Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newborn wont suck! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448466)

EuphoricDysphoria 09-28-2012 07:28 PM

Newborn wont suck!

Please help.

My newborn won't suck for longer than 2-3 sucks then pulls herself off or her suck goes soft. She was born 4 weeks early but massive at 7lbs, 8oz so they didn't consider her preemie. I did have to supplement in hospital with a bottle for the first 2.5 days to get her glucose levels up. Now I pump and give her what I pump through a syringe and my finger.

Sometimes she will latch fine, other times she flips out and won't take it.

I'm so frustrated and just want to nurse my baby!

songbird516 09-28-2012 08:11 PM

Re: Newborn wont suck!

It might very well have to do with the early bottle supplementation. It's so much easier to get milk from a bottle...I've seen several babies who just don't want to suck/breastfeed after getting used to a bottle. I would think the best thing might be to try a SNS so that she's still getting the gratification but having to suck at the breast..but I'm not a IBCLC.
I'm sorry you're getting off to a rough start; it's still so early so try to relax and make sure that you're pumping enough to keep your supply up.

palsmama 09-28-2012 08:21 PM

Get hooked up with an IBCLC. Just because she wasn't a premie in size she was still near term! They can have lots of feeding issues. You really should be using an SNS !! Get help. It may take a bit to transition to the breast because she is used to the flow of a bottle.

EuphoricDysphoria 09-29-2012 09:27 AM

Thanks ladies! I have the help of my midwife through all this but I will check the other out.

I've tried SNS once and she remained lazy in the mouth so she mostly let it leak out.

Yesterday she took the breast for only 1 minute. Can someone be brutally honest and let me know if nursing will even be possible? I have HUGE supply issues and my milk hasn't even come in yet (5 days post partum) but I have enough colostrum. Ugh. I don't know.

vmomma 09-29-2012 09:38 AM

Absolutely! It's quite possible that her feeding has been disrupted by an early birth. Sometimes 1-2 weeks can make a huge difference in maturity. My 25 weeker learned to breastfeed, after 6 months of a weak suck, and bottle feeding. I would definitely pump if your not already doing that. Give her some time, and she hopefully she gets stronger everyday! Good luck!

snoggle 09-29-2012 01:33 PM

Get the book - Breastfeeding Made Simple: The Seven Natural Laws. You can get the Kindle version if you have a Kindle. A friend of mine breastfeed her twins (who were 1 month early) using this book. I've not started BF yet (baby is due in December), but I'm a nurse practitioner and this book is the best I've seen. Yes, it is possible - keep trying! It will get better!

palsmama 09-29-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuphoricDysphoria (Post 15746947)
Thanks ladies! I have the help of my midwife through all this but I will check the other out.

I've tried SNS once and she remained lazy in the mouth so she mostly let it leak out.

Yesterday she took the breast for only 1 minute. Can someone be brutally honest and let me know if nursing will even be possible? I have HUGE supply issues and my milk hasn't even come in yet (5 days post partum) but I have enough colostrum. Ugh. I don't know.

Yes you can nurse. BUT some she is not stimulating your breast correctly you need to pump!! Get a hospital grade pump and pump day and night. Find an IBCLC stat:) I would try the SNS again and do lots of skin to skin. Don't skip night feeding

momof3boys1girl 09-29-2012 09:44 PM

def pump when not nursing so you dont loose what milk you have. Has she been checked for any tongue ties?

EuphoricDysphoria 09-30-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3boys1girl
def pump when not nursing so you dont loose what milk you have. Has she been checked for any tongue ties?

Yes, she has no issue there. However tonight we are in the hospital because she has jaundice. I wonder if that has something to do with it....

I tried SNS today with the midwife and it was horrible. She would just gulp down the BM instead of sucking.

Because I have IGT my midwife suggested working on getting my milk supply up (if possible) before teaching her to latch/suck. I pump every 2.5-3 hours for 15-20 minutes including at night.

snoggle 10-02-2012 06:27 AM

She's jaundiced cause of not feeding well. Pump and give VERY frequent feedings.