Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   How do you decline family fundraisers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448832)

crazyeyesmcgee 09-30-2012 07:26 AM

How do you decline family fundraisers?

I have lots of nieces and nephews that are school age and it seems like we are constantly getting asked to buy one thing or another to support their school stuff. First of all, it's not anything that we would want or need, secondly it's always ridiculously overpriced and thirdly we do NOT have the funds in the budget to buy anything outside of our necessities.

How do we diplomatically say no without sounding like aunt & uncle Scrooge? We love these kiddos and I hate that they take it personally because everyone else in the family is buying something. :sadno:

expaik 09-30-2012 07:49 AM

Re: How do you decline family fundraisers?

This is a major pet peeve of mine. I especially hate it when co-workers and close friends ask me to buy their kids' fund-raising stuff. For me, it's easier to say no to a kid (I just explain the situation simply and they usually accept it) than to an adult. I get the barely supressed look of disappointment that I'm not supporting their children's entrepreneurial attempts and a worthy cause, and I feel they will start judging all my "splurges" from then on.

kellfran 09-30-2012 08:08 AM

I can't stand this either. It seems my kids are always coming home with something to sell-cookie dough, sees candy, gift bags. We don't even bother to sell them because I don't want to put that pressure on others ESP in this economy and when the stuff they are selling aren't even that great for the cost. I think the biggest problem I have is the whole "sell 10000 items and get an iPad thing" ugg. At the first of the year I give each of my kids classes $50-100 depending. Our school does scrip and I will do that often too.

knodceo 09-30-2012 08:12 AM

I hate it as well. I just look politely and say I don't see anything that we need. If there is something for under $10 I can manage, but that's rare. Normally for neighborhood kids, I say no or come back...which they never do!

Angel89411 09-30-2012 10:12 AM

I just say "no thank you" or "I'm not really interested but thanks for asking" I think when our kids start doing fundraisers, we will just write a check for some amount we feel we can afford, if anything, and send that in.

pumkinsmommy 09-30-2012 10:14 AM

Would it be in your budget to make a $5 donation to the school? If not, then explain to the child it is not in the budget.

crazyeyesmcgee 09-30-2012 10:40 AM

Thanks ladies. I'm glad I'm not alone with feeling irritated/frustrated about the fundraisers. I totally understand that their schools need money, but one of my nieces goes to Catholic school, and these days it seems like the kids are doing these things every other month. Who can afford that?! We literally have NO wiggle room in our budget, but of course my mom, dad and sister (and in laws, too) look at me like I have two heads when I say we can't afford to buy anything. I'm very nice and polite about it, but apparently it's not "acceptable" to say no to family :headscratch:

KaleidoscopeEyes 09-30-2012 11:00 AM

well i either say i dont have the money or in recent case my friend asked me to buy boyscout popcorn and i told her no i will not support the boyscouts due to the fact that they discriminate.

Angel89411 09-30-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyesmcgee
Thanks ladies. I'm glad I'm not alone with feeling irritated/frustrated about the fundraisers. I totally understand that their schools need money, but one of my nieces goes to Catholic school, and these days it seems like the kids are doing these things every other month. Who can afford that?! We literally have NO wiggle room in our budget, but of course my mom, dad and sister (and in laws, too) look at me like I have two heads when I say we can't afford to buy anything. I'm very nice and polite about it, but apparently it's not "acceptable" to say no to family :headscratch:

I really do hate that attitude. Just because you are family does not mean I suddenly have the money to spare.

Beccadssmomma 09-30-2012 11:15 AM

me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes (Post 15750539)
well i either say i dont have the money or in recent case my friend asked me to buy boyscout popcorn and i told her no i will not support the boyscouts due to the fact that they discriminate.