Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   To Wean or Not to Wean. I'm so torn. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448863)

AndreaJP 09-30-2012 09:59 AM

To Wean or Not to Wean. I'm so torn.

Hey mamas!

I am currently nursing my 1 y.o. DS about 3 or 4 times a day. Morning, naps, and bedtime.

I'm returning to work on Wednesday and am so torn.

I work days and nights, so some mornings he will go to daycare before i get home from my night shift and will be in bed by the time i get home from my day shift.

I only work part time (about 10 shift a month)

I feel like I will confuse him if I stick to our nursing schedule 3/4 of the time and expect him to do without nursing 1/4 of the time.

My DD weaned naturally about 3 months after I returned to work and I think it was because of the inconsistent schedule.

What would you do? Will he get used to the schedule?

Important points:

*he drinks homo milk with meals
*he WILL NOT take a bottle
*my mom, DH or Daycare will be caring for him while I am at work

EuphoricDysphoria 09-30-2012 11:59 AM

I personally wouldn't wean. I'd like your LO take the lead and self wean if the new schedule isn't ok for him. I would pump on the feeds you aren't with LO as well.

Leaner 10-01-2012 08:44 AM

Re: To Wean or Not to Wean. I'm so torn.

:yeahthat: I wouldn't wean, just nurse him when you are together and let him self wean. Which he may do, but you never know.

mommabritt 10-01-2012 09:06 PM

First I have to mention that I seriously lol'd at 'he drinks homo milk'. I've never heard that term in that context. :rofl:

I would keep going. Like another pp said, it's not an all or nothing thing. You can nurse once a day for months without issue- if that's what you want.

*disclaimer there, Im not gay bashing. I am actually staying with gay family members right now and I think I'll have to ask for 'homo milk' in the morning with my cereal.

Connor 10-01-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaner
:yeahthat: I wouldn't wean, just nurse him when you are together and let him self wean. Which he may do, but you never know.

This.

AndreaJP 10-02-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommabritt (Post 15757462)
First I have to mention that I seriously lol'd at 'he drinks homo milk'. I've never heard that term in that context. :rofl:

I would keep going. Like another pp said, it's not an all or nothing thing. You can nurse once a day for months without issue- if that's what you want.

*disclaimer there, Im not gay bashing. I am actually staying with gay family members right now and I think I'll have to ask for 'homo milk' in the morning with my cereal.

LOL.

I've never made that association, everyone I know calls homogenized milk homo milk for short. (I'm a Public Health Nurse and we use that term professionally too!) I guess it would be funny to hear if it isn't the norm.

AndreaJP 10-02-2012 10:30 AM

Thank you for your replies mamas! I am feeling a bit better about it. The last daycare trial he had, he slept no problem without nursing so I think he is just used to nursing pre-nap when mama is around. When I'm not around, he will adjust.

Now I'm just concerned about my comfort and engorgement the first few times I am away for 12 hours! lol

thtr4me 10-02-2012 01:23 PM

Do you have a pump? I would take one just in case to relieve pressure. The last thing you want is to return to work and end up with painful clogged ducts, or mastitis.

erlyjo 10-02-2012 05:11 PM

Lol! Glad I kept reading the posts. I thought homo milk was maybe a typo!

Connor 10-02-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thtr4me
Do you have a pump? I would take one just in case to relieve pressure. The last thing you want is to return to work and end up with painful clogged ducts, or mastitis.

Yep. I would just reduce pumping sessions by a few minutes every couple days until you stop.