Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTC - Trying To Conceive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Luteal phase question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448108)

mvp529 09-27-2012 08:37 PM

Luteal phase question

I read so many different things about luteal phase length. What is the shortest that is still healthy and normal? Is it best to just treat it with herbs and such? What do dr's do about this issue if you see them for it?

ChihuahuaMama13 09-27-2012 09:21 PM

Re: Luteal phase question

I want to think 8 days is the shortest "norm". I had talked to my Dr about mine because mine dips down to just 4 days sometimes and she said she would suggest Clomid, but she's not ready to prescribe it :( HTH

geetabean 09-27-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvp529 (Post 15740667)
I read so many different things about luteal phase length. What is the shortest that is still healthy and normal? Is it best to just treat it with herbs and such? What do dr's do about this issue if you see them for it?

I was just reading about lp on ff. This is what it said:

"Luteal Phase (LP): This is the time from ovulation until the end of the cycle. If you conceive, the fertilized egg will implant in your uterine lining roughly 7-10 days into this phase. If there is no conception, the uterine lining will shed (this is your period) and your body will begin to prepare for a new cycle. This phase usually lasts 12-14 days but can last between 10-16 days. The length of this phase is fairly constant from cycle to cycle for the same woman. Progesterone is the hormone that dominates this phase."

So, 10 days would be the shortest time in a "normal" cycle. Are your shorter than that?

geetabean 09-27-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMama13 (Post 15740879)
I want to think 8 days is the shortest "norm". I had talked to my Dr about mine because mine dips down to just 4 days sometimes and she said she would suggest Clomid, but she's not ready to prescribe it :( HTH

Hopefully this isn't too nosy, but why would your Dr. suggest you take clomid, but not be ready to prescribe it? I don't know anything about clomid, but it just seems odd that she would suggest you take it and not prescribe it. :headscratch:

clothdipemama 09-27-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geetabean (Post 15740912)

"Luteal Phase (LP): This is the time from ovulation until the end of the cycle. If you conceive, the fertilized egg will implant in your uterine lining roughly 7-10 days into this phase. If there is no conception, the uterine lining will shed (this is your period) and your body will begin to prepare for a new cycle. This phase usually lasts 12-14 days but can last between 10-16 days. The length of this phase is fairly constant from cycle to cycle for the same woman. Progesterone is the hormone that dominates this phase."

So, 10 days would be the shortest time in a "normal" cycle. Are your shorter than that?

Yes, this is what I've heard too. Ten days is borderline defect. I noticed ever since I've had children, my LP has been on the short side. Usually 10-12 days. I've also heard BF can make you have a short LP phase. I take complex B vitamins and B6 to lengthen my LP phase, and it's seem to have worked in my 3 past pregnancies. I have no experience with prescription drugs.

mvp529 09-27-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geetabean

Thanks for the info an explanation. No mine is not shorter than 10 days. It has always been 14 days but last month 12 days and today I started at 10 days past o. So I'm not sure if Af is coming or I'm preggo but I just wonder if my hormones are really declining and it may just keep getting shorter and shorter.

carlycurry 09-28-2012 07:22 AM

I was just reading about this yesterday in "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and it said the shortest that can be "normal" is 10-11 days, but even then that is sometimes too short of a LP. So I would honestly think you want a minimum of 10 days at the very least.

Kap7270 09-28-2012 08:00 AM

The length of your LP sounds fine, but it should also be consistent in length. Varying from 10 to 14 days could be an indication of low progesterone. If it is just two isolated cycles, I probably wouldn't worry (unless you have other symptoms of low progesterone) but I would get it checked out if the pattern continues.
Ideally, a doctor would treat low progesterone by giving bio-identical progesterone in the LP.

Kap7270 09-28-2012 08:01 AM

l_Kimmie_l 09-28-2012 09:13 AM

It depends on who you speak with. Many doctors say 10 DPO as most viable pregnancies have started implantation by then. THere are many doctors that say 12 DPO as, many PGs begin implanting on 10 DPO and would be viable if the corpus luteum would have survived to support them. I am in the school of 12 DPO as late implantation is always possible and you want to see them through to full term pregnancies if possible.

Treatment can come in many forms. You can try herbal with several herbs and vitamins to see if you can naturally enlongate your LP. Or you can use Progesterone cream or pills to do it for you.