Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   13 month old too busy for potty? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447829)

ohsnap 09-27-2012 12:06 AM

13 month old too busy for potty?

I started sitting my daughter on the potty after naps at about four months old, and up until she was about ten months she very rarely used a diaper. Since then, I haven't been able to sit her down long enough to go. She will sit there for a second, then usually stand up, look down, and watch herself pee. And then she rushes back to whatever she was doing. In the bathtub one day she stood up, looked down, and was starting and stopping and giggling about it, so I'm fairly certain she has plenty of control and can hold it, she just can't sit down long enough to use the potty.

I've tried reading to her, playing with her favorite toys, trying to hold her there, having my son sit on his potty in front of her, and even putting her in front of the tv since she is always fascinated when it is on. I haven't read any books or anything on the subject because I was never really serious about it, but I kinda got used to not changing diapers and it was nice lol.

If I can't get her to sit on the potty or toilet I guess I could always just put her in the bathtub? Is it common for busy toddlers to not want to sit down long enough to go? My son was helping himself to the potty at this age but I think I probably just got lucky with him lol. I'm hoping she'll slow down soon, but even first thing in the morning she's go, go, GO! Any suggestions?

Veg's Dragonflies 10-02-2012 09:39 PM

Re: 13 month old too busy for potty?

Get creative..... make it fun. Make it a compitition between her and your son. Who can pee on the tree first. Yes, little girls can pee on a tree. lol Rewards always work too. :) Good luck!

R055ANA 10-05-2012 11:11 AM

Hi there ohsnap!

I know what you mean about them being to busy to sit on the potty for just one minute. You are doing all the right things with letting her play w/ special toys or whatever may hold her interest long enough to pee.

I agree w/ Veg's Dragonflies about letting her pee outside and being creative (even though you are probably being as creative as can be already). If the bathtub works let her use that. Eventually the novelty of peeing and stopping will wear off and she will be peeing on the potty regularly. Try not to get frustrated because she will pick up on that and it will make things worse.

Best wishes and keep us posted!

mamaspice 10-06-2012 12:16 AM

Try a toilet seat reducer on the big potty so it is harder to get down and... Bubbles! We keep them in the bathroom and my dd loves it!

oldmomma 10-08-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaspice (Post 15776880)
Try a toilet seat reducer on the big potty so it is harder to get down and... Bubbles! We keep them in the bathroom and my dd loves it!

I agree!!