Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due in March (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Names (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448649)

Mom2lucy 09-29-2012 12:57 PM

How do you feel about naming a child something but calling him something else. Sort of like a nickname?
My husband wants to name our son a Czech name and I want to use the English version of the name. His legal name may end up being Johan Henrick. And we would call him either Jack or Henry. Johan is his great grandfathers name. Henry is a family name on my side.
I'm worried this would cause problems for him.
Does anyone have a similar situation? Thoughts?

Christylkeller 09-29-2012 01:22 PM

Re: Names

I think it would be fine! And he would have an interesting story to share when he is older.

hcokasil 09-29-2012 02:59 PM

honestly, i think it's silly. i have a friend who did that. They call their little boy by a shortened version of his middle name. It's a super cute name, and now she'll say she doesn't understand why they didn't just make that his first name. The boy (he's three) will admently tell you his real first name is not his name. His sister's call him that to tease him... and they always have to call his name a million times at official places, like doctor's offices (though they don't really do doctor's offices too much) because no one in the family is really used to hearing his legal name. i don't think it'll really cause problems and i don't think there's anything wrong with it at all, i just think it's silly.

twinpossible 09-29-2012 05:02 PM

I personally wouldn't do it. I had two first names, one my mom liked and one my dad liked. I was called one when I was with her and the other when I was with him. As a kid I was annoyed. Teachers never knew what to do with all my names (I also had a long middle name that is often mistaken for two names and two last names) When I got married I shortened my name down to three names. It's not really the same issue but I could see how it might be an issue for him.

Mom2lucy 09-29-2012 05:21 PM

Sorry if my post was confusing.
We would pick one (jack or Henry) and stick with it. Henrick will always be middle. But no matter what,my husband speaks Czech to the kids, including our 4 year old, and uses their Czech name at home and English name in public. So if we picked jack, we would call him jack in public and hubby would call him Johan at home. Even if we name him Fred or something hubby would call him by the Czech version of Fred. It's like that with all the kids and they all know Czech and it's not confusing for them. With Lucy, her legal name is Lucy, but he calls her Lucia. So no legal problems there. With it being opposite with the boy, I worry that would cause problems for him on tests, drivers licenses, etc.
Kwim? I hope that makes sense. I don't want him to have problems. I guess in my head I think it's more akin to calling a William, Bill. But maybe that's not how it's sounding?

miraclebaby 09-29-2012 05:29 PM

I woudln't do it either. My husband's father's name is William Gregory and they always called him greg. It was confusing to him his whole life and is still confusing.
i love jack or henry though.

TS8213 09-29-2012 05:35 PM

If it's similar to William being called Bill, which it sounds like it is, then I wouldn't worry about it. When he's old enough to do all the legal paperwork stuff, he'll know his real (legal) name.

To me, Jack is just a nickname for Johan. The same as Henry would be for Henrik.

Eta: not sure if you do public school or not, but most forms have a legal name field and then the field that asks what child would like to be called.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum

twinpossible 09-29-2012 05:43 PM

That make more sense. So it is just a nickname, in that case I think it's fine. It might be a little confusing for him when he first starts school but like the pp most schools have a "preferred name" box that you can fill in.

waterisntsomething 09-29-2012 05:49 PM

I think its fine. DS is Charles but we call him Charlie. He is such a Charlie too. His dad is a Charles and his grandad is technically Charles but goes by Chuck.

joeslittlewoman 09-29-2012 07:11 PM

I think it will be fine if you both like it. My ds2 goes by his 2nd name. He knows his full name, as well, but always goes by the middle name. People shorten for nicknames all the time, too. I was always more afraid of someone shortening my ods' name to something I didn't like, like Joey.