Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   EC for 11 week old?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447885)

tubbymummy 09-27-2012 09:10 AM

EC for 11 week old??

Hi all, my hubby and I really want to try EC, but we are not sure how to begin. We have a 11 week old. And she's a cranky babe! We have been making the psh psh psh sound since birth for her poops in her diaper and we've been thinking of trying to take her diaper off when she makes her poop face and put her on the potty, but she's such a fussy babe and cries so easily. I had tried it once at about 8 weeks and she stopped pooping and started crying and finished when I put her back in her diaper.

As far as pees are concerned, I'm not exactly sure when she pees and since she is not crawling or even sitting right now, I don't really know if bare bum time will work.

So how do I begin?

Addisynsmommy 09-28-2012 12:56 PM

I am also trying to figure out how to begin. I will let you know if I figure anything out (:

strongwoman 09-28-2012 04:32 PM

Re: EC for 11 week old??

Just start with nakie time, observing what your baby does right before going pee/poo after a feeding session. put a waterproof pad under her to catch the pees/poos. Sounds like you are aware of some of her signals, so that's a start! And the fact that your DH is on board is even better! Poops are usually easier to catch at first because babies often grunt. Pees are a lil more challenging. My 8 week old will cry a little or fuss and that's when I know he has to go. Or he will sneeze and go pee right after. If he's really fussy and its been a day and a half since he went poops, then I know a poopy blowout is coming and try to get the potty under him right after a feeding. I also feed him without a diaper on sometimes so that I can quickly get him to the potty if I hear him grunting, but I inevitably get peed or pooped on! Not a big deal since everything is washable :). There are a couple of books you can check out: EC Simplified by Andrea Olson and Diaper Free Baby. EC Simplified also has a Facebook page that you can check out. Some websites for gear: ecwear.com, theecstore.com, continuum-family.com. Hope this helps and that you can maybe find some other EC-ers nearby! Oh, and it really helps to not have so many poopydiaper blowouts which means less diaper washing :)

made4this 09-28-2012 10:56 PM

I second "Diaper Free Baby"! That's all the info I had to start with and it was plenty. We started when DS3 was about 10 weeks and it's been a really fun journey. Not sure if he'll PL any sooner, but it's looking like he will, and it the meantime we have read a lot more books and washed a lot fewer poopy diapers!

We used timing to start, especially for catching pees, usually within a few minutes of nursing. And right when they wake up is another likely time for a catch.

Another benefit we noticed was that sitting on the potty seemed to help him get gas out as well as burps, so here's hoping that will help with the fussies:)

Mom2jandb 09-29-2012 07:35 AM

In the beginning for us, I went by fussing/squirming as well as timing. Also, I put LO on the potty with every diaper change. I recommend getting a top hat potty. The times I forgot to put her on the potty at diaper changes she would get so mad and remind me. Our misses were usually just "warning pees" and she would finish the pee at the diaper change pottytunity. It was a while before we got any good at catching poos because my LO had food intolerances and basically was fecally incontinent. Once I got the food issues under control she led the way by saving her poos for a pottytunity.

I got Diaper Free Baby but wasn't a fan. I would suggest any other book, personally.

BeckyRKF 10-01-2012 12:20 PM

I also have an 11week old, and we've done some EC, made some pee and poo catches. But now the weather has turned cold, and I can't leave her bare-bottomed as it's too cold. How do you dress them for that when they're still so young but it's too cold - hard to get diapers off in time.

Also, when you say on their potty chair - do you have a baby-sized one? I've been holding her over the big one, which doesn't always work. We had better success when I held her over ds's old babybjorn, because it was near me and we could do it anytime, but I have to keep holding her. Is there a baby potty that they can sit on with me supporting her upper body?

Thanks!

made4this 10-01-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyRKF (Post 15755011)
I also have an 11week old, and we've done some EC, made some pee and poo catches. But now the weather has turned cold, and I can't leave her bare-bottomed as it's too cold. How do you dress them for that when they're still so young but it's too cold - hard to get diapers off in time.

Also, when you say on their potty chair - do you have a baby-sized one? I've been holding her over the big one, which doesn't always work. We had better success when I held her over ds's old babybjorn, because it was near me and we could do it anytime, but I have to keep holding her. Is there a baby potty that they can sit on with me supporting her upper body?

Thanks!

Is your Baby Bjorn potty the regular one? We love(d) the BBLP (Baby Bjorn Little Potty). It's smaller and all I had to do was support DS's upper body until he cold do it on his own.

BeckyRKF 10-01-2012 02:48 PM

Not sure, it's the one where the bowl lifts out for dumping.

made4this 10-01-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyRKF (Post 15755769)
Not sure, it's the one where the bowl lifts out for dumping.

Sounds like regular. There's a smaller one. Try amazon or ebay. Or even FSOT for the Baby Bjorn Little Potty. We got ours on ebay 10-11 years ago. At the time, I didn't realize I was buying a small one and was disappointed. lol. How things change. :giggle: It's one piece of molded plastic so there's not much to worry about buying used. Easy to clean and hard to break. We HAVE scratched ours by tapping it on a curb once, but the rough spot wore back down over time.

agbowers832 10-04-2012 11:05 PM

I have a fussy 10 week old and we are just trying to do some naked time each day. It gives us a chance to observe her cues (there aren't many- or else they are VERY subtle) and to pair the psh psh sounds with elimination. We are trying to take a very laid back approach which I think is imprtant. I read a great article (I'll try to find it later) about a woman who just did EC laid back and didn't push it much at all and at 6 months, she just put her baby on the potty and made the sound and it worked. That made me feel better about the fact that I am really not practicing it very much yet. I think once she can hold her head up better and is a little less fussy, the potty part will be better for all of us.