Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WWYD? give up on nursing or keep trying?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448938)

shortcake2386 09-30-2012 02:12 PM

WWYD? give up on nursing or keep trying??

dd, 3 months old, has some issues we didnt catch until she was 6 weeks old. she cant suck(high palate, small jaw, low muscle tone) i cant get an answer as to where she can learn or not. we've been bottle feeding BM since about 8 weeks(bc with nursing, then supplementing she still was burning too many calories and not gaining weight) she had a GREAT LATCH just couldnt get out enough milk bc she cant keep suction. so ive been pumping and bottle feeding. i try to latch her on at least once a week but finally got the "ok" to try every feeding for 5 minutes. they were very blunt that she wouldnt get anything but it wouldnt hurt to try. problem is she wont latch on anymore. nothing. she tries but just slips off bc she has no suction:( should i keep trying? or give up and just pump? i HATE pumping but i know BM is better for her so if she cant actually ever nurse im ok with pumping as long as possible.

waterisntsomething 09-30-2012 02:30 PM

Re: WWYD? give up on nursing or keep trying??

Maybe try a nipple shield? DS had issues latching at first b/c of my flat nipple and after about 8 weeks with the shield he didn't need it anymore. She might like the texture too b/c she's used to bottles. I would look around for a local la leche league too.

shortcake2386 09-30-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterisntsomething (Post 15751269)
Maybe try a nipple shield? DS had issues latching at first b/c of my flat nipple and after about 8 weeks with the shield he didn't need it anymore. She might like the texture too b/c she's used to bottles. I would look around for a local la leche league too.

yeah i need to get a smaller nipple shield. she tries with it but cant stay on. i cant decide if i should keep trying or just give up for good:/

tibeca 09-30-2012 03:00 PM

Trying isn't hurting anyone, even if it is only once a day. Worst case, she never gets it. If you don't try, there's a 100% chance she won't nurse, KWIM?

Ebeuchat 09-30-2012 03:09 PM

I would keep trying! Babies grow and. develop so fast that one day she might get it to work and have the muscle memory to repeat it! Good luck mama!

strongwoman 09-30-2012 03:13 PM

I say keep trying with the shield. I hope it gets better! But, if its getting you frustrated or upset, I think it would be better for your sanity if you went to bottle feeding her BM.

l_Kimmie_l 09-30-2012 03:13 PM

On day I had a baby that would not nurse more than 3 seconds 2 times per day. THen I had a baby that nurses all day long. You just never know.

waterisntsomething 09-30-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386 (Post 15751286)
yeah i need to get a smaller nipple shield. she tries with it but cant stay on. i cant decide if i should keep trying or just give up for good:/

That was part of his problem too. His mouth was just so small at first.

shortcake2386 09-30-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterisntsomething (Post 15751410)
That was part of his problem too. His mouth was just so small at first.

she's still only 9lbs. i guess it worries me more that the sucked, at least a little, before the seizures and now she cant latch on at all:/ guess ill mention it to the neuro next week and keep trying.

bluedaisyma 09-30-2012 04:59 PM

I would get an SNS and you can kind of drip the milk into her mouth while she is on the boob to help her. I would get her help (PT?) for her suck issues as well...are you working with an LC?