Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Relocating to Phoenix Arizona (east valley) need help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448861)

Hokuao2003 09-30-2012 09:50 AM

Relocating to Phoenix Arizona (east valley) need help

MY husband just accepted a job offer in the East Valley. He will be working by the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. We don't want to commute more than 30 minutes. We want an area with good schools, safe neighborhood and dare I say.... Not ghetto (haha) where would you recommend? We won't really have time to go out and look ahead of us moving there so we need help.

mypeanut09 09-30-2012 02:10 PM

Re: Relocating to Phoenix Arizona (east valley) need help

I'm in the west valley so I'm not much help. a 30 minute commute is pretty common here (TRAFFIC!) especially in that area since it's near the 10 and 17 junction. I work 6 miles from where I live and it takes me 20 minutes to get there even with traffic going the opposite direction.

valkynlu 10-04-2012 10:12 AM

It's hard to say, honestly. That area has some really good neighborhoods mixed with not-so good ones.

A 30 minute commute is pretty standard from most areas of the Valley. I live in west Mesa and it takes me about 30-35 minutes. Even if you are a few miles away, the street traffic often takes just as long as using the freeways.

Awhatukee (technically Phoenix, but it's its own little community. I think the zip code is 85044) might be a good bet. Lots of families there and it's pretty safe from what I understand. It's fairly close to the airport as well.

Depending on your budget, Tempe and Scottsdale are usually a good bet safety-wise. Tempe is a college town, which has its pros and cons (really good coffee shops! haha). Scottsdale is pretty nice, though the north side of that has the stereotype of being snooty and snobbish.

peaceloveandtattoos 10-10-2012 11:33 AM

I live in mesa and it is very hit or miss. Gilbert is nice and parts of mesa are super nice! Ahwatukee is nice but expensive like Scottsdale. If you have a.more.specific area in mind, let me know and I'll help if I can!

Blondie4Christ 01-02-2013 10:40 PM

Probably a bit late, but +1 for Ahwatukee, it's quite and I can get to Sky Harbor in 10-20 minutes. There are parts that are expensive but also parts that are reasonably priced. The only problem is if you find a house too deep in Awhatukee it can take a while to get out. I've had friends drive 5-10 miles to get to the freeway; we made an effort to only be a 1.5 mile.

abeccarelli 01-16-2013 02:41 PM

Count me in for Ahwatukee! We live here (buying a home in Chandler though). We just moved here a year ago. Good public schools, although we go to SJB private...if you would like to look at it let me know :)

If you look off Elliot you can fin some older but nice homes! If you look off Chandler they homes are new and it is a really nice and pricey area.

It seems there are lots of mommies from Ahwatukee here!!!