Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Can we talk diapers again.....puleasssee,I need help *progress report post 37* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448382)

2+2macht4 09-28-2012 03:08 PM

Can we talk diapers again.....puleasssee,I need help *progress report post 37*

My life is becoming over run again I need to get back on the badwagon, I have cleared out a lot but hit a plateu. Diapers.

Is someone willing to hold my hand and help me work through this and make decisions. I am having a hard time and feeling really down about it. I can post a list of what I have, whats coming, yes I ordered more shame shame shame, and what I think I still need that last parts itty bitty.

It would mean a lot to me inserts bashy eyelashes here.

My issue is overpreparing for 2 kids, I know my son, I am terrified of 2 in cloth and being under prepaired.

************************************************** **********************************
About us:
DS is going to turn 2 in december not showing any signs of being ready to potty learn he gets about 6 wet diapers a day, but he has gut issues and days where he may poop up to 5 times, normally that overlaps with the wets some but requires extra on hand.

Newbie due end of the month. I am not so worried about newborn diapers, but rather when they overlap in os.

The beast that is to be concured with notes:Pocket diapers:
Mediums: 10
larges: 11

Notes on pockets: the larges can go on my son but are big, he is currently 22 pounds they start to fit at 25, so it would overlap for 5 pounds with os, but do I need them? Now his mediums which fit him perfect and all my OS will fit to 30 pounds. He is a petite little man he just started wearing size 18 months, its pretty unlikely he will ever need a diaper bigger then one size right? Lets say I get rid of larges I have 10 just for him plus 36 that fit both boys. Total 46 diapers for 2 kids in pockets.

Covers and prefolds my safety net.I keep these for if I run out of diapers and I never do. ...
Covers:
5 os
1 medium (its cute geny has skulls I really like it want it to stay)
1 duo size 2 (again owls I want him to stay)

Prefolds:
26 regular- my logic 2 overlapping in the same size...irrational, one dozen is tie dye I like those most

Related: I use fitteds at night. I am happy with the numbers 6 os, 2 size 2, and 6 daytime only worthy for rash times for 2 kids, but I need to consider covers for those. So 8 night time for 2 kids and 6 day time for ds with skin issues.

notes:
My thoughts- Get rid of one dozen regular prefolds as well? I am thinking 5 os with the 2 sizes for 7 total is ok for 2 kids. Seems less but rarelly used and I want to limit bringing in more, if its strongly felt I should have more Ihave a duo in my for sale pile I could pull back and have 8 for 2 kids.

For reference if anyone wants to comment on the newbie diapers I have:
18 alva newborn pockets
5 fitteds
12 preemie prefolds
12 newborn
12 infant
2 xs, 2 sm and 2 duo 1 covers.

should I keep all that for the newbie phase?

Joluru 09-28-2012 03:25 PM

Re: Can we talk diapers again.....puleasssee,I need help

I have one in cloth, my last baby, and I have toooo many diapers. I bought one system (Flips and prefolds.) Then when DD was tiny, I bought a whole new system (Best Bottom) but sadly I don't love them on my chubby gal and I sunk too much money into them. I feel diaper regret. And I know I'm going to lose money on them.

I also have all the things she's outgrown, ready to sell but not quite mentally ready to let go of my tiny newborn fluff, knowing I won't use it again. *sad*

I really need to get my butt in gear and just sell it already. I'll help you if you'll help me!

ETA -

I have:
12 Flips
4 assorted covers (BSWW mediums, two WAHM)
about 40 infant prefolds (I trifold to stuff the covers, but they don't fit around)
about 40 premium prefolds (fit around an can be snappied, but don't fit to stuff the covers)

I put her in trifolded stuffed covers 99% of the time. She's in disposables overnight (nothing else seems to work without her getting a rash from being wet too long.)

I could easily get by with just the infant prefolds stuffed into the covers, probably until she potty trains, but I am nervous to let go of the ones that fit around - even though I hardly ever actually put them on her!

I also have 12 Best Bottoms covers, and will sell this whole system once I group it all together (there might be a few more floating around.)
28 medium inserts (now outgrown)
5 medium overnights
24 large hemp inserts (give DD a rash :( )
4 large overnights

All the newborn and small stuff that's outgrown - TONS! AIOs, pockets, covers, fitteds, things I had for DD4 and never used for baby, so.much.stuff. I don't even need to list it, I just need the gumption to sell it.

2+2macht4 09-28-2012 03:34 PM

make a list of what you have and post I am more then happy to help. We can support each other :D

Just edit it into your post so it does not get lost in comments.

2+2macht4 09-28-2012 03:59 PM

I added mine in op

sweetest 09-28-2012 04:46 PM

I'm struggling with what to keep too, but it's so much easier to help someone else decide what to do with their stash so here is what I would do...

Get rid of the large pockets now.

Keep the medium pockets until older DS is out of diapers... 36 pockets will be fine once you only have one in diapers

Get rid of all but one dozen regular Prefolds (keep the tie-dye ones you love!)

Keep all the preemie/nb/infant prefolds until your lo is too big for them.

Keep all the fitted dipes - I have 9 for coverless time for one baby and I wouldn't want less! (we don't even use them at night)

Keep all the little covers until your baby fits the os then get rid of everything but OS and the two that you love - I really don't think you need the extra duo 2...

I would also get two more NB covers (sorry... I know you are trying to get rid of things!)

2+2macht4 09-28-2012 04:49 PM

Yeah I didnt realize how few newborn diaprs I had they were being eaten by the pockets :P

Better to know now I can get some fsot and have my mom bring them.I just sold some last month darn. lol

2+2macht4 09-28-2012 05:01 PM

I need to get another pail liner, right now I have to stack dirty diapers when my liner is drying. I was debating hanging wetbags as well, but seems like just more stuff in the end when it can do direct in the pail.

Inserts are a whole other deamon I do not even know where to begin. Otherwise accessory wise I do not have a lot

TypeAMom 09-28-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joluru (Post 15744349)
I also have all the things she's outgrown, ready to sell but not quite mentally ready to let go of my tiny newborn fluff, knowing I won't use it again. *sad

I felt the same, but felt better when I decided to keep a few for DD to use on her dolls and sold the rest.

Melinda29 09-28-2012 08:21 PM

Are you really truly shooting for minimalism and keeping only what you really need? If so, then.....

I would cancel your order for the new OS dipes (because I am cheap like that) and stick with your 44 current pockets. Assume that you will mostly use mediums on your toddler but use the larges when you run out of mediums, they will work in a pinch. I would also sell all the prefolds and all but 4 fitteds for nights/rashy days. It will be a long time before the new baby will need nighttime diapers and you can re-assess then.

If you don't like that idea, then sell the medium and large pockets and 14 of the regular prefolds. Keep the 36 OS pockets and 12 tie dyed prefolds if they are important, that will make you feel better about my drastic cuts :).

I would also sell your infant prefolds. By the time your newbie can wear those easily, he will fit in the OS dipes.

I have CD 2 kids multiple times. IME the right numbers are 48 TOTAL OS dipes for 2 kids. I wash twice a week--in the beginning, three times a week. By the time the newbie is in OS dipes, they are going through fewer dipes a day, possibly STTN (so only 1 night diaper), and the toddler will be using only a handful of diapers a day and maybe even daytime trained.

I like to have 36 newborn/small and 24 medium/large/OS for 1 child, but you don't need to quite double that for 2 kids. Because you run out of pail space before you use them all up.

clothlover8 09-28-2012 10:19 PM

I have 4 in diapers, 2 at night, 2 fulltime.

I struggle with getting rid of any.

If you never use the prefolds and covers they are only backups maybe get rid of a dozen prefolds - you probably wont miss them since you never use them.

I would cancel some or all of your new order for pockets. Seems like a lot of pockets. I am weird and would prefer to keep larges over mediums too - I found larges usually fit they just needed tight snapping and were a bit puffy butt but I know I will get longer out of them than the mediums.

ETA something I have considered doing is bagging some up putting in the cupboard and if I dont use them in the next 6 months then I will sell them, I made the mistake of selling my whole stash not long ago and regretted it so badly. Hasn't taken me long to build it up again though lol

I wouldn't get rid of any of the newbie stuff til it's outgrown. Agree with pp maybe another cover.

Now how am I going to convince myself to get rid of any.......