Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tetralogy of Fallot (x posted in special needs) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447758)

EmilyA874 09-26-2012 07:05 PM

Tetralogy of Fallot (x posted in special needs)

Any one had a baby with this? We just found out today that our baby due in January has this heart defect and will have to undergo heart surgery to fix it. I'm still in shock and don't have any specific questions quite yet but would love to hear from other moms who have been there or are there.

Tina5834 09-26-2012 07:47 PM

No advice just :hugs:

weesej 09-26-2012 07:59 PM

Re: Tetralogy of Fallot (x posted in special needs)

A dear friend was born with this. It was repaired at age 4 I believe and she is now 35 with 3 children. I am glad they found out ahead of time so your baby can get the care it needs. Praying for you!

Happy Mommax4 09-26-2012 07:59 PM

a work friend of mine had a GD that was born with it, she has open heart in her first year of life and has to have another open heart surgery later in life.

Her GD is probably 3 now? (we don't work together any longer) but she is living a "normal" life, you'd never know.

I'm not sure if that helped, I know when we had medical issues w our DD it helped knowing that someone else got through it.

we will be thinking of your family (hugs)

EmilyA874 09-27-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette (Post 15736064)
No advice just :hugs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesej (Post 15736138)
A dear friend was born with this. It was repaired at age 4 I believe and she is now 35 with 3 children. I am glad they found out ahead of time so your baby can get the care it needs. Praying for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 (Post 15736141)
a work friend of mine had a GD that was born with it, she has open heart in her first year of life and has to have another open heart surgery later in life.

Her GD is probably 3 now? (we don't work together any longer) but she is living a "normal" life, you'd never know.

I'm not sure if that helped, I know when we had medical issues w our DD it helped knowing that someone else got through it.

we will be thinking of your family (hugs)

Thank you for your hugs, thoughts and prayers ladies, I appreciate it. That does help Happy Mommax4, it's really helpful to hear about others who have gone through it and made it out okay on the other side. That's really what I am looking for right now, just stories that will reassure me this will be okay.

happymama1 09-27-2012 06:28 PM

I haven't been through this, but our second child, a boy, was discovered to have many health complications before he was born and it was extremely frightening to experience. Through that experience I gained perspective on several things:

1) a reality check that there are no guarantees in life. period. no one is guaranteed a healthy baby or child, and a child born with good health can have a painfully short life for a number of reasons beyond our control and a sick baby can turn out to live a nice LONG life!

2) I also learned that babies can be some of the most amazing little fighters out there! Medical care is also pretty amazing in this country...and the combination is pretty incredible sometimes. We were told our son would be in kidney failure by age 2 because of his condition. He prooved them wrong and is doing great (he's almost 4 now).

You and your baby will be in my thoughts and prayers in these coming months. Please keep us posted! Are they giving you any idea of what to expect just yet?

CherryPie 09-27-2012 10:25 PM

A mama on my FB from another board had a baby girl with this condition. She didn't know it until the baby was born and turned blue. Had to be flew to another hospital as her's could not address the baby's needs. The baby is 1 now and appears to be doing quite well. She had surgery shortly after birth.

My first baby was dx with a birth defect in utero. My thoughts are with you all :hugs:

kushie tushie 09-28-2012 07:00 AM

I'm just pasting what I posted in your other thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie

:hugs: I'm sorry! Having a sick newborn is super stressful. DS had a bowel blockage that was diagnosed in utero. He had surgery at like 23 hours old. It was a 6 hour surgery and so stressful. We then spent 3 weeks in the NICU.
Pm if you need someone to chat with! :hugs:

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Minniebees 09-28-2012 08:09 AM

I just wanted to give you :hugs: I have no real information for you, I'll just be thinking of you. :hugs:

EmilyA874 09-28-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 15741999)
I'm just pasting what I posted in your other thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minniebees (Post 15742279)
I just wanted to give you :hugs: I have no real information for you, I'll just be thinking of you. :hugs:

Thank you both :hugs: