Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   coconut cream concentrate ? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447539)

pumkinsmommy 09-26-2012 09:20 AM

coconut cream concentrate ?

Does anyone use this? I bought it from Tropical Traditions thinking I could replace canned coconut milk that I like to use in cooking. Now I am not sure. I would appreciate any info from those who use it.:goodvibes:

betsynic 09-26-2012 01:27 PM

Re: coconut cream concentrate ?

Have you looked at the manufacturer's website? They have a ton of recipes for this.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/co....htm#b1g1_pint

pumkinsmommy 09-26-2012 05:45 PM

Thank you, yes I saw the website. I wanted to dilute it to replace canned coconut milk to use in my recipes.

KaleidoscopeEyes 09-26-2012 05:49 PM

oh man that stuff is so yummy i can eat it by the spoon :drif:

Yarnjess 09-26-2012 05:53 PM

You can make coconut milk with shredded coconut. Here's a link to a recipe.

pumkinsmommy 09-26-2012 06:25 PM

I don't think I am making myself clear:giggle:. I have a quart jar of the concentrate that I want to use to make milk. Has anyone used this to make coconut milk to use in place of the canned stuff?:goodvibes:

Leocaligirl 09-26-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes (Post 15735565)
oh man that stuff is so yummy i can eat it by the spoon :drif:

I agree.

Nandis 09-26-2012 08:24 PM

It's more like ground, dried coconut rather than a condensed or evaporated milk like you were thinking. I thought it would be like that, too, but it's more like a nut butter. I would compare it to trying to dilute almond butter to make almond milk. It just doesn't really work that way. Sorry.

Before I really understood what I was dealing with, I used it to make "creamed" spinach, but really, it was grainy and not the right texture. I just added a bit to the pan and then added water till I liked the consistency. You can dilute it in sauces like that as long as the texture doesn't bother you, I guess. But it can't really be a milk substitute... at least I never figured out how to use it that way.

pumkinsmommy 09-26-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandis (Post 15736274)
It's more like ground, dried coconut rather than a condensed or evaporated milk like you were thinking. I thought it would be like that, too, but it's more like a nut butter. I would compare it to trying to dilute almond butter to make almond milk. It just doesn't really work that way. Sorry.

Before I really understood what I was dealing with, I used it to make "creamed" spinach, but really, it was grainy and not the right texture. I just added a bit to the pan and then added water till I liked the consistency. You can dilute it in sauces like that as long as the texture doesn't bother you, I guess. But it can't really be a milk substitute... at least I never figured out how to use it that way.

Oh, I'm sad. I was thinking that I would put it through a fine mesh strainer after I dilute it to remove the solid bits. I think I might call the company and ask. I wasn't thinking of it like reg. milk but rather coconut milk that comes in cans. I want to use it in my curry dishes.

Nandis 09-26-2012 10:04 PM

On the Tropical Tradition's recipe page, under their recipe for coconut milk (made from shredded coconut) I found this comment from Sarah (the owner's daughter):

You can mix about 1 teaspoon of CCC to 6-8 oz of water to make coconut cream milk. This can be a substitute for coconut milk but it's not the same (gritty because of the fiber). If you want to do that just mix the two ingredients together. That's all there is to it. If you want a true coconut milk though you have to follow the above recipe exactly. Sorry, but it can't be changed.
# Posted By Sarah | 11/16/09 11:38 AM

So it looks like she has had similar experience. It's close, but grainy. When I bought it, I was hoping for a shelf stable, mix it as needed coconut milk. What I got was a yummy addition to recipes, an awesome butter for sweet sandwiches, and something yum to make a spoon delicious. ;) I think you should try it and see if you like the results! Just because I didn't, doesn't mean you won't. GL!!