Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Kitchenaid mixer or food processor? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447446)

clarinetb 09-25-2012 09:58 PM

Kitchenaid mixer or food processor?

Perhaps an odd question, but was wondering what others thought.

I think my very basic food processor just died :( So while I"m not up to buying anything right now, trying to think of what might make the most sense. I've been tempted by the fancy looking kitchenaid mixers since you can get attachments to do cool things :D Or I could get a good food processor.

I currently have an blender, magic bullet and a basic handheld bater/mixer. I didn't use the food processor a lot (my mother never had one, so one of those things where you usually go to the default way of making something :P ) but have used it more recently since I broke my blender to make things like hummus. I think I killed the food processor tryign to make 'larabars' and chop the whole dates.... so something that could do that would be nice, haha!

Anyway, thoughts if you had just one that you coudl purchase what would you get?

mama_to_DJM 09-26-2012 06:26 PM

Re: Kitchenaid mixer or food processor?

I have both- a medium (4 cup) food processor, and a KA mixer with attachments. I use them both for different purposes, and love having both! Do you have any other specific questions I can answer? I want to help. :) (I love talking about kitchen stuff!)

clarinetb 09-26-2012 11:16 PM

I get very overwhelmed looking at the Kitchen Aid stuff :P
Can I ask generally what you use each for? Since my mum didn't have either in the kitchen, I think I am likely missing the potential of what I could use them for. :P

Sigh, I figured I'd get your answer that both are useful, trying to decide if I should aim for a mixer and do without a food processor for awhile... gah... or look for really good sales? :P

Resellmybelle 09-26-2012 11:50 PM

I sold my kitchen aid mixer, a really nice one with all sorts of attachments I rarely used and bought a Bosch universal mixer. I love it and have no regrets. The thing is awesome. I didn't like how the kitchen aid took up so much space, was horribly heavy, had that big motor on top so did not have easy access to the bowl and it wouldn't even fit under my cabinets, plus the attachments seemed to have way too many parts to keep up with.

The Bosch is a monster of a mixer, but does small batches well and has endless attachments. And does not take up near the space as the ka. I placed mine on a board I can slide to the back of the counter and up again when I need it.

I have yet to get any of the attachments, but plan on getting the slicer shredder first, but they also have a food processor attachment that looks great. Oh, mine came with the BLENDER, so I have that. I have made lots of smoothies in this blender, works like a champ. By the way, I have an immersion blender by cuisinart that is fantastic for little jobs, (read hummus) highly recommend. stick blender

I think you can check out Pleasant Grain Mills for the mixer. I got the older model on Craigslist and paid less than what I got for the kitchen aid I sold.

There are several YouTube segments on them also. I have made hummus and waffle/pancake batter too in the blender, comes out perfectly. I have made cookies, cakes and breads in the mixer. So simple and easy to use and clean up is a breeze.

CMamma 09-27-2012 08:41 AM

I have a KA stand mixer w/multiple attachments (& use it at least once daily). I also have a FP that I NEVER use anymore b/c my blender (Ninja) does everything it did & more. I can't live w/o my blender or mixer. FP is just a space waster here.

Resellmybelle 09-27-2012 10:58 AM

Mine just didn't fit under my cabinet and was way too heavy and I never used it because of the mess it made due to not having an open bowl. I know lots of people love their ka. I did not.

BellaPepper 09-27-2012 11:04 AM

I have both and use them all the time. I make hummus, Lara bars, mayo, salsa, jam etc etc in my food processor. I mostly just use my KA for cookies and bread though. If I had to choose I would pick my food processor b/c I use it for more.

babycat42 09-27-2012 11:18 AM

I have a Kitchenaid, a Cuisinart, a magic bullet, a really old vintage hand crank grater.
They all have their uses. I don't really use my ka much right now, but I am not baking much. I mainly use my Cuisinart to make mayonnaise and then ranch and stuff. My bullet gets used 3-10 times a day I had to get extra cups and blades for it. I use my crank grater at least once a day too. It's really easy to use.
At this time I am not doing much from scratch cooking. It really depends on what you make. I really prefer using appliances or gadgets that can be easily washed in the dishwasher.

What kind of cooking do you do?

Hands&Fire Pottery 09-27-2012 11:37 AM

I like my KA mixer, but not too crazy about my KA food processor. If it gets too full, it starts chopping at the plastic and that isn't what I want to eat- shredded plastic.

mama_to_DJM 09-27-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetb (Post 15736855)
I get very overwhelmed looking at the Kitchen Aid stuff :P
Can I ask generally what you use each for? Since my mum didn't have either in the kitchen, I think I am likely missing the potential of what I could use them for. :P

Sigh, I figured I'd get your answer that both are useful, trying to decide if I should aim for a mixer and do without a food processor for awhile... gah... or look for really good sales? :P

Sorry. ;) I use my mixer about 10x more often than my food processor, but then again it costs several times what the fp does. Here's what I use them for:

Mixer
Mixing batters, frosting, whipped cream, etc.
Kneading dough (for bread, rolls, pizza dough, etc.)
Use my shredding attachment when I want to grate a lot of something
Grinder attachment for making ground beef
Fruit/vegetable strainer attachment for making apple butter

Food processor
Mainly used for making hummus
Chopping things like nuts
Dicing onions/vegetables if I have more than I feel like doing by hand
Grating things like cheese or vegetables, if I don't feel like getting out my mixer

This is the mixer I have, and they don't make my same food processor anymore, but it's a 5 cup KitchenAid one.