Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   what can I do w/ red lentils? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447705)

3rugrats 09-26-2012 04:26 PM

what can I do w/ red lentils?

beside curry?

weesej 09-26-2012 04:35 PM

Re: what can I do w/ red lentils?

I would make Dahl, but perhaps that is curry to you.

Cook them in chicken broth (double the amount of lentils) and cumin, salt, pepper and a little cayenne. Serve over rice.

Just Ducky 09-26-2012 04:48 PM

Stuff an acorn squash. Chop it in half, gut it, and bake it face down on parchment paper at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes (give or take depending on the size of the squash). While it's cooking, caramelize some onions and then toss in some peppers. When that is cooked and the squash is done, mix the onions and peppers in with the lentils. Season the squash to taste (I personally like to use a bit of brown sugar and some smoked paprika) and fill it with the lentil mix. If you like, you can also dice some fresh spinach and use that as a bed inside the squash for the lentil mix.

corinne76 09-26-2012 04:48 PM

subbing! I just made lentils and used some for a salad. I actually came here looking for recipes for lentils

danielle 09-26-2012 04:50 PM

Make some seasoned brown rice with a nice carrot and onion dice in the rice. (Saute carrots and onions, add the rice, add the broth, bring to a boil, turn low, cook covered 50 minutes) Make the lentils in broth in a separate pot. Squeeze a bit of lemon over the lentils when done. While it's all still nice and hot, toss in some finely diced zucchini or even cucumber, adjust salt and drizzle some nice EVO over it all.

It looks pretty, tastes fresh and I have gotten tons of compliments on this dish. It serves well hot, lukewarm, room temp and cold. Make it your own.

pumkinsmommy 09-26-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danner (Post 15735348)
Make some seasoned brown rice with a nice carrot and onion dice in the rice. (Saute carrots and onions, add the rice, add the broth, bring to a boil, turn low, cook covered 50 minutes) Make the lentils in broth in a separate pot. Squeeze a bit of lemon over the lentils when done. While it's all still nice and hot, toss in some finely diced zucchini or even cucumber, adjust salt and drizzle some nice EVO over it all.

It looks pretty, tastes fresh and I have gotten tons of compliments on this dish. It serves well hot, lukewarm, room temp and cold. Make it your own.

I add lentils to my rice and cook them together. Now I have a rice maker and put it in there. It is so good and the lentils cook in the same time as the rice.

Leocaligirl 09-26-2012 07:06 PM

YUMMY

qsefthuko 09-26-2012 07:24 PM

Lentil stew. We use brown lentils as that is what we have locally. I imagine red lentils work just as great.

corinne76 09-26-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leocaligirl (Post 15735868)

LOL, I ended up making hummus with mine :thumbsup:

issybissy 09-26-2012 08:29 PM

Kitchri...
It's rice and lentil combo
Fry up some onion, toss in some whole spices like cumin, clove,cardamom, and cinnamon. Wait til fragrant.
Add in the (soaked for an hour) rice and lentils. Stir fry for a bit
Add water
Finish in rice cooker.