Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Non minimalism? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447596)

elizabeth.scalf 09-26-2012 12:48 PM

Non minimalism?

What are you NON minimalist about? I'm not asking about what you have trouble/struggles with minimalizing, but what are you purposely and intentionally keeping non-minimalist in your life?

For me, I love houseplants. I have maybe 12 of them, I love growing them, pruning them, feeling the dirt, smelling them, everything about them. While I don't want to go overboard with them, by minimalizing other stuff in the house, I now have room to enjoy and grow them, and time to dedicate to their care.

Another collection I've been slowly expanding is outdoor toys for the kids. They each have 2 'bike' items (trike, scooters, balance bike etc all count as 'bikes'). I'm thinking about geting one of those Cozy Coupes for them to ride together. They also have various balls, yard toys, etc. I feel like this is one area where I want them to have a variety of options to experience.

tlc981 09-26-2012 12:58 PM

Re: Non minimalism?

Kids clothing......If I can get nice brands cheap I will buy them, I'd rather have too much bought on sale/clearance/thrift store then to have stuff get ruined and have to pay more to replace it.

Joluru 09-26-2012 02:10 PM

Lunch box supplies. I make a cute lunch box every day and have sandwich cutters, egg shapers, a few different styles of boxes, etc. I enjoy making a healthy lunch cute for my kids and don't mind the space taken by it.

Also, books! I'm never going to be a book minimalist. I love them!

cherylchoo 09-26-2012 03:09 PM

Kitchen stuff. I have duplicates of spatulas, etc and lots of small appliances, tons of things like cookie cutters. I have lots of memories growing up of cooking with my family so I want to give my kids the same. The key is making sure I don't have more than I can easily store.

Also kid books. I tried getting them to use a e-reader but they like real books. And I have an age range to cover with 3 kids. We do go to the library and check out 50-80 books at a time, but we also have a decent collection at home.

MotherMoonPads 09-26-2012 03:30 PM

Yarn, and I don't feel an ounce of guilt.

elizabeth.scalf 09-26-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads (Post 15734772)
Yarn, and I don't feel an ounce of guilt.

I totally forgot about my fabric stash! I haven't gone through it yet... don't know how I feel about it. I did make up some PP pads and changing pads and other stuff for this new baby, and didn't even try to go through it. I'll probably leave a really cute assortment of fleeces and cottons. I'll get rid of the scraps and weird stuff but I just part with ALL of my stash.

lalaith 09-26-2012 06:51 PM

Books. I got rid of over half, taking me down to a couple hundred, and I regret it soooo much. Even if I don't have time to read much these days, it makes me happy to have them.

P!nkPepper 09-26-2012 07:07 PM

Cloth diapers ~ I have probably 40 & I don't feel guilty. I also have lots of family pictures, a clock, some wall quotes & 3 vases in my living room. I love how it looks & it makes me smile to see them. Maybe I've never been "minimalist" or minimal, just simple. I only want what makes me happy, nothing I'm "supposed" to have.

Jodie ~ wife & mama

qsefthuko 09-26-2012 07:28 PM

Diapers 200+ and kitchen supplies(30+cutters, 6 bundt pans, etc.) and cookbooks 80+.

clothlover8 09-26-2012 08:58 PM

hmmm good question -- kids? lol joking. Probably cloth diapers - although I have really minimalised my stash it's still more than I need.