Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Favorite Minimalist Products? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448679)

lalaith 09-29-2012 03:09 PM

Favorite Minimalist Products?

It seems like a contradiction in terms, I know. :lostit:

But I've been going through our belongings, tossing the junk and trying to replace it with things that will last, are light and portable, and can be used for multiple purposes.

For example, instead of huge bags of disposable pads and tampons, I have my menstrual cup and a few cloth liners. Takes up much less room, better quality, more comfortable, and better for the environment.

I used to be unable to leave the house without my phone, mp3 player (I get panic attacks, music helps me breath), a note pad with grocery and to do lists, and a paperback book to read. My iphone replaces all of these things, as well as being a camera and having internet activity, so I can leave my laptop at home unless we'll be somewhere more than a few days.

I'd love to get such things as one of the portable high chairs that clips onto a table, and I am soooo in love with this:

http://www.cherryterrace.co.jp/engli..._bowls_en.html

kitchen set. I only wish it weren't over $200!:cry:

What do you have/use/want in your minimalist journey?

2+2macht4 09-29-2012 03:27 PM

Re: Favorite Minimalist Products?

I cannot see anything with a price or where to order them

elizabeth.scalf 09-29-2012 05:13 PM

That kitchen set looks really neat for someone who would use it. I would prefer to have a set of 2 or 3 stainless steel bowls, and use saran wrap if I needed it on top, a colander, and a few Pyrex bowls. I don't use strainers hardly ever, or salad spinners, or the dozen other pieces that were all in that set, so realiistically I wouldn't get it but it does look cool!

I'll try to think of other useful products!

lalaith 09-29-2012 08:04 PM

Just thought of another: I'd love to have microfiber cleaning cloths that work. I have some, but they don't seem to do much more than regular cloth rags.

Melinda29 09-29-2012 09:04 PM

Those clip on high chairs are actually not great. They have to hook so close to the table to stay tight that it makes it really difficult to get a baby in, especially if they have long or fat legs. My ds could not be squeezed in after 10 months.

Like you, I LOVE multifunctional stuff. These booster seats are awesome possum!
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-H.../dp/B0000DEW8N. We have three. We used them from the time our kids start solids at six months until age five (we had four kids in six years, that's why we needed three). They are adjustable in height, strap tightly to a chair so they don't eat up kitchen space like a high chair, the tray is dishwasher safe, and they are so easy to travel with.

lalaith 09-30-2012 04:05 PM

Aww, shame about the clip on chairs! The booster seat wouldn't work for us, we dont have any extra chairs at our table.

NoMoreJunk 09-30-2012 06:06 PM

How are you washing your microfiber cloths? If you're using fabric softener or dryer sheets, they'll be less effective. I always wash mine with my towels. I use detergent and vinegar (instead of fabric softener) in the washer and nothing in the dryer. It seems to help them.

elizabeth.scalf 10-01-2012 07:18 AM

I ended up ditching the microfiber towels after a few years too. Even washing them the same way I do diapers, they just stopped being super absorbent.

The only thing I've bought in bulk since starting my minimlalist mission is storage tubs lol! I do plan on getting a closet system. Fortunately, we have a large home and hadn't really filled it with lots of stuff, just lots of junk, so getting rid of the junk has left it fairly minimalized. The rest of it, I've just needed to organize a little better, but we aren't lacking for storage space. I haven't had to buy a lot of products to replace ones we already had.

elizabeth.scalf 10-01-2012 07:18 AM

DP

clothlover8 10-01-2012 03:51 PM

I would love a booster seat for 2 yr old ds - so we can get rid of one highchair. Ds (11 months) is in one and having 2 highchairs takes up a lot of space. I have been eyeing off a steam mop and a stick vacuum for ease of cleaning (not sure if they'll just be another thing to move around though).
The best microfiber cloths I have found for cleaning are diaper ones, they are so much thicker and the little lines in them are deeper. I bought a few new just for this purpose.

I am really struggling atm with how to balance minimalism and easyness (is that a word) with reuseable environmental products. I find a lot of the products that would really make my life easier and more simple are disposable or chemical type things, which I cant afford really and don't want to use.