Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Thanksgiving yet...? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448031)

NappyChappy 09-27-2012 02:33 PM

Thanksgiving yet...?

I can't help but think about my Thanksgiving menu already (well I am pg). So this is what I have come up with thus far...

Roasted Turkey
Heavenly Ham

Mashed Potatoes and Pan gravy
Roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta
Creamed blue cheese Kale
Green Beans for those who don't eat real veggies :giggle:
Sweet potatoes casserole

Sausage stuffing
Yeast rolls
Cranberry and Orange Sauce

Chocholate Cake
Pumpkin Pie

looking8186 09-28-2012 11:38 AM

Now that is my kind of thanksgiving dinner!!!! That sounds fabulousssss :-) i think its perfectly reasonable to think about thanksgiving already... although I may be pregnant too sooo I'm not the best person to ask!!

angelika13 09-28-2012 01:50 PM

Re: Thanksgiving yet...?

Can I get a link to the blue cheese kale recipe? :)

Hungry Caterpillar 09-28-2012 10:07 PM

:yeahthat:
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelika13 (Post 15743901)
Can I get a link to the blue cheese kale recipe? :)

NappyChappy 09-29-2012 02:18 PM

I don't have a link for the recipe it goes like this...

2 bunches kale cored and chopped
2 tbsp evoo
1tbsl butter
small clove garlic chopped
2 c. heavy cream or half and half
1/3. cu +- blue cheese crumbles
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
s&p to taste

Saute the kale and garlic until kale is tender about 15-20min. Add cream, nutmeg, and s&p reduce by half. Add the cheese, heat until melted and to desired consistency.

I serve a lot of times with yeast rolls and Hoppin' Johns.

Newton 09-30-2012 06:34 PM

Well our Thanksgiving is next weekend, it's early this year! Your menu sounds great and a lot of overlap with my menu which is kind of funny!

Geckmumto3 09-30-2012 06:52 PM

Blue cheese kale sounds delicious!! Might have to try that one!

Our Thanksgiving is next weekend... So, yes we have a menu.

Stuffed Roasted Turkey
Spiral Honey Ham
Roastie potatoes and garlic (possibly mashed potato "funeral potatoes", too)
Broccoli Dish (MIL is bringing)
Sweet potato casserole
Stuffed tomatoes
Green beans
Green salad
Harvard Beets
Sourdough rolls

There will be two bakery pies (DH's uncle is bringing). I will make a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin cheesecake as well.

Possibly I will do a acorn squash soup as a starter. We are doing as much as possible from our own garden, so all of of the vegs are from our own backyard, and the turkey and ham are local.

I wish I could fast forward all the cleaning and house prep that has to happen this week for Thanksgiving dinner and just jump to cooking.

FTingmama 09-30-2012 07:11 PM

Oh that sounds good! I'm gonna try that blue cheese kale recipe. I haven't started on Thanksgiving yet but have been looking up new recipes for the winter.

slimy72 09-30-2012 08:17 PM

We go to a big family gathering where grandma does all the main stuff like meat, potatoes, gravy, stuffing, ect... and everyone else brings a few items to share. My dh, MIL, and SIL all have celiacs. So most of the gluten free cooking for them falls to me since my dh is the most sensitive. And typically they just don't eat stuff that naturally has it in. But last year dh was sulking BIG TIME about how he can't eat all the "good stuff" so I made it my personal mission to give him everything he likes and have it be as good as the "normal" food. It was a huge success, FIL like our gf stuffing better than the regular stuff and he is the most picky person ever about not liking GF stuff. My rolls got devoured by everyone GF and normal folks alike as "so light and fluffy cloud rolls". And the pie they were all eating and commenting on the good crust before we realized they had cut the wrong pies and were accidentally eating the GF pies. I'd call that a success. So for my portion this year I know I will be making GF rolls (MIL will make regular ones dh can't even be around flour like that but she can), GF pies- probably cherry and peach, maybe a pumpkin. Gluten free, sausage and apple stuffing. And possibly a gf pumpkin roll. Haven't decided on that one yet, it will depend on how tired I am from all the other baking.