Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Question about switching from formula to "toddler formula" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448191)

crockpot 09-27-2012 10:53 PM

Question about switching from formula to "toddler formula"

Hello I have a premmie and we are on wic and he just turned a year and they are putting us on "toddler formula" has anyone tried it and had any problems? I never used it with my daughter and we had so many problems with him and formula in the beginning that I am a little worried about switching him now.

LinzTAW 09-28-2012 01:08 AM

Re: Question about switching from formula to "toddler formula"

Since he is a year old he really can transition to regular whole cow's milk. My understanding is that the toddler formula is mostly just a marketing ploy so the companies can make more money.
We got some free samples of the En***row kind and I gave it to my 10 month old last week (it's for 9 months +). He only had 2 bottles worth but he didn't have any adverse reactions to it.
I would talk with your pedi to see if they think the toddler formula is recommended for your son, I know you get it through WIC but I'm pretty sure you can get regular cow's milk through the program too.

crockpot 09-28-2012 03:31 AM

Yes you can get regular cows milk through them I am not trying to start him on it just yet as he really doesn't turn 1 until Dec. He hasn't had any dairy allergies to the very little milk products he has had but I am so afraid of chancing him having a bad reaction

anne_josh 09-30-2012 04:09 AM

Is it the same brand as the infant formula? If so, they're usually quite similar. I wouldn't worry about it. Whole milk is fine for 1+ years, but the toddler formula does have iron and DHA and some vitamins that whole milk doesn't. We started using it (and adding poly-vi-sol) when we found out ds was low on iron. He still nurses (for comfort mainly I think) at bedtime and he eats table food, but he loves his sippies of formula.. and I feel good knowing he gets that extra nutrition on days when all he'll eat is four blueberries and a yogurt :P He's generally a really good eater, but once in a while he gets off his feed. Anyway, most toddler formulas are for 9m+ so I think you're fine ;)

SPJ&E 09-30-2012 12:45 PM

He should be fine as long as it's the same brand. If not (or if he doesn't do well on it), you can ask his doctor to write a prescription (most peds will have the form WIC needs) for the infant formula and WIC will continue to provide that. If his weight is in the normal range and his doctor thinks regular milk would be fine, I see nothing wrong with that either. Since he is a preemie, I would definitely discuss it with the doctor and go from there.

My 1 year old can't do cow's milk (he couldn't even handle Nutramigen) and his doctor wants us to avoid soy for now as well. So his doctor filled out the new form so he can be on Neocate until at least 18 months (at which time we'll re-evaluate). It does give me peace of mind that he is getting the extra nutrition from formula. He is generally a good eater, but he also has celiac. We are working hard to expand our menu, but dairy free AND gluten free is a pain, lol!

Bubbasmom 01-04-2013 10:44 PM

Switch to cow's milk, since he is 1 year old.