Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What no one tells you about breastfeeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448775)

sewmany 09-29-2012 09:10 PM

What no one tells you about breastfeeding

I'm thinking about BF my next baby and I was just wondering about it. I want the good and bad please :)

starbeam 09-29-2012 09:44 PM

Re: What no one tells you about breastfeeding

all good, no bad. okay, not completely true...but the good SO HUGELY outweigh the bad, it's practically true.

bad: sore nipples for the first couple of months, it's difficult to get into a rythm for the first 6 weeks about

good: it's easier, especially at night: no bottles to sanitize, infinitely more portable, etc, it comforts your baby when nothing else can (including a bottle...nothing like being snuggled up to mom's boobies), it's so emotionally satisfying, it's healthier than anything for your baby, it's WAY cheaper than formula...what else? i'm sure i'm forgetting so so much.

qsefthuko 09-29-2012 09:52 PM

It's okay to feed baby at the restaurant table instead of the bathroom.

Feeding bottles can cause supply issues.

No matter how natural breastfeeding is there is still a learning curve for both mother and baby.

OB nurses in general know little to nothing about breastfeeding. They just don't know how little they really know.

Doctors often seem to know even less.

A good lactation consultant can do wonders to help.

Look for La Leche League. Knowing other nursing moms can make you feel less alone.

A good pump is nice to have already. If problems arise you don't want to be looking with a hungry baby or have to give formula while looking.

I know of no effective way to prep the nipples although you may be told to do so.

Just because your little one can verbally ask to nurse does not mean he or she is too old to breastfeed.

Feeding on demand is not spoiling them nor will you have an obese child. Most breastfed babies will not overeat. Rolls are normal on babies. So too are leaner babies. Just like adults are all different so too are babies.

Breastfed babies need to wake at night to feed even up to a year of age or older.

m0mof6 09-29-2012 09:56 PM

Bad- leakage problems, sore nipples, over/under production issues, time/leaving baby (pumping, engorgement from forgetting to pump, baby not taking a bottle), the first month, being a paci, nighttime waking a that never seem to end,

Good- breast feeding relationship, no formula to buy or prepare, lots listed in pp.

Good and bad vary for each bfing relationship. I listed all I could think of for bad but none of them occurred with all my kids. I've had 3 exclusively bf (bottles of bm count) and 3 supplemented with formula for convenience. One was bad enough at the beginning I almost quit but they all had months of a good bfing relationship.

AnnaRO 09-29-2012 10:19 PM

Everyone is different. What's true for one woman may not be for you. Do not think you will have all the problems that other's have told you about, but nor should you expect it to be perfect.

Here's my, 'what I wish I'd been told':
After a few days, it hurts so bad that you'll cry when baby latches on. This lasts about a week or two. If you make sure that you get a good latch EVERY TIME, the soreness goes away faster.

If you have oversupply issues you'll have 'problems'. Constant leaking, especially in the first few months. You might even be able to squirt across the room. When nursing on one side you may soak through your bra on the other side even if you are wearing a breast pad.

My first child woke up every 3 hours at night for the first 6 months of her life, and then woke up about 2 or 3 times a night after that. My son started sleeping 5 to 6 hours stretches at less than a month old.

A good support system is super important. Don't give up because it's so very rewarding and worth it! It gives you the sweetest bonding moments you will ever have and nursing helped me to bond with my son after a traumatic birth experience. I LOVE nursing.

qsefthuko 09-29-2012 10:25 PM

As a pp mentioned good and bad is subjective.

She mentioned using you as a paci but mama was there before pacis were invented. In some countries they are called dummies. You are not a substitute for the paci. The pacis are substitutes for mama. It is normal for babies to want comfort. For me I prefer they get that comfort from me and not a paci. For some mamas they feel tied down. For some it is the bad that you cannot pass the feeding on to someone else. For others this is a privilege.

Ready2Bmommy 09-30-2012 12:05 AM

Yes to all!!

It's not always easy, but it is well worth it! It took me having my second to know that nursing in public is fine! Now I do it anywhere. Even some nursing mothers don't know much about bfing. Don't be afraid to ask for help but think about whether or not the advice makes sense before trusting it.

While in the hospital with my first, my ob said that anytime I wanted to quit, I should give it another 24 hours. If I still wanted to quit then, I could decide then. My ds weaned himself at 15 months, and my dd is 12 months and going strong. It was good advice, for me at least!

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 15749284)
It's okay to feed baby at the restaurant table instead of the bathroom.

Feeding bottles can cause supply issues.

No matter how natural breastfeeding is there is still a learning curve for both mother and baby.

OB nurses in general know little to nothing about breastfeeding. They just don't know how little they really know.

Doctors often seem to know even less.

A good lactation consultant can do wonders to help.

Look for La Leche League. Knowing other nursing moms can make you feel less alone.

A good pump is nice to have already. If problems arise you don't want to be looking with a hungry baby or have to give formula while looking.

I know of no effective way to prep the nipples although you may be told to do so.

Just because your little one can verbally ask to nurse does not mean he or she is too old to breastfeed.

Feeding on demand is not spoiling them nor will you have an obese child. Most breastfed babies will not overeat. Rolls are normal on babies. So too are leaner babies. Just like adults are all different so too are babies.

Breastfed babies need to wake at night to feed even up to a year of age or older.

Dory 09-30-2012 12:22 AM

I second a lot of the other posts. It doesn't always hurt, though. Other than a newborn with a strong latch, mine never hurt. And even that was just at latch on.

The bad: (this might not be bad though) in that brand new stage - as in it happened when we were still in the hospital - you might fall asleep once baby is nursing. It might be a hormone thing, but as soon as he was nursing good, zzz.
No one else can get baby to sleep, and once baby is a little older, they won't be as willing to babysit a bf baby. But that also depends on your support system, are you an efficient pumper, etc.

EmmaGM 09-30-2012 12:38 AM

Accidentally spraying DS in the eye when I letdown. I have a thread a ways down about all the bad stuff I went through.

I just REALLY wanted to second pp suggestion to have a pump ready before baby comes. I didn't think I'd need one and then had huge oversupply and engorgement issues. I was scrambling to find a pump, any pump at 1wk pp.

Also, while I do feel tied down a LOT of the time, I also love that I comfort DS when nothing else can.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using DS Forum

sweetpeapumpkinbaby 09-30-2012 06:34 AM

Just because he has teeth, you don't have to stop nursing. If
I had stopped nursing when my little one got teeth (which a lot of people tell me they did), we would've only nursed for 3 1/2 months! We're still nursing at 13 month old and 15 teeth! :jawdrop:

If you're not comfortable nursing in public, get a cover, or wear a tank under your shirt, or (what we do) use a ring sling to cover your exposed tummy. Practice and you'll be able to nurse anywhere without flashing people :blush:.