Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   not as in love with BFing as I thought....help? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447773)

crunchymom2b 09-26-2012 08:04 PM

not as in love with BFing as I thought....help?

DS finally came home from the hospital on Monday night!! After 3 long weeks! While he was there I nursed about once per day, sometimes 2-3 times. We have to use a shield and he just recently got a decent latch.

I have almost 200oz frozen already and am running out of freezer space until we can afford a chest freezer next week. Now that he's home I try to put him to the breast every time he seems hungry and he typically eats/sucks. If he's gassy he pops off a lot as the gas/pooping bothers him. Sometimes he'll stay on a few minutes, sometimes for an hour. He can also chug a bottle like crazy. It def. doesn't feel likehe's emptying my breasts though and now I wake up in the night pouring milk all over myself but it's so hard to find time to pump nowthat he's home. Part of me wants to say screw it and just pump like I did for DS1, especially now that I actually have a great supply. I don't want to lose my great supply either.

Breastfeeding just seems messy and awkward but I know he's still super young and we haven't really had time to get into a routine. Will things get better? How often should I pump? He won't latch if I'm super fullor engorged. And with a 3 year old pumping quickly beforehand isn't always feasible.

I guess I thought breastfeeding would be filled with warm and fuzzies and its not. I feel terrible that I'm even thinking of voluntarily giving up, especially because I've dealt with mommy guilt from NOT being able to nurse at all with DS1 since he was born. ugh I just don't know! help? :banghead:

FindingMercy 09-26-2012 08:08 PM

It will get better! Give yourself a small goal. Stick with it for 4 more weeks and then reevaluate. It will be so incredibly much less work to nurse than to exclusively pump once you both get it figured out!

vmomma 09-26-2012 08:53 PM

Re: not as in love with BFing as I thought....help?

Congrats on your baby boy coming home! I pumped for my 25 weeker for 6 months before she was strong enough to feed from the breast. It was a pain, but I was willing to do whatever it took to make sure my baby got breastmilk. I have a 4 month old, full term baby now, and WOW...is nursing SO much easier. I pumped in the beginning to relieve the over supply, but once my supply regulated, there was no mess at all. It's so much easier not dealing with bottles, and having all the extra gear to lug around. I encourage you to stick with it. The more you put baby to breast, the easier it will be. It sounds like you have more milk than you will need, so just feed baby from the breast and let your supply regulate. Good luck!!

UmmKira 09-26-2012 09:04 PM

There are definitely tough spots with nursing, and the very beginning is definitely one of them. Stick with it, and you'll love the bond you build with your LO. I'm just now weaning my 22 month old and as frustrated as I was with her playing around while she was nursing, I miss the snuggle time with her. :wub:

Mom3B1G 09-26-2012 09:27 PM

It will get better! 3 weeks is a notorious time for difficulty BFing, anyway. Babies have a growth spurt, so mama gets overproduction, breasts get engorged, it's hard to latch, etc. So, it's partly due to his age at coming home. Part of it is also because you have been pumping and have a great supply. Work on it for a little longer, and I think once it improves, you will be so glad you did!

lecialefty 09-27-2012 06:33 AM

:hugs:

I think I have yet to feel warm fuzzies with dd2. Yet I'm too stubborn to give up even though I don't like it.

I will say after 6 weeks it did get a little better.

Have you tried some gas drops to help him?

Connor 09-28-2012 02:54 AM

If you get engorged you can hand express just enough to soften the breast enough to latch on.

crunchymom2b 09-28-2012 07:14 AM

my supply is dropping :-( Part of me is really really wanting to just pump but I'm giving it 4 weeks. I'm gonna continue to nurse him throughout the day but continue pumping to keep my supply. I want to make sure I have a huge freezer stash just in case.

bea2269 09-28-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy
It will get better! Give yourself a small goal. Stick with it for 4 more weeks and then reevaluate. It will be so incredibly much less work to nurse than to exclusively pump once you both get it figured out!

Small goals are definitely the way to go right now. Sometimes, I would have to take 1 feeding at a time. Thinking long term can be very daunting. I did not have the warm fuzzies until I was a few months in. I would pump just enough before feedings so as not to be engorged. I would also pump after feedings to build my stash, but I also ended up with a huge oversupply. So, I may not be the best to listen to. I would take it one day at a time for now. It really does get better. I love not having to get up and make a bottle. Breast milk is always the right temp and ready to go!

hohaas 09-28-2012 09:37 AM

BFing isnt always as glamorous as it's made out to be and that's ok! If you can keep your supply up enough to at least satisfy him that's good. And if you can get extra to store that's even better! If you decide to just pump that's fine-your baby is still getting breast milk!