Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   12 hour release (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448742)

Minniebees 09-29-2012 08:05 PM

12 hour release

I guess there are guidelines for a 12 hour release from the hospital now. I remember when they started the 24 hour, and I took full advantage with my last 2. :giggle: but now they have the 12 hour. Has anyone gone home after 12 hours?

If you did the 12 hour release how did it go for you? Would you do it again?

leyash 09-29-2012 08:07 PM

Re: 12 hour release

Honestly, my husband has to work even after the baby is born (I'm still newly pregnant, at the moment). So, I'd REALLY like to take advantage of being in the hospital for 2-3 days, allowing bonding time with baby. I have three kiddos at home already, and I feel like alone time with the new baby is important. I know it sounds crazy, and I HATE hospitals... but that 24-36 hours after birth is important to be to be alone with baby. I did it with all of my kiddos (stayed for 36 to 48ish hours), and I will do it for this one as well.

kushie tushie 09-29-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minniebees
I guess there are guidelines for a 12 hour release from the hospital now. I remember when they started the 24 hour, and I took full advantage with my last 2. :giggle: but now they have the 12 hour. Has anyone gone home after 12 hours?

If you did the 12 hour release how did it go for you? Would you do it again?

I was home with in 7 hours of having DD. She was born at a birth center attached to a hospital. The ped checked her, my midwife checked me, we signed some stuff and off we went. It was perfect for us. Everyone was fine and I was happy to be home! I will be doing the same this time around.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

rosefall 09-29-2012 08:22 PM

I deliver at an in-hospital birthing center, the center and my OB/midwives will do as little at 6 hours, unfortunately, our pedi requires a 24 hour stay, and I haven't found that one detail worth finding a new pedi over. With DS, I stayed 48 hours and was happy to have the help learning new baby things, with DD I was ready to leave by 12, but was there about 26 by the time we got the discharge papers from everyone.

keen1981 09-29-2012 08:24 PM

I went home 4 hours after my
Ds2 was born!!!! I wanted to see my
Other baby and shower in my own shower! Plus I hate not being able to sleep!!!

JulieBeth 09-29-2012 08:25 PM

I would have loved to go home after 12 hours! I thought it was awesome that we got to do the 24 hour release, I am used to 2 days or more. I hated being in the hospital, so much more exhausting than being home!

jenbengtson 09-29-2012 09:00 PM

i enjoy my time, and my kids never get cleared....darn jaundice

shortcake2386 09-29-2012 09:06 PM

we were home less than 24 hours after youngest dd. i wish we'd stayed the full 2 days but dh had to work and there was no one to watch the other 3. i also wonder if we'd stayed longer if they would have caught her sucking issues. :( if you can stay. relax and bond. you can ask them not to bother you un-necessarily.

huntressxx 09-29-2012 10:16 PM

I was home 3 hours after having baby from hospital birth with a midwife. Loved it. Didn't have to be away from my 2 year old son and got lots of cuddles in my bed away from an awful hospital. Best experience ever. My first birth resulted In 2 week stay.

Sent from my iPhone 5 that cannot see what I'm writing on this forum...

Minniebees 09-30-2012 12:13 PM

I'm having a regular hospital birth with an OB. I am never doing the midwife thing again, that was obviously not for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash (Post 15748733)
Honestly, my husband has to work even after the baby is born (I'm still newly pregnant, at the moment). So, I'd REALLY like to take advantage of being in the hospital for 2-3 days, allowing bonding time with baby. I have three kiddos at home already, and I feel like alone time with the new baby is important. I know it sounds crazy, and I HATE hospitals... but that 24-36 hours after birth is important to be to be alone with baby. I did it with all of my kiddos (stayed for 36 to 48ish hours), and I will do it for this one as well.

My dh has had to work when I was in labor, or shortly after as well. Well, except for the last one, but they sent him to Afghanistan for over a year, so same difference. This time, he is actually entitled to paternity leave! Although he told me he isn't going to take it because they are short staffed. He's just going to skip morning report and only do call nights. Oh well.

I had to stay for 48 hours with #1 because she was premature, and it was not fun. I am a very picky sleeper, and I just cannot sleep in the hospital. But I'm glad you shared your wishes, too. :) Everyone is different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbengtson (Post 15748923)
i enjoy my time, and my kids never get cleared....darn jaundice

Your kids have jaundice before 24 hours? Wow! Mine get it pretty bad, but it usually shows up at day 2 or 3 of life, and not before 24 hours. At least, so far, I have a positive antibody, and if it is affecting the baby, then no 12 hour release for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386 (Post 15748939)
we were home less than 24 hours after youngest dd. i wish we'd stayed the full 2 days but dh had to work and there was no one to watch the other 3. i also wonder if we'd stayed longer if they would have caught her sucking issues. :( if you can stay. relax and bond. you can ask them not to bother you un-necessarily.

Am I the only one who just can't relax in the hospital? I have to sleep a very particular way because I have insomnia, so I don't sleep at all while I'm there. the beds aren't comfortable, the nurses come in overnight to check your BP and on the baby, and once I get woken up I cannot go back to sleep again. And I miss my family. :( My sister really enjoyed the quiet and felt it was relaxing, so I guess I'm the odd ball.

My main concerns are how the baby is going to do, which is really dumb because of anyone can spot a newborn in distress it's dh. But that just seems so little to be away from a NICU, KWIM? And I worry about the car ride, since newborn are still transitioning at 12 hours old, that being in a car seat for 45 mins to an hour (we don't live close to the hospital) can't be good, either. Dh says its fine, and I know he wouldn't suggest anything that would put his kid in any kind of jeopardy, so I'm probably just being a nervous nelly. :)