Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Craziest "thrifty" meal you've ever made? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447762)

AutumnRose 09-26-2012 07:31 PM

Craziest "thrifty" meal you've ever made?

I'll start (oh and FYI I'm not pregnant!:giggle:)

So I made a cheap roast last night, cut it into steaks and there was enough left over for the slow cooker. Well, the meat shrank and there was hardly enough for DH and the kids! SO...Mama made herself a gravy, dumped it over oatmeal with a bag of mixed veggies...yes I know very odd, but didn't feel like making potatoes because I had planned on shredded beef sandwiches.

You know what...it was actually pretty good. Good enough to use up the rest of the leftovers for another batch to keep in the freezer!

So tell me your odd meal!

WyattsMommy09 09-26-2012 07:39 PM

Re: Craziest "thrifty" meal you've ever made?

I'm sitting here trying to think how gravy over oatmeal would be good, but hey! don't knock it until you've tried it, i guess??LOL

I once made a shephards pie, only i had hardly any ingredients. It ended up having groud beef, ground turkey, shredded chicken, peas, carrots, corn, black beans, kidney beans, green beans, bell peppers. I had to mix up gravy from ham drippings that were in the freezer, and I topped it with mashed potatoes mixed with quinoa and rice....

It wasn't half bad. But it wasn't so good as for me to cook it again. LOL

shanisimms 09-26-2012 07:51 PM

Make chili from a pound of beans (onions, seasoning, garlic, ect) and put it on top of baked potatoes with cheese and sour cream if you have it. That is cheap and super good.

qsefthuko 09-26-2012 07:54 PM

I made a pot of chilli for dinner. The next day I added cheese and noodles to the left overs to make chilli mac. The next day to the left overs from the left overs I added corn and some leftover chicken, topped with cornbread and told the kids it was chilli pot pie. They loved it.

Catbutt Diapers 09-26-2012 08:13 PM

OK. Strangest "thrifty" meal I've ever been subjected to comes with a story:

I was working as a teacher at a Hutterite colony and ate lunch with the colony every day. One day I asked "so what's for lunch today" and a student replied "Bertha is cooking, so we are having Oh Crap" I was shocked that a student had said that and began to say how inappropriate it was to call a lovely old woman's cooking "crap" when the oldest boy stepped up and said no, thats what everyone calls it... "Oh Crap" and warned me to grab bread as fast as posible since no one really ate the Oh Crap and just filled up on bread.
You see. Oh Crap is the loving term for... pork blood stew. Take the pigs heart, lungs, and I-don't-want-to-knows chop it up cook it, make a broth mixture of pork blood, flour, spices, and I-don't-want-to-know. Attempt to serve it. And there you have the thriftiest meal ever created, that NO ONE other than Bertha and Samuel would eat.

issybissy 09-26-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers (Post 15736206)

I was working as a teacher at a Hutterite colony and ate lunch with the colony every day. One day I asked "so what's for lunch today" and a student replied "Bertha is cooking, so we are having Oh Crap" I was shocked that a student had said that and began to say how inappropriate it was to call a lovely old woman's cooking "crap" when the oldest boy stepped up and said no, thats what everyone calls it... "Oh Crap" and warned me to grab bread as fast as posible since no one really ate the Oh Crap and just filled up on bread.
You see. Oh Crap is the loving term for... pork blood stew. Take the pigs heart, lungs, and I-don't-want-to-knows chop it up cook it, make a broth mixture of pork blood, flour, spices, and I-don't-want-to-know. Attempt to serve it. And there you have the thriftiest meal ever created, that NO ONE other than Bertha and Samuel would eat.

:headscratch:
:yuck:

Leiiki 09-26-2012 08:45 PM

DH and I play "Iron Chef" with random stuff in the pantry. He picks three items before he leaves for work, and I have to use at least two of them for dinner. We've had "Pizza Pasta" (pretty good) and "Cajun Fried Rice" (not so good). When we run out of meat, I tend to get creative with SPAM recipes until we can stock up again. SPAM Thai Curry, anyone?

Marianna1988 09-26-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki (Post 15736383)
DH and I play "Iron Chef" with random stuff in the pantry. He picks three items before he leaves for work, and I have to use at least two of them for dinner. We've had "Pizza Pasta" (pretty good) and "Cajun Fried Rice" (not so good). When we run out of meat, I tend to get creative with SPAM recipes until we can stock up again. SPAM Thai Curry, anyone?

We eat pizza casserole a lot. One of our favorites :)

redsonja 09-27-2012 03:17 AM

Last night we had sloppy franks ( sloppy joes with hotdog buns) and applesauce and reviled eggs. Meals get weird right before payday in our house.

AutumnRose 09-27-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers (Post 15736206)

UCK! I think I'm going to skip on breakfast now...although is it really thrifty if it's wasted? :giggle: