wait. My lo shows the same signs of readiness too, but I'm holding off until at least 7 months. IMO it's just a lot of work, and mess. Since they don't actually need solids, and should still be getting all of their nutrients from their milk until a year anyway.

willownz 10-24-2012 09:47 PM

Readiness for me means picking the food up themselves and being able to put it in their own mouths. No parental help at all. They also need to be bale to sit up by themselves This happens somewhere around 5-7 months, but sometimes later. Until that happens they are just not ready. I BLW by the way.
Try sitting your LO on you lap when you eat dinner. If they grab food off your plate and try to eat it, they are ready.