Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Potty Training/Learning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447951)

melilo 09-27-2012 11:40 AM

Potty Training/Learning

I recall a few other mamas talking about getting their LOs on the potty before the new baby comes.

What are some of your plans or strategies?

Anything working/not working for you?

Any veterans want to share some tips/advice?

AFM, right now D isn't very interested, but he will sometimes go pee if you take him and ask him to. Other days he will just pee all over the floor. On rare occasion he will ask to use the potty. We're not pushing it right now, I just give him diaper free time sometimes and see how he does that day. Should probably be doing that more often.

rverrone11 09-27-2012 01:24 PM

We did it a month ago, and DD2 (28 months) is in underwear day and night now. We did a modified 3-day potty training. We had her go naked or wear just a shirt, and stayed home for three days. The first day she didn't pee in the potty at all. But the second day was better and so was the third. We tried to stay home as much as possible for the next week, and we put her in underwear when we went out. We kept her in diapers at nap and night but then she said she wanted to wear undies, and she only had a few accidents and then was fine.

We did it that way because we wanted her to be out of diapers before school started again. She had no desire to use the potty before, but we tried it anyway.

NappyChappy 09-27-2012 01:28 PM

Re: Potty Training/Learning

We are about 95% potty leaned. DS is 2yr 4mo and we started by talking about the potty a lot. Then we had him naked waist down whenever we were home. This started back in May so he was 1 month shy of his 2nd b-day, but we had been talking about the potty since 18 months.

He has done fabulous. Definitely think we will be completely out of diapers by April 1st.

Good Luck!

mibarra 09-27-2012 02:27 PM

DD1 is day trained, she's 3. I wasn't planning on PLing DD2 before the baby comes, because if she didn't really 'get it' I was afraid of backsliding. But she only pees like 3 or 4 times a day, and comes to tell me either right before or right after she poops, so I'm thinking we will try over Christmas break. She'll be 2 on the 29th of December. With DD1, we did lots of naked time, and taking her to the potty every 2 hours. Lots of praise for using the potty. We also didn't make accidents a big 'no-no', just used them to reiterate that we go pee pee in the potty, not our pants. She took about an extra 3 months to train for poop after she was trained for urine.

babyrosie 09-27-2012 03:00 PM

Dd potty learned a few months ago (at 21 months). She was taking her diapers off all the time and jut appeared ready. So we went to naked at home for a couple days and then undies only. She wears diapers at night and nap but otherwise does awesome. Took her a couple weeks to really get it but we just forged ahead.

melilo 09-27-2012 03:46 PM

Sounds like I just need to step it up a little. Maybe over a weekend I can get a lot of pants off time. He's so independent in other ways I bet he would do well if we were more active about helping him do it. It's easy to just do diapers...

canadianbakers 09-27-2012 03:56 PM

Levi is definitely interested in using the potty, and is able to get himself on and off the toilet when his diaper is off. Right now I'm feeling too sick and exhausted, and having a lot of trouble keeping up with the normal laundry and housework (as in, it isn't getting done most of the time), so I don't want the extra work of accidents.
Once I'm feeling better and my energy returns (:crossfingers: for only another week!!) I'm just going to let him go diaperless in the house, he can wear undies if he wants to (we have some here that should fit him), and we'll see how it goes. We're definitely not against using pull ups for outings and nights, rather than keeping switching between undies and diapers (sometimes that has been an issue with the kids, some not).

RunawayBunny 09-27-2012 07:13 PM

I lucked out with DS- he pretty much trained himself at just shy of two. But, I have heard that if kids show signs of being ready that naked and underwear time get the job done!

emkeegan 09-27-2012 08:14 PM

We are in the process. DS is like 99% pee trained and 0% poop trained. I can bring him out in public in underwear & he does great, he wears underwear at naptime, wakes up dry. He even wakes up dry overnight, but always has a big pee 1st thing in the morning. I guess I should just do underwear overnight too, I just need to do it. But he will poop whenever he has to. Doesn't matter if he is wearing a diaper, underwear, nothing... And I can tell he has to go, and ask him if he needs the potty, but he will say no!

Any advice? He is 25 months, healthy and regular. Most of the stuff I find about poop and training has to do with holding it in, which he isn't doing.

UmmKira 09-27-2012 08:33 PM

DD2 was using they potty whenever I would encourage it, but then we went out of town and she really isn't interested anymore. I'm trying to find another window of opportunity to try again. She gets up from the potty right now ask proud like she did something, but doesn't. Also, ajr sometimes says” poop”, but hadn't piped yet and won't poop in the potty. Hmph.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype