Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Can anyone give me a reason why to forward face at one year? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448795)

Crazy Cat Lady In Kansas 09-29-2012 10:42 PM

Can anyone give me a reason why to forward face at one year?

For a class I am writing an argumentative paper and I have chosen to make a case for changing the laws regarding car seat usage. Specifically, extended rear facing as law.

I have all the info I need to make a great case FOR it, but part of the process entails me understanding the opposing view. Can anyone give me a reason they have heard or justification for not rear facing?

So far I can only come up with it being a rite of passage of sorts which is totally flimsy and then the often brought up broken legs/where do their legs go? What else has anyone heard as to why they were against keeping their child rear facing?

Thank you in advance!

KaleidoscopeEyes 09-29-2012 10:47 PM

Re: Can anyone give me a reason why to forward face at one year?

i know some people turn because their babies cry the whole time while RFing and they feel that is a danger/distraction while driving.

also some people really dont know any better. a lot of dr's tell them at the 1 year check that they can turn the baby around.

BeccaSueCongdon 09-29-2012 10:48 PM

A friend of mine forward faced her son on a LONG car trip bc he was screaming the whole time while rear facing and they had too much stuff to have her sit back there with him. Not sure why she couldn't move stuff to the front seat, but that was her story.

We FF my DD on a trip in my husbands ford f250 extended cab because the seats wouldn't fit rear facing. I wasn't sure what else to do. :-( and I was a wreck the whole time. I'm sure the solution would be to buy a properly fitting carseat.

Maybe people wanting to let their LO snack in the car but wanting to see their face so they know they're not choking?

Lol, I sound like I've really thought this through. My DD is still RF (18 mos) and DS is still in his 5 pt harness FF at 4 years and 50lbs. I get all kids of crazy looks from great grandma.

Crazy Cat Lady In Kansas 09-29-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes (Post 15749446)
i know some people turn because their babies cry the whole time while RFing and they feel that is a danger/distraction while driving.

also some people really dont know any better. a lot of dr's tell them at the 1 year check that they can turn the baby around.

Thank you for responding, those are both good points!

sisu 09-29-2012 10:51 PM

Easier to get the child in/out of a FF seat; child is happier/better entertained by being FF and will stop screaming, which makes the parent less distracted and a safer driver; easier to see FF child in rear-view mirror, therefore it's easier to make sure child hasn't choked on their Chicken McNuggets... ;)

BeccaSueCongdon 09-29-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarchMama2010
Easier to get the child in/out of a FF seat; child is happier/better entertained by being FF and will stop screaming, which makes the parent less distracted and a safer driver; easier to see FF child in rear-view mirror, therefore it's easier to make sure child hasn't choked on their Chicken McNuggets... ;)

Cheese roll ups over here. :hey!hey!:

qsefthuko 09-29-2012 11:01 PM

I forward faced my first 2 because the carseats wouldn't fit in our car rearfacing. Of course I knew nothing about extended rearfacing back then. I honestly don't know if any non infant carseat would have fit rearfacing in the car we then owned.

I remember commenting to my mother at the time if they want kids to rearface until 1 they need to ensure carseats are made to actually fit in the cars rearfacing. I had just spent some time trying to no avail to fit the new carseat into our car rearface so was quite mad.

So I have

Carseats don't fit rearfacing

Babies cry more rearfacing

Broken legs from accidents while rearfacing

Nausea from motion while rearfacing(some kids cannot tolerate a moving vehicle and rearfacing.

Choking hazard because you cannot see baby while he/she is eating

Cruel to scrunch legs

Isolating on long trips if baby is by himself in the backseat

That is all I can think of.

BeccaSueCongdon 09-29-2012 11:35 PM

You sort of have this already but you could even address it from an AP slant and say it can mess with baby's attachment to be isolated and facing a seatback?

It's neat that you're writing rebuttals to all these!

brigala 09-30-2012 09:18 AM

A fear of forgetting the child in the back seat. There are some indications that ERF may have an impact on the number of kids who die from hyperthermia from being forgotten in the car.
It's important to realize that accidental hyperthermia in cars kills a handful of children every year, whereas car accidents are the #2 cause of accidental death for kids in the 1-4 age group (#1 after age 4, when drowning risk decreases slightly and there is less compliance with using child safety seats overall). So, statistically speaking, hyperthermia is a poor argument against ERF, but it is a valid fear and it's wise to take some extra precautions when you have a child (of any age) rear facing in the car.

Other reasons include perception of discomfort and wanting to be able to see the child's face in the mirror. Also social pressure, including family pressure, and the perception that the parent is "babying" the child. Accusations of being overprotective.

SkyeSpade 09-30-2012 09:21 AM

I've also gotten the car seat cost argument, from parents who have from straight from bucket to a FF/booster combo. When a could outgrows their infant seat, they don't want to have to buy 2 more seats, but instead just 1 to save money.