Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   EBF 3.5 month old switching to FF which formula? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448174)

kaylismama 09-27-2012 10:06 PM

EBF 3.5 month old switching to FF which formula?

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer last month when they removed the right side of my thyroid due to a large nodule. Had a 2nd surgery to remove the left side and thought I was headed for a radioactive scan in 2 weeks. Met my oncologist on Tuesday and learned that I had 3 of 5 factors that they use to determine if treatment is necessary. I was supposed to have radioactive treatment today, but it's delayed until next week due to insurance drama! I have to be away from my kids for 5 days due to the fact that I will be radioactive, even worse I can't breast feed for a year! All of my kids have been EBF, so when it comes to formula I'm lost! Wondering if 1 is better than another for this transition? Also any help on how to transition is more than welcomed...Thanks!

I pumped enough for the 2 surgeries and have about 20 oz frozen, but that's not going to last long...do I mix with formula to help transition?

Hi-Dog 09-27-2012 10:21 PM

Re: EBF 3.5 month old switching to FF which formula?

:hugs: Mama!!

I have to FF due to my body just not producing, so I understand having to FF due to circumstances out of your control. My mom had her entire thyroid removed when I was young due to a tumor, so I have some understanding of how life changing that is.

On the formula front, I have found that what's best in terms of formula is what sits best with baby's tummy, so it can be a matter of trial and error. I think babies tend to be more sensitive when they are younger (my baby couldn't handle anything but Gerber Good Start Gentle up until a couple months ago, now at almost 6 months she's fine with anything). We have recently switched to the Costco (Kirkland) brand which is essentially Similac Advanced and so far, so good.

Sometimes you have to "try" a couple brands before you find one baby prefers. When we were switching from BM to formula, the Gerber seemed the best during that transition. Most brands will provide samples and your pediatrician may be able to provide samples and suggestions.

All the best to you with everything and we FFing mamas are here to support you!!

ETA: I have heard mixed opinions on bottles with formula/BM at the same time (some say it "degrades" the BM, I dunno). When I still was pumping and trying to BF I could only pump a few ounces during the day, so sometimes we would drop an ounce in with the formula and it didn't seem to hurt)

LinzTAW 09-28-2012 01:12 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about your cancer. T&P for a speedy recovery.

As far as formula goes, we started with it right away w/ DS b/c of issues I had with pregnancy and delivery. My hospital used Similac and that has always agreed with him. I got a bunch of free Enfamil from my OB and that didn't work so well for him, gave him diarrhea. He did fine on the En***row toddler formula he's had 2x though, so I think his stomach is more mature now to handle different kinds.
GL finding something that works for your baby.

kushie tushie 09-28-2012 02:14 AM

No advice as both mine were EBF as well but wanted to send many :hugs: and prays!

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

mms1972 09-28-2012 11:54 AM

So sorry u are going thru this mama! For formula it is really trial and error unfortunately! We are lucky and have the best luck with the generics...we use Sam's club Complete ...when she was younger we used the sam's gentle with no issues. All the generics are made by the same company and we switch between sams, Target, walmart with no issues. Its basically the sam as the big brands just about half the price!

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum

clnapoli 09-28-2012 01:48 PM

when we switched my first son from ebf to formula, i had to mix the formula with breastmilk for a little while to get him to eat it (he was about 5 months), he was so used to the taste of formula. honestly, it was a struggle getting him to take the formula. in reality it probably only took a few days of trying different kinds, but he ended up fine:)

my 4 month old is now on gerber soy, after trying 4 other kinds of formula that haven't agreed with him. it has been extremely frustrating trying to find what's best for him, but i know that some babies have no trouble at all!

good luck with everything mama:)

kaylismama 09-29-2012 08:24 AM

Thanks for al of the suggestions, support and t&p, I really appreciate it! I am going to be trying a few formulas it sounds like! :giggle:

Diego&Amelia'sMom 10-02-2012 10:06 PM

get well soon mama!

The Green Avacado 10-02-2012 11:25 PM

I wanted to just see if you have tried donar milk by chance? Like Eats on Feets, or Human Milk for Human Babies? I know HM4HB has locations in every single state with donating mamas, that can donate breast milk to you.

Not trying to talk you out of formula or anything, I just know a lot of people don't know that HM4HB and Eats on Feets even exist. :)

stephy2241 10-07-2012 11:18 PM

similac sensitive was the best for us!! :)