Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone own a Ninja Kitchen System? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448734)

bfuzzy2 09-29-2012 06:42 PM

Anyone own a Ninja Kitchen System?

I have a food processor which is a hand me down that is broke but you can still use it. I have a blender that is old, broke but still works, that has a hard time producing a decent smoothie. So I know a Vitamix would replace both of these items, but who I am kidding I will never be able to afford one :giggle: I was looking into the Ninja kitchen systems that seem a little more in my budget. I have some store credit to bed, bath, & beyond plus maybe I could score a 20% off coupon :thumbsup:

Anyone here on DS have one or used one and if so what are the pros/cons? I am looking to make smoothies, salsa, dips, and pie crust dough.

Thanks
Kelly

mel j 09-29-2012 10:19 PM

Re: Anyone own a Ninja Kitchen System?

We've had it for a few months and I'm not sure how long it will actually last. It's decent and we've used it quite a bit, and even more now that our food processor broke completely (it was also broken for awhile but we could still use it, but it's completely broken now.) I'm sure we'd much prefer a Vitamix, but it's not in our budget either. I've used it quite a bit to make smoothies, slushies, banana "ice cream", avocado chocolate pudding (yum!), mashed potatoes (they come out REALLY creamy - more creamy than we'd like actually, but our little ones love them that way), whipped sweet potatoes (yum), butternut squash soup, homemade larabars, homemade peanut butter, cauliflower "rice", homemade coconut milk, etc.

The food processor "bowl" doesn't seem all that different than the blender to me. It seems like the only real difference is that it's smaller. We've used them to chop up nuts like walnuts and to grind up sunflower seeds into a "flour". I've tried to do coconut butter and almond butter in them - but they didn't seem to work for those. I did manage to make sunflower seed butter, but it took a long time. I haven't tried the dough attachments a lot b/c I don't make much bread, but I did try to make pizza dough recently and the dough came out very soft, however, it didn't rise - my husband thought there was a problem with the recipe instructions in the book, though, b/c normally the bread recipes say to let the yeast sit in water for a few minutes... the recipe said to just throw everything together. I use it to chop up onions and lettuce sometimes but it doesn't shred them as fine as I'd like- the other food processor we had did a better job when it worked. It works very well for chopping up cauliflower into "rice" though. Well, hope this helps!

CMamma 09-30-2012 09:12 AM

I have a ninja. Has a large pitcher like a blender & a smaller one that is a FP bowl. Comes with a couple blades & a whipping thing too. I love it. I use it at least once a day. You can do everything from soups, smoothies, dough & I use it for making nut butters too. One of the best investments for my kitchen.

PurduePharmGirl 09-30-2012 11:18 AM

DH and I burned up three blenders in two years. I bought the ninja hoping to get a year out of it and after two years and still going strong! Loooove it for smoothies and it's great in general (guacamole, chopping nuts, creaming butter &sugar, etc), way more useful than my burned up blenders ever were! =)

mel j 09-30-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMamma (Post 15750222)
I have a ninja. Has a large pitcher like a blender & a smaller one that is a FP bowl. Comes with a couple blades & a whipping thing too. I love it. I use it at least once a day. You can do everything from soups, smoothies, dough & I use it for making nut butters too. One of the best investments for my kitchen.

What nut butters do you make and how? I have only been successful with peanut butter and sunflower seed butter (though it took a very very long time), but have had no success with coconut butter or almond butter.

CMamma 10-01-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mel j (Post 15751943)
What nut butters do you make and how? I have only been successful with peanut butter and sunflower seed butter (though it took a very very long time), but have had no success with coconut butter or almond butter.

I have a tutorial in my siggy for making almond butter (I am JUST starting to get this blog going so that's actually all that is there right now lol) but maybe that will help. Nut butters do take a longer time than most things, but in less than 15 minutues I make nut butter in the Ninja blender. I have a Champion juicer that does butters (not just juices) as well as a Norwalk. I prefer doing the butters in the blender (though I think DH prefers the Norwalk). Give it a try & let me know how it turns out for you (& if the tutorial was helpful/confusing). :)

How have you tried your coconut butter? I just use shredded coconut in the blender/FP & it takes maybe 5-10 mins depending on how shredded the coconut already is. I buy shredded coconut in bulk & use it to make butter, milk, yogurt, keifer, frosting, cheese... :)

mrseum 10-01-2012 08:33 PM

We. We're looking at a vitamix & decided on a Ninja from Costco. (FYI they sell them at Walmart now too- for cheaper! But I think it's only 1 blender, not the smaller pitcher?)
Anyways, we mainly use ours for smoothies & bean brownies. I've also made coconut butter out of shredded unsweetened coconut & a few spoonfuls of coconut oil. We haven't used the smaller bowl... U should get it out for the batters. The blender definately has to work some to process the beans & coconut, the coconut took probably 10 mind with me stopping to scrape the sides down frequently. But overall I'm satisfied with it!

bfuzzy2 10-02-2012 07:45 PM

Thank you for all the input! I did see it at Costco today and told DH. Maybe they might have one of their coupons for it around the holiday

MissyMia 10-05-2012 02:15 PM

I just got one from Kohls with a 30% off coupon. So far I have made smoothies, peanut butter, and hummus. I haven't really read the instructions yet to see how I would do anything else. Makes great smoothies, which is what I use it for most of the time. My old blender wasn't able to work with ice for some reason.