Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In June (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Homebirthing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447756)

ElsieCayare 09-26-2012 06:56 PM

Homebirthing

Any crazies other than me, yet?

JasmineMama 09-27-2012 01:09 PM

Re: Homebirthing

I would love to! I live in a state where it is not "allowed" and the closest midwife that I know of lives about an hour away, but I am really thinking about doing it this time. (I've had two unmedicated hospital births).

ElsieCayare 09-27-2012 01:21 PM

I didn't know that any states didn't allow it. I know that there is a rabid state senator in Michigan who is trying to make it near to impossible here.

I had a good experience with it, other than having to be transferred afterwards for 2nd degree tears that were too close to my cervix to fix at home.

gingerpeachee 09-27-2012 02:35 PM

I would like one, but the hospital we'd have to transfer to is 30 minutes away and I'm just not comfortable with that.

ElsieCayare 09-27-2012 03:01 PM

Understandable. We're 7 minutes from the "Horspital" (they don't do deliveries, just give old people oxygen from what I can gather - I went in for a pregnancy blood panel once and they thought it was supposed to be a spinal tap), 25 minutes from an OK hospital, and an hour from the hospital that my midwife works at.

It was an hour in a MONSOON to get stitched up after DS. Then we got home, and didn't have any electricity or water (we live on an ex-Amish farm). Luckily, FIL showed up to hook up the generator, as we were all to tired to figure it out.

tricia17lee 09-28-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerpeachee
I would like one, but the hospital we'd have to transfer to is 30 minutes away and I'm just not comfortable with that.

I would seriously consider it but the nearest hospitals are not options for me. Last time I chose midwives and birthed an hour away and loved the care there, so ill be returning to them this time around. Birth center within a hospital with midwives- natural birth. It was the best of both worlds- I was so comfortable there I wasn't anxious to leave. It felt like a hotel!

The other issue with home birth for me is our health insurance won't cover any of the costs so the midwife and supplies would be out of pocket as opposed to fully covered like at the hospital.

gingerpeachee 09-28-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricia17lee (Post 15741849)
I would seriously consider it but the nearest hospitals are not options for me. Last time I chose midwives and birthed an hour away and loved the care there, so ill be returning to them this time around. Birth center within a hospital with midwives- natural birth. It was the best of both worlds- I was so comfortable there I wasn't anxious to leave. It felt like a hotel!

The other issue with home birth for me is our health insurance won't cover any of the costs so the midwife and supplies would be out of pocket as opposed to fully covered like at the hospital.

This is my plan too!

ElsieCayare 09-28-2012 02:19 PM

My insurance ended 3 days before DS was born but they covered about 80% of the midwifery care. I think we paid about 2K out of pocket

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DS Forum

NaturalCOMommy 10-04-2012 10:20 PM

Yes! I did a free standing birthing center with my first, but we are planning a home birth this time. I'm going to be calling midwives tomorrow to start interviewing! Any advice to pick a midwife?

Fishie Kisses 10-04-2012 10:32 PM

I would absolutely love to, but DH is completely NOT on board. He agreed to a birthing center with DS3, but we were very put off by the service we received when we went to check it out. So, it's a hospital again for us. I'm lucky to have had all positive hospital experiences though.